Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yeah, it's those downtown sections where they could give trains more signal priority when needed.

The travel times in the cores definitely seem pretty unambitious- three minutes between Frederick and City Hall Station, five minutes between City Hall and Victoria- but it seems like the opportunity for a bit more speed on the spur line north of Uptown will be taken advantage of.
More vehicles are getting the new decals.

Here is 502 with the new decals from the ION instagram account:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BxfD6HFgpeL/
(05-15-2019, 09:38 AM)KevinL Wrote: Yeah, it's those downtown sections where they could give trains more signal priority when needed.

And that's something they can do once they gain both experience and ridership on the LRT. No capital investment required to speed it up!
It appears they are still ironing out some wrinkles with the signalling/barriers. I was stuck in quite a jam up on Courtland where the ION line crosses over to the hydro corridor. Crews were on site, but the barriers were coming down way way ahead of the train and not raising until well after it was gone.
The signal timing on Northfield really needs further improvement. Trains heading to Conestoga Mall are way off in the distance by the time the arms start coming down. It causes some rather significant delays in combination with all the single pedestrians crossing there to get to the bus stop on the other side.
The signal timing for the train for sure can be improved. There's not much to be done about the crosswalk, though: it doesn't stay 'walk' much longer than absolutely necessary as it is.

Are there rules/regulations for this sort of things? ie. Signals/barriers must be activated when a train is within xxx metres of a crossing?
I was at Water and Charles when an LRV went by and the No Right Turns sign was activated for 15 seconds after the train passed. That seems a little long to me, is this something they might improve on after launch or is 15 seconds some regulatory requirement?
Seems like the sort of light you could turn off as soon as the LRV's entered the intersection. A big blue and white train'd act as a more obvious turn restriction than a sign at that point, and it will be clear when movements are once again permitted...

(this is probably a bad idea)
(05-15-2019, 04:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Something else I noticed today as well. A very large bus parking illegally on the tracks will trigger the train cycle for the light. This causes all sorts of problems.

Wow, that is concerning.  Did the driver have any sort of explanation?

(05-15-2019, 08:30 PM)embe Wrote:
(05-15-2019, 04:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Something else I noticed today as well. A very large bus parking illegally on the tracks will trigger the train cycle for the light. This causes all sorts of problems.

Wow, that is concerning.  Did the driver have any sort of explanation?

She knows it is an LRT track, she does not care, and neither apparently does WRPS or her employer.  Disappointing.

This is not the first coach bus I've seen parked on the LRT tracks here.  It's ridiculous because of a four sided block, two sides are suitable for parking a coach bus for unloading.
We need some well placed stickers for these people: https://youtu.be/LPxDHN7aLo4?t=140
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »