Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 9 Vote(s) - 4.33 Average
General Road and Highway Discussion
Happy to see both the MUT and the roundabout! A little bit surprised, though, that there are no roundabouts planned at Strasburg or Fischer-Hallman.

(06-15-2019, 12:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Happy to see both the MUT and the roundabout! A little bit surprised, though, that there are no roundabouts planned at Strasburg or Fischer-Hallman.

This project doesn't touch Strasbourg nor Fischer-Hallman intersections.

The MUTs are good, but I don't have a great deal of confidence in them being executed well. The team presented this to ATAC and started by saying that they were shocked when council directed them to prioritize peds, bikes, and transit OVER cars, they said they'd never heard that before.  They spent the remainder of the meeting explaining how a roundabout with little to no provision for safe cycling or pedestrian activity is the only way they can achieve good level of service for car throughput at Westmount/Ottawa.

When I pointed out there were connections to be made to the west on Ottawa, they were surprised that such connections were there, despite being the same project team who is working on that section, where I already gave them feedback on making that connection.

I then pointed out that Kitchener is building a dutch roundabout, and the project team basically didn't care.

Frankly, my confidence in these particular project managers to build anything for cycling or walking is zero.
(06-15-2019, 10:17 AM)neonjoe Wrote: My parents got a notice about a rebuild of Ottawa Street from Alpine to Fisher-Hallman scheduled to start in 2020.

Google is proving extremely unhelpful in finding out more official information on this, and The Future Construction Projects section of https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...sures.aspx doesn't have it.

Can anyone here who's navigated City of Kitchener and/or Waterloo Region project pages before provide a link? I'm new at this game...
(06-15-2019, 02:56 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 10:17 AM)neonjoe Wrote: My parents got a notice about a rebuild of Ottawa Street from Alpine to Fisher-Hallman scheduled to start in 2020.

Google is proving extremely unhelpful in finding out more official information on this, and The Future Construction Projects section of https://www.regionofwaterloo.ca/en/livin...sures.aspx doesn't have it.

Can anyone here who's navigated City of Kitchener and/or Waterloo Region project pages before provide a link?  I'm new at this game...

i don't have a link but the information is here:

Wednesday June 26

4:30 pm to 7:00 pm
GRT (Chandler Room). 250 Strasburg Road, Kitchener
Was there an accident on the 401 yesterday? I was cycling through Riverside Park in Cambridge and heard a lot of sirens and saw two firetrucks rush past. I think that there were more than that that passed before I got to the street. Anyhow, eventually I got to the bridge over the 401 and saw this. I haven't found any news reports but it sounded like a lot of emergency vehicles were heading there.    
(06-15-2019, 01:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 12:08 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Happy to see both the MUT and the roundabout! A little bit surprised, though, that there are no roundabouts planned at Strasburg or Fischer-Hallman.

This project doesn't touch Strasbourg nor Fischer-Hallman intersections.
If it goes from alpine to Fischer-hallman  it does pass over Strasburg. Could the reason for not building a roundabout there be because of the fire station there. It doesn't make sense for them to not make a roundabout at Fischer-hallman, traffic there during rush hour can be backed up over the expressway Bridge. But overall I like the project.
I received a copy of the document, as I live in the affected area. These aren’t awesome pictures, but:

Fixed that for you.        
(06-16-2019, 09:41 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote:
(06-15-2019, 01:35 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: This project doesn't touch Strasbourg nor Fischer-Hallman intersections.
If it goes from alpine to Fischer-hallman  it does pass over Strasburg. Could the reason for not building a roundabout there be because of the fire station there. It doesn't make sense for them to not make a roundabout at Fischer-hallman, traffic there during rush hour can be backed up over the expressway Bridge. But overall I like the project.

Yes, sorry my mistake. What I was thinking was that the MUT was built out to the entrance to Mclennan park, so the AT implementation will only be west of there.

In any case, I guess it's a little surprising, but there aren't capacity issues at Strasbourg, so they didn't have any reason to spend money building a roundabout.
(06-16-2019, 01:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-16-2019, 09:41 AM)ZEBuilder Wrote: If it goes from alpine to Fischer-hallman  it does pass over Strasburg. Could the reason for not building a roundabout there be because of the fire station there. It doesn't make sense for them to not make a roundabout at Fischer-hallman, traffic there during rush hour can be backed up over the expressway Bridge. But overall I like the project.

Yes, sorry my mistake. What I was thinking was that the MUT was built out to the entrance to Mclennan park, so the AT implementation will only be west of there.

In any case, I guess it's a little surprising, but there aren't capacity issues at Strasbourg, so they didn't have any reason to spend money building a roundabout.
It could also be a a space issue because of the gas station the A&W and the Zehrs being so close to the intersection.
Thanks Rob and Gary, much appreciated!
Kind of annoying they don't even acknowledge the project online until after the public meeting.

...As a self proclaimed nerd in this regard.
Seems like new curbs and base pavement are in along King St closer to the Central / Spring side of things. Sidewalks and planters are being worked on now. Kinda wished they finished Bridgeport first, but what're ya gonna do?

I saw an Apple Maps branded car (with a huge multi-camera device on its roof) driving down King Street this morning. I was in front of THEMUSEUM around 8:45. I don't know if Apple Maps currently offers a Streetview-like mode, but it will be updated sometime soon if it does!
(06-26-2019, 09:11 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: I saw an Apple Maps branded car (with a huge multi-camera device on its roof) driving down King Street this morning. I was in front of THEMUSEUM around 8:45. I don't know if Apple Maps currently offers a Streetview-like mode, but it will be updated sometime soon if it does!

My parents saw it in London.

They do, but I don't believe it's available here, and they are expanding here.

https://www.apple.com/ca/newsroom/2019/0...in-canada/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »