Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Ion Wins

No LRT by Canada Day, Ottawa city confirms

Has 514 been out since the collision?

CBC is reporting actual damage was $30,000. The article goes over the protocol for dealing with LRT/road vehicle collisions, and also contains a tweet from our very own danbrotherston showing a driver trapped by a signal arm through their own incompetence.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5159950
(06-04-2019, 12:22 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Has 514 been out since the collision?

CBC is reporting actual damage was $30,000. The article goes over the protocol for dealing with LRT/road vehicle collisions, and also contains a tweet from our very own danbrotherston showing a driver trapped by a signal arm through their own incompetence.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5159950

I've heard 514 on the radio today. 570 is saying the damage estimate is $30,000 and the actual cost may be released by the end of the week.
(05-29-2019, 10:19 PM)jason897 Wrote: Yep, as of today 501 is definitely still naked. 503, 504, 507 could possibly have them but haven't been spotted out yet.

Saw 503 with the GRT decals on it this morning.
514 is out and about again
(06-04-2019, 12:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-29-2019, 10:19 PM)jason897 Wrote: Yep, as of today 501 is definitely still naked. 503, 504, 507 could possibly have them but haven't been spotted out yet.

Saw 503 with the GRT decals on it this morning.

My list has 501, 503 and 504 without. Rest had the prod decals. If 503 has them, that leaves 501 and 504.
Do the decals signify something like the vehicle passing some sort of burn in testing, or is it just something of interest?

I don't think anybody knows. Just another example of the region's almost total lack of transparency and public engagement about ION.
(06-04-2019, 02:09 PM)jamincan Wrote: Do the decals signify something like the vehicle passing some sort of burn in testing, or is it just something of interest?

This would make sense, though, Wouldn't it? I think I read in a council agenda pg 47/8 that the trains are still technically Bombardier's until they've completed Preliminary Acceptance and Burn-in/Final Acceptance, at which point the region/GrandLinq take ownership. So they wouldn't want to brand it an ION train until it was actually ours... Maybe?(some speculation)
514 is out testing and looking all spiffy as if nothing happened to it. Just saw it heading North through Waterloo Park
I heard on the radio that they were running under "full schedule adherence" so I ducked out to R&T Park Station for a look-see.  I caught three simultaneous meetups about 8 minutes apart, the second of which I filmed:

(06-04-2019, 02:16 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I don't think anybody knows. Just another example of the region's almost total lack of transparency and public engagement about ION.

Very true! My guess is that updated decals = vehicle accepted = Region officially owns vehicle but, as you say, no information from those who know and could trivially inform the public. A wasted opportunity to help the population feel like the transit system is truly ours.
(06-04-2019, 12:20 PM)drum118 Wrote: Ion Wins

I’m happy that we’ll be first, but not happy that Ottawa will be delayed yet more.

New race: Ion Phase 2 vs. Ottawa Phase 2!

(06-04-2019, 05:08 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-04-2019, 12:20 PM)drum118 Wrote: Ion Wins

I’m happy that we’ll be first, but not happy that Ottawa will be delayed yet more.

New race: Ion Phase 2 vs. Ottawa Phase 2!

That one, Ottawa might win. They're farther along in their planning/procurement.
Does this mean simulated?, like as the final test for the vehicles? "demonstrated service operations," https://www.therecord.com/news-story/940...-roadways/
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »