Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
General Suburban Updates and Rumours
(05-28-2019, 09:54 AM)panamaniac Wrote: In an ideal world, there'd be a stop with access to Freeport Hospital, but I don't think it's contemplated.

I think it is contemplated, but not selected.

Keep in mind the current design follows the River Road extension from Fairway to Hwy 8, so does not get that close to King. I could see a stop possibly where it turns off River, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
The Record: Kitchener looks at development in Hidden Valley
(06-04-2019, 06:37 PM)Acitta Wrote: The Record: Kitchener looks at development in Hidden Valley

I don't know why they can't upzone some areas that are already developed right now instead of going for greenspace.
(06-04-2019, 07:30 PM)clasher Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 06:37 PM)Acitta Wrote: The Record: Kitchener looks at development in Hidden Valley

I don't know why they can't upzone some areas that are already developed right now instead of going for greenspace.

Good question. Many complain that greenspace reservations (including the greenbelt) restrict the supply of land, but just gloss right over the fact that zoning restrictions on already-developed areas also massively restrict the supply.

The way I look at it, our cities will stop growing at some point. But will it be when we reach the borders of our province and there is no more space, or will we use our supposedly highly developed brains and choose to stop before that point?
Wait for the strongest NIMBYism you've e ever seen

This seems short sighted
Looks like construction is starting at 863-883 Fairway Rd N they have completed marking out underground wiring and have an excavator onsite. They've also put up some low fencing.
I'm not sure I see a page for this development:

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/952...nu5ksjehra

If there is one, maybe someone can put this in there, or create one with more details.

I just wanted to raise this article because it bugs the heck out of me, and frankly, I'm disappointed with Mr. Osland's quotes.

This is within the zoning code, there is no required process. People feel entitled to say what others can do with their property within the existing zoning code?

And 12 storys isn't even that big.

I think this goes to show it does not matter what the development is, within the zoning, outside the zoning, small, large, people will complain.
(07-26-2019, 08:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure I see a page for this development:

If there is one, maybe someone can put this in there, or create one with more details.

I just wanted to raise this article because it bugs the heck out of me, and frankly, I'm disappointed with Mr. Osland's quotes.

This is within the zoning code, there is no required process. People feel entitled to say what others can do with their property within the existing zoning code?

I think this goes to show it does not matter what the development is, within the zoning, outside the zoning, small, large, people will complain.

Exactly - always have and always will.  It's not surprising and it's no big deal when nimbyism is just venting.
(07-26-2019, 08:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 08:39 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: I'm not sure I see a page for this development:

Exactly - always have and always will.  It's not surprising and it's no big deal when nimbyism is just venting.

"He believes such a development should be closer to post-secondary institutions and the core area of uptown."

... 1 block of Columbia from UW campus.
Wasn't it the same HOA that was up in arms of the Islamic prayer centre or whatever was planned on Erbsville Road?

(07-26-2019, 10:01 AM)Ace Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 08:53 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Exactly - always have and always will.  It's not surprising and it's no big deal when nimbyism is just venting.

"He believes such a development should be closer to post-secondary institutions and the core area of uptown."

I agree with the general thrust of what you are saying, but the distance is actually much more than “1 block”. While it is technically true that UW owns land at Fischer-Hallman and Columbia, only about 250m from the site, “distance to campus” really means at least the distance to South Campus, which starts at Westmount, 1km east of the site; and really one should take an academic building, or the Hagey Boulevard entrance, 2km east of the site.

Unfortunately I also agree with others that the site plan will probably be terrible. It should be a single podium, with an entrance absolutely as close as possible to the Sobey’s mall. Really there should be a continuous portico linking to the Sobey’s mall, but this burg doesn’t do situational awareness in planning (specifically, the situation of being in a location with weather). Better yet, build the towers above the mall and leave the vacant site for the future. Single-story buildings are a ridiculous way of providing shopping.
(07-26-2019, 12:38 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(07-26-2019, 10:01 AM)Ace Wrote: "He believes such a development should be closer to post-secondary institutions and the core area of uptown."

I agree with the general thrust of what you are saying, but the distance is actually much more than “1 block”. While it is technically true that UW owns land at Fischer-Hallman and Columbia, only about 250m from the site, “distance to campus” really means at least the distance to South Campus, which starts at Westmount, 1km east of the site; and really one should take an academic building, or the Hagey Boulevard entrance, 2km east of the site.

Unfortunately I also agree with others that the site plan will probably be terrible. It should be a single podium, with an entrance absolutely as close as possible to the Sobey’s mall. Really there should be a continuous portico linking to the Sobey’s mall, but this burg doesn’t do situational awareness in planning (specifically, the situation of being in a location with weather). Better yet, build the towers above the mall and leave the vacant site for the future. Single-story buildings are a ridiculous way of providing shopping.

I agree with all this, and would be totally in support of this kind of advocacy from the neighbourhood.

Sadly, that is not what we are seeing.

This is a huge fundamental problem--when we have such a disconnect that people aren't advocating for better, they're advocating for less.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »