Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(06-04-2019, 05:41 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 05:08 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’m happy that we’ll be first, but not happy that Ottawa will be delayed yet more.

New race: Ion Phase 2 vs. Ottawa Phase 2!

That one, Ottawa might win. They're farther along in their planning/procurement.

I think I read somewhere that they will actually be starting work on the tunnel along Richmond Rd/the Parkway this year.

square Wrote:Does this mean simulated?, like as the final test for the vehicles? "demonstrated service operations," https://www.therecord.com/news-story/940...-roadways/

Relevant old post:

(03-07-2019, 11:50 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Right, this was all supposed to be done before substantial completion.

Quote:(iii) Demonstrated System Operation – Stage 1 LRT

A. After completion of the Operating System Acceptance Tests, and as a prerequisite of Certification of Substantial Completion for the Stage 1 LRT System, Project Co shall conduct a full demonstration of the LRT services.

B. This demonstration shall be called the "Demonstrated System Operation – Stage 1 LRT System" and shall involve day-to-day operation of the System in accordance with the Region-approved System Operations Plan. During the DSO, the System shall be operated continuously (without interruption), as though in passenger service (without passengers), in strict accordance with all operations and maintenance policies and procedures, until the System Service Availability specified in the Schedule 15-3 Article 3 Section 3.6 has been achieved over a consecutive 5-day operating period. Furthermore, the "Demonstrated System Operation - Stage 1 LRT System" shall include the demonstration of all routine and emergency procedures associated with operation of the Stage 1 LRT System. 

Quote:3.6 System Service Availability Levels for Substantial Completion Certificate
(a) As a prerequisite to the issuance of the Substantial Completion Certificate for the System, the DSSPF, computed in accordance with this Article, shall average at least 0.9200 for a period of 5 consecutive weekdays of demonstration train service during the System Demonstration. 

Quote:(ii) The Daily Scheduled Service Performance Factor (DSSPF) is determined by the following formula. DSSPF = (Actual Train in Service Points/Scheduled Train in Service Points).

(iii) Where:

A. Since Train in Service points are assigned for on time departure and on time arrival, the total number of points that can be earned per train trip is two points.

B. DSSPF shall be calculated on a daily basis and the daily totals shall be summed up and divided by the number of days in the Scheduled Service Plan for the month to determine the overall SSPF for the month.

C. Actual Train in Service Points are the summation of the daily Earned Departure Time Points and Earned Arrival Time Points earned by each train as per the tables below.

[Image: ygx03uF.png]
[Image: L8RnyzZ.png]

D. Any train trip that is canceled prior to entering revenue service or is taken out of revenue service earns no Departure or Arrival Time Points. Any train which fails to complete any part of its normal scheduled service train trip, such as missing an LRT Stop, earns no Departure or Arrival Time Points.

E. Project Co is required to provide train service at any time when service is scheduled and at least partial service, when possible, even if no points are earned for that train trip. 
(06-04-2019, 05:08 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 12:20 PM)drum118 Wrote: Ion Wins

No LRT by Canada Day, Ottawa city confirms

I’m happy that we’ll be first, but not happy that Ottawa will be delayed yet more.

However … for everyone who has been beating up on Bombardier, it would be informative to look at the delays on the Alstom trains in Ottawa. We had delays due to the "specialized equipment" (thanks Metrolinx) but it actually seems like the equipment problems in Ottawa are more severe than what we have seen here. Certainly not better than here.

Maybe Siemens or Skoda would be better … or maybe not ...
Yeah, I'd always thought the differences in delays were the trains for us, the stations for Ottawa. To hear they have significant train issues as well is sobering.
Oddly enough we're running Bombardier trains with an Alstom signalling system, and Ottawa is running Alstom trains with a Thales signalling system. Would things have gone better if we'd sole sourced Bombardier equipment and they had sole sourced Alstom? The software integration of disparate systems must be a nightmare, I'd imagine that each vendor does a fair share of finger pointing at the other which goes through several rounds before any actual problem gets solved. :-(
(06-05-2019, 01:36 PM)KevinT Wrote: Oddly enough we're running Bombardier trains with an Alstom signalling system, and Ottawa is running Alstom trains with a Thales signalling system.  Would things have gone better if we'd sole sourced Bombardier equipment and they had sole sourced Alstom?  The software integration of disparate systems must be a nightmare, I'd imagine that each vendor does a fair share of finger pointing at the other which goes through several rounds before any actual problem gets solved.  :-(

Funny enough, their problems are with doors getting jammed and nothing to do with the signalling system
And, as I understand it, our biggest problem with the signaling system is that it was selected something like a year (?) late.

Damage to 514 now "less than $20,000". For some reason Thomas Schmidt claims it hasn't been out testing until today.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ht-1491157
(06-05-2019, 02:38 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Damage to 514 now "less than $20,000". For some reason Thomas Schmidt claims it hasn't been out testing until today.

https://www.kitchenertoday.com/local-new...ht-1491157

Guess my seeing it go down king last night was a figment of my imagination then.
(06-05-2019, 01:40 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(06-05-2019, 01:36 PM)KevinT Wrote: Oddly enough we're running Bombardier trains with an Alstom signalling system, and Ottawa is running Alstom trains with a Thales signalling system.  Would things have gone better if we'd sole sourced Bombardier equipment and they had sole sourced Alstom?  The software integration of disparate systems must be a nightmare, I'd imagine that each vendor does a fair share of finger pointing at the other which goes through several rounds before any actual problem gets solved.  :-(

Funny enough, their problems are with doors getting jammed and nothing to do with the signalling system

"More significantly, sometimes the signalling software puts out error codes that cause the trains to stop moving.", CBC News May 10, 2019: RTG says it's finished building Confederation LRT Line
I don't think it's been posted here yet, but Keolis will be testing the system tomorrow with approximately 200 students acting as customers boarding and disembarking the trains at various stations. It should be a fun operation for those involved, and hopefully doesn't cause too much confusion from the public when they see people boarding the trains. It will be an early preview of what full service operation will look like with customers.

(06-06-2019, 12:24 PM)UrbanCanoe Wrote: I don't think it's been posted here yet, but Keolis will be testing the system tomorrow with approximately 200 students acting as customers boarding and disembarking the trains at various stations. It should be a fun operation for those involved, and hopefully doesn't cause too much confusion from the public when they see people boarding the trains. It will be an early preview of what full service operation will look like with customers.

So more of a Bronze Ticket contest for the rest of us then...
Lucky ducks!

Someone tried to turn in front of 509 because they "didn't see it" (credit to Tyler Leatherland‎ on Facebook).

[Image: SLQYvLq.jpg]

[Image: ivybyqX.jpg]
504 has decals.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »