Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
So I have comer to the conclusion, for now, to boycott Conestoga Mall for their pettiness when it comes to the LRT. I could understand their concern if park and ride came out of hand, like it did at Yorkdale (and we got away with park in ride for years there), but to issue warnings on the first day of regular service is not cool. There are not a lot of stores in particular that I need to go to at Conestoga Mall, maybe Old Navy for t-shirts and look around at the Apple Store, but for sure their attitude has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Me thinks the LRT should have stopped at Northfield, and I am surprised the Region wouldn't have had something in place. Conestoga shouldn't benefit if they're not willing to put anything into it.

Greed has a new name, and it's Conestoga Mall.

Another timelapse video found on Reddit. This time Conestoga to Fairway from the front of the train.

I am really surprised that a portion of the Conestoga parking lot was not set a side as a park and ride.
Seems like an oversight.

Are there any other park and ride spots besides Fairview?
As has been stated to the end in the thread, park at home, ride bus to LRT :p
(06-27-2019, 12:52 AM)Momo26 Wrote: As has been stated to the end in the thread, park at home, ride bus to LRT :p

Exactly. I don't understand why someone would drive their vehicle, just to park it in order to take public transit? Why not just take public transit to begin with - or drive? It's not like there are many neighbourhoods in the city without adequate service, including north Waterloo.
ac3r Wrote:
Quote:Exactly. I don't understand why someone would drive their vehicle, just to park it in order to take public transit? Why not just take public transit to begin with - or drive? It's not like there are many neighbourhoods in the city without adequate service, including north Waterloo.

Irrational prejudice against the bus.

It's not a normal situation this week. It seems like a significant proportion of ridership this week is joyriders eager to take advantage of a new technology while it's free of charge. They're not transit users. They're not interested in taking the bus, they "know" what buses are like (even if they've never taken one in this region, let alone tried out the new routings). Once regular service starts, these people will be nowhere to be seen, and the people leaving their cars at Conestoga Mall will be so few that the mall can just ignore them.

Only four days until regular service, thankfully.

My conclusion is that GRT shouldn't have scrapped the 200 service during this two-week "free" period. I would be taking it rather than enduring the crowds on the LRT, and switched to the train when they abate. I have little choice but to take it right now (I might bike or drive tomorrow to avoid it), unfortunately.
(06-27-2019, 05:57 AM)ac3r Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 12:52 AM)Momo26 Wrote: As has been stated to the end in the thread, park at home, ride bus to LRT :p

Exactly. I don't understand why someone would drive their vehicle, just to park it in order to take public transit? Why not just take public transit to begin with - or drive? It's not like there are many neighbourhoods in the city without adequate service, including north Waterloo.
On Sunday we drove to Fairview park to hop on the iON for the multicultural festival to avoid the hassle of parking downtown. We live in a Sunday transit desert. The 33 doesn’t run on Sunday's and the nearest walk to another stop is over 40 minutes away. I can see a use case for people say in Conestogo or other north end exurbs using a park and ride.

Just curious, why didn't you just drive downtown? There's plenty of free parking on Sundays and it's not congested at all unlike Fairway.
(06-27-2019, 07:21 AM)neonjoe Wrote:
(06-27-2019, 05:57 AM)ac3r Wrote: Exactly. I don't understand why someone would drive their vehicle, just to park it in order to take public transit? Why not just take public transit to begin with - or drive? It's not like there are many neighbourhoods in the city without adequate service, including north Waterloo.
On Sunday we drove to Fairview park to hop on the iON for the multicultural festival to avoid the hassle of parking downtown. We live in a Sunday transit desert. The 33 doesn’t run on Sunday's and the nearest walk to another stop is over 40 minutes away. I can see a use case for people say in Conestogo or other north end exurbs using a park and ride.
I agree, I did the same when I used the LRT, I parked at Park and Ride.  I know the strong proponents of transit on here say take the bus, but, baby steps.  Lets get people using the LRT regardless of how they get to the station, then start working up to full transit experience including buses.  It is a major cultural shift we are talking about here.,  People will change and adjust.  My kids are likely going to end up being very transit dependent because we have traveled a lot and utilize transit systems in other cities so my children don't view public transit with a negative stigma.  As the older car dependent people age and lose their drivers licence, they will learn to rely on the transit too.  Eventually it will become the norm for the urban populations of the Region.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and we have only started to build what I believe is going to be an amazing city and the envy of many cities in  North America... So lets all stay positive and encourage new people to try the LRT.  If each of us gets a new person to try, we will be on our way. I know personally I have already gotten three families to try and they are very impressed.  They don't see any of the complaints that people on here are talking about because they aren't experts  in transit.  So, remember the lens that many people are viewing through is different than your own. I predict that this is going to be huge success and that the second phase will be built sooner than later based on the success.
I’m not sure you guys realize how many people not in KW are trying out the ION this week. I know a bunch of people from Guelph that have come out and a few people from London as well.

This is still a novelty for lots of people in the area that aren’t served by busses.

I don’t blame Conestoga Mall for not giving up their parking spots for free. Although I think a better business decision would have been to embrace the free week. Advertise to people they could come and park this week only and then make it clear that once regular service starts they aren’t a park and ride.

I agree that it’s unlikely to be a big problem long term. There’s generally a lot of free/cheap parking around the places the ION goes (including uptown).
Rainrider22 Wrote:
Quote:I agree, I did the same when I used the LRT, I parked at Park and Ride.  I know the strong proponents of transit on here say take the bus, but, baby steps.  Lets get people using the LRT regardless of how they get to the station, then start working up to full transit experience including buses.  It is a major cultural shift we are talking about here.,  People will change and adjust.  My kids are likely going to end up being very transit dependent because we have traveled a lot and utilize transit systems in other cities so my children don't view public transit with a negative stigma.  As the older car dependent people age and lose their drivers licence, they will learn to rely on the transit too.  Eventually it will become the norm for the urban populations of the Region.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and we have only started to build what I believe is going to be an amazing city and the envy of many cities in  North America... So lets all stay positive and encourage new people to try the LRT.  If each of us gets a new person to try, we will be on our way. I know personally I have already gotten three families to try and they are very impressed.  They don't see any of the complaints that people on here are talking about because they aren't experts  in transit.  So, remember the lens that many people are viewing through is different than your own. I predict that this is going to be huge success and that the second phase will be built sooner than later based on the success.

I'm actually focused on trying to get people to try the bus. A lot of people I'm talking to have been eager to try the LRT- even over and over again- but don't want to make a connection. I've been sending people schedules and talking to them about what it's actually like.

Hopefully your prediction is right; I love the positivity.
It's an uphill battle. One gentleman was of the impression that Ion fare was approximately $10; when I let him know it was the same as bus fare, which is $3.25 at most, he was genuinely surprised.
(06-27-2019, 08:26 AM)KevinL Wrote: It's an uphill battle. One gentleman was of the impression that Ion fare was approximately $10; when I let him know it was the same as bus fare, which is $3.25 at most, he was genuinely surprised.
Some people think we bought a monorail from the Simpsons too !! Those damn Shellbyville people !!

(06-27-2019, 08:26 AM)KevinL Wrote: It's an uphill battle. One gentleman was of the impression that Ion fare was approximately $10; when I let him know it was the same as bus fare, which is $3.25 at most, he was genuinely surprised.

I wonder if that's because a certain columnist in the region lied and said it was about that.
Just $3.25 from the northern most point of Waterloo to the southern most point in Cambridge - an easily $45 Uber ride! That's pretty amazing hah. Just so long your transfer doesn't expire!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »