Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.6 Average
The Metz (Schneiders site redevelopment)
How about. "End of the Line". In reference to the animal being killed. And the jobs of the former employees. To soon?   To harsh?

(04-29-2019, 06:42 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Thinking caps on - a trendy name that evokes meat packing, weiner smoking, and the rendering of lard ....

$10,000 may not be enough!  ; )

Like >  "Land O'Lakes" perhaps a play on words:   "Land O'Lard"    Angel
(04-29-2019, 06:20 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Well this is interesting and cool. Very unexpected from this developer. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/930...-property/

Very nice. And an unveiling coming up on June 15.

Hmmm … Pepperette Place? Wiener Village? "Edible meat byproduct" just doesn't sound marketable enough! Wink
(04-29-2019, 09:26 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-29-2019, 06:20 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Well this is interesting and cool. Very unexpected from this developer. 

https://www.therecord.com/news-story/930...-property/

Very nice. And an unveiling coming up on June 15.

Hmmm … Pepperette Place? Wiener Village? "Edible meat byproduct" just doesn't sound marketable enough! Wink

"Redhot Village" would garner a bit of attention, I should think!
We have to incorporate "You can taste the difference quality makes"
Schneider mcSchneiderFace Smile /jk
I think the street should be called Featherstone Drive, named after Nancy Featherstone. She is the face of the "Dutch Girl" on the packaging of Schneider's. Or more importantly, watches over the 401 at Guelph...

(04-29-2019, 11:45 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Schneider mcSchneiderFace Smile /jk

Off topic, but I was surprised that "Swanny McSwannyface" wasn't a contender for the name of the new swan in Victoria Park!  I guess "Ophelia" is a bit more elegant.
(04-30-2019, 07:03 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I think the street should be called Featherstone Drive,  named after Nancy Featherstone.  She is the face of the "Dutch Girl" on the packaging of Schneider's.  Or more importantly, watches over the 401 at Guelph...

I've always wondered whether the "Dutch Girl" was Dutch because Schneiders felt that a German girl just wouldn't fly?  Serious question.  

In the (totally) unlikely event that the name weren't somehow linked to Schneiders, I would suggest "Borden Junction", with a new link across/under/over the rail tracks to link Borden Ave and Borden Parkway (70 years late is better than never).
There already is a Featherstone Crescent in Kitchener (my friend lives on it). So it may be confusing having two streets similarly named not in the same neighbourhood.
(04-30-2019, 08:31 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've always wondered whether the "Dutch Girl" was Dutch because Schneiders felt that a German girl just wouldn't fly?  Serious question.  

Post-WW1, possibly. The German logo was long gone by this time, though, and they were using a beaver/maple leaf logo before they switched to the Dutch Girl (and Dutch Boy, too, originally).

The "Dutch" refers to "Pennsylvania Dutch" (really Pennsylvania Deutsch), though, which was the Schneiders' heritage, and a well-known term in the area.
(04-30-2019, 09:06 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-30-2019, 08:31 AM)panamaniac Wrote: I've always wondered whether the "Dutch Girl" was Dutch because Schneiders felt that a German girl just wouldn't fly?  Serious question.  

Post-WW1, possibly. The German logo was long gone by this time, though, and they were using a beaver/maple leaf logo before they switched to the Dutch Girl (and Dutch Boy, too, originally).

The "Dutch" refers to "Pennsylvania Dutch" (really Pennsylvania Deutsch), though, which was the Schneiders' heritage, and a well-known term in the area.

I used to think that, but I'm no longer sure.  The costume is clearly Dutch, not Pennsylvania Dutch.
(04-30-2019, 08:54 AM)neonjoe Wrote: There already is a Featherstone Crescent in Kitchener (my friend lives on it). So it may be confusing having two streets similarly named not in the same neighbourhood.

I think under current rules this means there can’t be a new Featherstone anything anywhere in Kitchener. I understand in Ottawa they are actually eliminating street names that differ only in the second part — so Irving Place had to become Old Irving Place, because there is an Irving Avenue also. Although in that case both Irvings were original surveyed as a single street; then at some point a park took over several blocks and one half was renamed Place.

I have mixed feelings about the renaming. On the one hand, it’s pandering to ignorance; people who think it’s OK to just say “Irving” when it is not. On the other hand, I don’t really agree with people dying because of the sort of confusion the renaming is meant to avoid, even if the real fix is for people to understand the world they live in. And of course, understanding the world “they” live in includes me, who needs to understand that people don’t understand how street names work, so maybe the “real fix” is to just rename the streets.

[Image: 850x600_Image6_Our-logo_The-evolution-of...mark-1.jpg]2016: A look at our trademark over the yearsThe logo has Old World roots. It evokes Schneider’s Pennsylvania Deutsch heritage, and includes a Dutch girl in a bonnet showing wholesomeness.

(From Schneiders website)
I fear this ends poorly
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »