Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-20-2019, 11:18 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 08:53 AM)KevinT Wrote: I've always assumed that the derails are interlocked to the signal state (and the state of the rest of the system, i.e. OCS power off on the shared section, gauntlet tracks switches set, etc.)  Were they not?

Except during installation and testing, I had never observed the derail engaged until yesterday. Having said that, I misspoke, in that I agree it was probably already interlocked: I doubt the system would allow a non-red signal with the derail engaged. But until yesterday, it was not engaged, even when the signal was red.

Incidentally, a second point and a cute flip-up “derail” sign and blue light were recently installed. In addition to the inside point which sits on top the track and would lift the train up and pull it over the rail, there is now a second point on the outside which would push the train away from the track.

I believe CN insisted on the change in the original derail setup (which was sans flip-up derail sign).

The anti-LRT rhetoric is reaching a fever pitch with the launch tomorrow and articles all over the place on Facebook. I particularly like all the people who believe GRT cancelled bus service in the suburbs to force everyone to walk miles to reach the LRT instead. Or my favourite local idiot who thinks ION is "over two years late" and Grandlinq can just charge the region whatever they want to operate it in the future. So many people seem to think there is a massive multi-generational debt to be paid as opposed to a fixed operating cost contract.
(06-20-2019, 02:07 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I particularly like all the people who believe GRT cancelled bus service in the suburbs to force everyone to walk miles to reach the LRT instead. 

Well, there are routes that were meandering in the suburbs that got cut back to more frequent service on more main roads; but it's not miles more to walk, and it's generally to a better bus.
(06-20-2019, 02:07 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I particularly like all the people who believe GRT cancelled bus service in the suburbs to force everyone to walk miles to reach the LRT instead.

Technically they did in many area's. If someone is saying "miles" that is an exaggeration. 1/2 to 3/4 KM? Now that's accurate. They cancelled the service upon approval of the LRT in my neighbourhood. Frustrating for sure though, as many people don't want to walk 500-750 extra metres to get to the closest stop, especially when it is raining or -20º. Needless to say, if I wanted to use the LRT so I didn't need my car, it would be an issue many days simply because the bus stop went from being about 15m from my house to 700m.

One thing though, is that a lot of the housing changed, really almost no low-income housing in the 'hood now. We had one apartment complex that didn't renew leases so they could convert into luxury apartments maybe 2 years ago. The old tenant all used the bus, but since the LRT took that away, many moved (regardless of the lease).

But those grumbling about the GRT cancelling (or more like reducing) service is fairly truthful. As I said, in my case, the GRT is useless now.
(06-20-2019, 03:48 PM)jeffster Wrote: But those grumbling about the GRT cancelling (or more like reducing) service is fairly truthful. As I said, in my case, the GRT is useless now.

I think it's not truthful at all. The June 24th changes are a massive expansion of GRT service. More buses, more service hours, etc. By every metric it's a huge expansion.

It's also a re-organization. Some people are now further from transit, some are now closer. For those that are further I understand that sucks, but that doesn't make it a reduction.

It's expected to make 70% of trips of faster. Yes, that does mean there's some that will be slower, but transit is always going to be a compromise. Not every street will have a bus route.
The Record couldn't resist publishing an article about cost overruns to rain on the parade.

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/944...cle-delay/
Aaaand, guess who?

[Image: mcFWm31.jpg]

"Already a short and expensive trip, easily-predicted collisions just add to the "fun.""

(06-20-2019, 03:57 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(06-20-2019, 03:48 PM)jeffster Wrote: But those grumbling about the GRT cancelling (or more like reducing) service is fairly truthful. As I said, in my case, the GRT is useless now.

I think it's not truthful at all. The June 24th changes are a massive expansion of GRT service. More buses, more service hours, etc. By every metric it's a huge expansion.

It's also a re-organization. Some people are now further from transit, some are now closer. For those that are further I understand that sucks, but that doesn't make it a reduction.

It's expected to make 70% of trips of faster. Yes, that does mean there's some that will be slower, but transit is always going to be a compromise. Not every street will have a bus route.

Well, it's true if you are in a suburb that has reduced or eliminated services. In our case, it was eliminated (I've been in the same area for 29 years, the first 25 had transit). I think those complaining are the ones that are negatively affected. I have a car, so at the end of the day, it doesn't matter. I'll likely check out the ION by parking at the Charles and Benton garage and hop on a ride somewhere, but that sort of defeats to the purpose of 'ditching the car'.
Feb 22, 2017 ION LRV 501 arrives in Cambridge from Thunder Bay.        
Looks like it's going to be perfect weather for the launch tomorrow, sunny, not hot, not cold. Hoping to try it out either Saturday or Sunday, as I don't have any days off until the following Monday (yeah, trying for the free ride).

Wondering all who will be on hand tomorrow?
Well, today is the day! I hope that everyone that could take the day off to see history happen has a great time! I am at work now, but wish Ion and their staff the absolute best.
Same here, I am at work unfortunately. If anyone here goes, please send pics and updates of the experience....
jeffster Wrote:
Bob_McBob Wrote:I particularly like all the people who believe GRT cancelled bus service in the suburbs to force everyone to walk miles to reach the LRT instead.

Technically they did in many area's. If someone is saying "miles" that is an exaggeration. 1/2 to 3/4 KM? Now that's accurate. They cancelled the service upon approval of the LRT in my neighbourhood. Frustrating for sure though, as many people don't want to walk 500-750 extra metres to get to the closest stop, especially when it is raining or -20º. Needless to say, if I wanted to use the LRT so I didn't need my car, it would be an issue many days simply because the bus stop went from being about 15m from my house to 700m.

One thing though, is that a lot of the housing changed, really almost no low-income housing in the 'hood now. We had one apartment complex that didn't renew leases so they could convert into luxury apartments maybe 2 years ago. The old tenant all used the bus, but since the LRT took that away, many moved (regardless of the lease).

But those grumbling about the GRT cancelling (or more like reducing) service is fairly truthful. As I said, in my case, the GRT is useless now.

I'd be really curious to hear more details about these changes from people like you who both live in the suburbs, and pay attention to the details. I can say anecdotally that a lot of people I talk to from the suburbs tell me that GRT "is useless" but then can't give me any information about their closest routes like what the headways are at different times of days, or even how long it would take to get to a connection to a more useful route.

I was thinking about the places the new routes serve- and don't- the other day while looking at the new transit route. I thought it looked pretty good. I mean, someone in Lakeshore (as an example) can't really expect frequent service right outside his house, but he'll now have a half-hourly bus that connects to an LRT station with covered seating and an average wait of five minutes in the peak period. That's pretty good.

It's subjective, of course. I walk a kilometre to the bus right now, and I'm happy about it because the walk is not too hostile, and the bus service is good. Other people in that situation would not be happy and would consider that excessive. And if your walk were a kilometre to a bus that is less frequent, and requires a connection to another line, that walk might be excessive. But I do think the connection is important. Getting to the Ion seems like it will be easy for many people, and they may not be focusing on how much better that connection is going to be than to many of the bus routes that exist today.

Getting ready to head out the door now. Got my VIP pass in hand, and can't wait to board the 1st train! ... Even if it's only for two stops Sad

Coke
(06-21-2019, 09:04 AM)Coke6pk Wrote: Getting ready to head out the door now.  Got my VIP pass in hand, and can't wait to board the 1st train! ... Even if it's only for two stops Sad

Coke

I haven't looked into what the schedules are going to be like for today. I was going to be running around downtown later on - am I able to catch a tram back to Fairview Station from say, Market Station? Or is today going to be only operating on certain stations?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »