Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-17-2019, 11:20 PM)Square Wrote: Not sure, just it has blocked the freight train from doing it's northbound movement.  Could be in the Waterloo Square North parking lot?, someone past the gate went through after?  They mentioned it's still being investigated, so anyone in the area can check it out.

That explains why the freight train was holding south of William/Willow. I just got back from popping over to WTS to see what was happening. When I got there a few minutes ago, there were no LRVs around and the switch connecting to the freight track was lined for freight. A flatbed was on Caroline northbound just south of Erb, with one car, front corner smashed in, on the flatbed, and another, rear corner smashed in, hooked up for towing. WRPS, Keolis, and I think GRT were still on scene. I headed back and just for fun went past the freight train. Shortly after I turned around, the signal turned from red to yellow and after a few moments the train moved on.

So I’m wondering if possibly this was a car-on-car collision only? Is it definitely known to have also involved an LRV? I’m thinking that depending on exactly where a car-car collision occurred the rail authorities would be involved, if only to know that the collision investigation is occupying the intersection and keep rail traffic out until it is done.

(06-18-2019, 12:00 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 11:20 PM)Square Wrote: Not sure, just it has blocked the freight train from doing it's northbound movement.  Could be in the Waterloo Square North parking lot?, someone past the gate went through after?  They mentioned it's still being investigated, so anyone in the area can check it out.

That explains why the freight train was holding south of William/Willow. I just got back from popping over to WTS to see what was happening. When I got there a few minutes ago, there were no LRVs around and the switch connecting to the freight track was lined for freight. A flatbed was on Caroline northbound just south of Erb, with one car, front corner smashed in, on the flatbed, and another, rear corner smashed in, hooked up for towing. WRPS, Keolis, and I think GRT were still on scene. I headed back and just for fun went past the freight train. Shortly after I turned around, the signal turned from red to yellow and after a few moments the train moved on.

So I’m wondering if possibly this was a car-on-car collision only? Is it definitely known to have also involved an LRV? I’m thinking that depending on exactly where a car-car collision occurred the rail authorities would be involved, if only to know that the collision investigation is occupying the intersection and keep rail traffic out until it is done.

Thank you for the update.  I thought that I heard control say that a LRV was still in the intersection, could be wrong tho.
WRPS:

WA19141105-MVC PERSONAL INJURY
Posted Monday, 17 June, 2019
Incident #: WA19141105
Incident Date: Jun 17, 2019 11:12:00 PM
panamaniac Wrote:All as expected, no?  Give it a year or so to settle down.  I recall posting a couple of years ago that the trains would soon look like they were purchased at a scratch and dent sale!

That's how I feel. These incidents are different because they involve a new type of vehicle on the road, and they're rightly getting attention for that reason. But they're resulting from the same types of manoeuvres that cause fender benders and worse every day already.

It would have been more surprising if we had somehow gone a long stretch without incidents such as these. Unfortunately, this just reflects how a lot of people operate their vehicles.
Apparently trains are being doubled up today during testing!
Did anyone ever figure out what actually happened at Erb and Caroline last night?
(06-18-2019, 12:58 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Did anyone ever figure out what actually happened at Erb and Caroline last night?

Scanning social media today, my guess is what ijmorlan said above is what happened.  I mean no news outlet reported a LRT crash, and they would be all over it if 2 crashes happened in 1 day, lol

I saw some wayfinding signs being installed around the Willis Way station.

[Image: qbAYMg2.jpg]

[Image: ZzSdIAA.jpg]
I was just out and about and it looked like there was a lot of maintenance. Crews working on signals at Erb/Caroline and Mill St. Saw a street sweeper cleaning the tracks in front of Grand River Hospital.
Crews were doing detail work at the Victoria Park station over my lunch time as well - some form of caulking around some of the access panels in the concrete was applied and being trimmed up nice, smaller items like that.
(06-18-2019, 02:18 PM)boatracer Wrote: I was just out and about and it looked like there was a lot of maintenance. Crews working on signals at Erb/Caroline and Mill St. Saw a street sweeper cleaning the tracks in front of Grand River Hospital.

That probably explains why I have only seen two trains today.
(06-18-2019, 02:18 PM)boatracer Wrote: I was just out and about and it looked like there was a lot of maintenance. Crews working on signals at Erb/Caroline and Mill St. Saw a street sweeper cleaning the tracks in front of Grand River Hospital.

I passed the Keolis sweeper truck on my way into work this morning near Borden and Courtland, and heard on the radio that it was headed back to the OMSF for water.  On my lunch break I drove along Northfield from Parkside to Bridge and the ION right of way looked immaculate.  I'm guessing there's a huge cleanup effort going on ahead of opening day...
I also saw one on Charles at Water in the morning on my way to work.

(06-18-2019, 12:14 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: WRPS:

WA19141105-MVC PERSONAL INJURY
Posted Monday, 17 June, 2019
Incident #: WA19141105
Incident Date: Jun 17, 2019 11:12:00 PM

(06-18-2019, 12:58 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Did anyone ever figure out what actually happened at Erb and Caroline last night?

I live very close to there and I heard tires screeching at that time, and it was a looooong screech! I didn't hear any actual crash, so my guess is that a pedestrian or bike got hit by the car. That stretch along Caroline is pretty much a slide for cars: with 3.5 lanes of one way traffic, a slight curve, and on a downward slope. Recipe for disaster. Can't wait until these highway-roads are turned into two way streets again.
(06-18-2019, 03:52 PM)KevinT Wrote:

I passed the Keolis sweeper truck on my way into work this morning near Borden and Courtland, and heard on the radio that it was headed back to the OMSF for water.  On my lunch break I drove along Northfield from Parkside to Bridge and the ION right of way looked immaculate.  I'm guessing there's a huge cleanup effort going on ahead of opening day...
gotta clean up that coagulated brake dust / sand / lube mix somehow Tongue (if you ever want to see a great example of it the frog points at the Fairway double crossover had quite a bit when I was there this morning)

I also wouldn't doubt that they break out some power washers for the platforms too.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »