Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-17-2019, 04:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I don't understand how so many people choose to disregard no turn signs. At this point I don't think it's people not seeing them, I think they see them but are so entitled they figure they can just ignore them.

I live near that intersection, and constantly see people making illegal left hand turns there. This looks like one of those.

Are there increased penalties / fines for collisions with an LRV vs with a car? Cause that'd be nice.
(06-17-2019, 04:02 PM)taylortbb Wrote: I don't understand how so many people choose to disregard no turn signs. At this point I don't think it's people not seeing them, I think they see them but are so entitled they figure they can just ignore them.

When I was leaving Conestoga Mall yesterday I witnessed a near miss. The woman in front of me, attempting to turn right on a red (there are 4 red lights + the NO TURN TRAIN) - she probably got about 6" of the LRT, his horn blaring, of course.

But as I said, I see this stupidity all the time. The police should enforce rather than hanging out in parking lots or speed traps.
(06-17-2019, 04:13 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Are there increased penalties / fines for collisions with an LRV vs with a car? Cause that'd be nice.

The fines don't matter, because the police NEVER hand them out.

These illegal turns have been happening forever.  Just like the uptown lanes, zero enforcement has led to a culture where the laws don't matter.
(06-17-2019, 03:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Fourth LRV Collision:

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/another-cra...-1.4470241

Has this one been hit before?  Maybe the idiot/moron/clueless/bad drivers are trying to complete the set.
It looks like 508, 509, and 514 have previously been involved in collisions, so this is a new one.
Anyone want to start a betting pool on how many cars hit the trains here before 2020? Hahah that's 4 in such a small time.

Come on, if you can avoid driving into buses and transport trucks every day you drive your car, you can avoid driving into entire trains - which come equipped with warning bells, lights, barriers lines on the road as well as nearing a decade of the entire thing being under construction and in the media. You KNOW it's there, and that it's running.

(06-17-2019, 06:15 PM)ac3r Wrote: Anyone want to start a betting pool on how many cars hit the trains here before 2020? Hahah that's 4 in such a small time.

Come on, if you can avoid driving into buses and transport trucks every day you drive your car, you can avoid driving into entire trains - which come equipped with warning bells, lights, barriers lines on the road as well as nearing a decade of the entire thing being under construction and in the media. You KNOW it's there, and that it's running.

Averaging 1.5 every 2 weeks, x 28 weeks = 21
(06-17-2019, 04:23 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 04:13 PM)GtwoK Wrote: Are there increased penalties / fines for collisions with an LRV vs with a car? Cause that'd be nice.

The fines don't matter, because the police NEVER hand them out.

These illegal turns have been happening forever.  Just like the uptown lanes, zero enforcement has led to a culture where the laws don't matter.

And - the drivers in this region have finally been exposed for the idiots that they are.

Victoria and Strange/West gets to me, and I always wonder why no enforcement for the stunt driving that occurs there every, single, time.
(06-17-2019, 06:15 PM)ac3r Wrote: Anyone want to start a betting pool on how many cars hit the trains here before 2020? Hahah that's 4 in such a small time.

One, they are silent and two, they have the right of way at times. But since people in this region ignore stop signs, red lights, green lights, no left turns, no u-turns, and no right on red, and can't understand what it means to yield, this is going to happen.

If the police start to enforce, and actually charge people the max fines, then it will stop. You don't see driving like this anywhere in Ontario. Sure, you have the scammers in Brampton and Markham, but you don't have the same stupidity you see here.

Man...I need to see a doctor, this whole things is stressing me out.
Just heard on the scanner of a collision at Erb and Caroline! 2 in 1 day! Wow, this is going to be trouble!
All as expected, no? Give it a year or so to settle down. I recall posting a couple of years ago that the trains would soon look like they were purchased at a scratch and dent sale!
(06-17-2019, 11:00 PM)panamaniac Wrote: All as expected, no?  Give it a year or so to settle down.  I recall posting a couple of years ago that the trains would soon look like they were purchased at a scratch and dent sale!

Lol, true, but I wasn't expecting another Houston even before the service starts. Sad

(06-17-2019, 10:49 PM)Square Wrote: Just heard on the scanner of a collision at Erb and Caroline!  2 in 1 day!  Wow, this is going to be trouble!

How is a collision even possible there with the gates? I guess somebody could have already been in the intersection, but then I would have thought the train would be able to stop in that case.
(06-17-2019, 11:09 PM)KingandWeber Wrote:
(06-17-2019, 10:49 PM)Square Wrote: Just heard on the scanner of a collision at Erb and Caroline!  2 in 1 day!  Wow, this is going to be trouble!

How is a collision even possible there with the gates? I guess somebody could have already been in the intersection, but then I would have thought the train would be able to stop in that case.

Not sure, just it has blocked the freight train from doing it's northbound movement.  Could be in the Waterloo Square North parking lot?, someone past the gate went through after?  They mentioned it's still being investigated, so anyone in the area can check it out.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »