Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(05-08-2019, 09:21 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 07:35 PM)jeffster Wrote: Wow....1 hour and 24 minutes before summer. Sorry, hate to be annal, but that ain't a spring launch date.

If you are being either annal or anal it is spring.  In fact I'm sure that's why the date was chosen because it is technically spring. I wonder how likely they will actually be ready vs launching just to meet the deadline.

Or they have added as much buffer as they could, while still keeping a "spring" launch date.

(05-08-2019, 09:30 AM)timc Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 08:56 AM)plam Wrote: I mean, it's kind of a weird stop and there aren't any buses that go down Seagram Dr. There should probably be a shuttle to WLU.

It seems to me that the 29 or 202 could easily go down Seagram. But what do I know?
Yes, what do we know? As a Beechwood resident it’s a huge slap in the face that there are still no plans for direct connections between the 29, 202, and ION. At the very least they could add a stop at the Laurel Trail, but here we are.

Now on a completely different and random note, was the documentary for ION ever released?
I wish they would reroute the 200 to go up Weber to Conestoga mall, but that would be faster then ION, so that can't happen.

Up Kingsway, turn onto Weber at Fresh co and stay on Weber skipping the terminal
Does anyone have the estimated timeframes to get to each station? I thought I saw it earlier but cant find it.
(05-08-2019, 11:51 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Does anyone have the estimated timeframes to get to each station? I thought I saw it earlier but cant find it.

There was a pdf with preliminary schedules, but that was before we had any trains.  ill try and dig it up or it might also be somewhere on here.
Finally! Very very excited!
Feels like a long time coming but we made it
(05-09-2019, 01:28 AM)ert86 Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 11:51 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Does anyone have the estimated timeframes to get to each station? I thought I saw it earlier but cant find it.

There was a pdf with preliminary schedules, but that was before we had any trains.  ill try and dig it up or it might also be  somewhere on here.

Appendix D of the project agreement has service plans that have notional start and end times for the route. Have you seen schedules that include timing for all stations?

(05-08-2019, 11:44 PM)ert86 Wrote: I wish they would reroute the 200 to go up Weber to Conestoga mall, but that would be faster then ION, so that can't happen.

Up Kingsway, turn onto Weber at Fresh co and stay on Weber skipping the terminal

The 200 is being scrapped, but I wish there would be a Weber route as you describe, local or express. Even with lots of stops, it could be very fast.
(05-09-2019, 07:21 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 01:28 AM)ert86 Wrote: There was a pdf with preliminary schedules, but that was before we had any trains.  ill try and dig it up or it might also be  somewhere on here.

Appendix D of the project agreement has service plans that have notional start and end times for the route. Have you seen schedules that include timing for all stations?

I thought I did at one time, but it may be this one I was remembering.
(05-09-2019, 07:32 AM)MidTowner Wrote:
(05-08-2019, 11:44 PM)ert86 Wrote: I wish they would reroute the 200 to go up Weber to Conestoga mall, but that would be faster then ION, so that can't happen.

The 200 is being scrapped, but I wish there would be a Weber route as you describe, local or express. Even with lots of stops, it could be very fast.

A Weber express bus would make 100% sense... EXCEPT Weber is seen by the Region as the vehicular parallel alternative to the ION route. That's why it was widened, repaved, etc in recent years. They will not add a north-south Weber route because they would see it as competing for ION, even though it would serve different needs. They're very stubborn about this, but I'm sure we can keep asking for it until it happens.
The new route 8 goes up Weber from Fairway to University with a slight detour through downtown.

Better than nothing.
Almost more exciting than the launch, is the end of the trashy LRT whining on social media.

Hahaha, I kid, that'll go on for all time.
(05-09-2019, 11:30 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Almost more exciting than the launch, is the end of the trashy LRT whining on social media.

It will shift to some other aspect such as why they are running red lights or the gate takes forever. And heaven forbid when a driver cuts one off and the train smacks into them. They will have a field day with that one when it happens.

(05-09-2019, 11:30 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: Almost more exciting than the launch, is the end of the trashy LRT whining on social media.

It's certainly finishing with a bang. Holy Christ the amount of whining on Facebook. I cannot believe how many people refuse to acknowledge June 21 is both the last day of spring and the first day of summer just because they want their dig at the region to stick.
(05-09-2019, 02:22 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote:

It's certainly finishing with a bang. Holy Christ the amount of whining on Facebook. I cannot believe how many people refuse to acknowledge June 21 is both the last day of spring and the first day of summer just because they want their dig at the region to stick.

Can someone point me to a thread with lots of whining? I find reading those very amusing and entertaining Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »