Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(04-20-2019, 01:40 PM)KevinT Wrote:
(04-18-2019, 01:07 AM)jeffster Wrote: 501 is starting to sound a lot like the Space Shuttle Enterprise. First one made and tested, but never actually used. Though I doubt that would be the case, being that we need 2 spares.

Actually, Enterprise was used extensively, just not in space.  Per Wikipedia:

Quote:Rolled out on September 17, 1976, it was built for NASA as part of the Space Shuttle program to perform atmospheric test flights after being launched from a modified Boeing 747. It was constructed without engines or a functional heat shield, and was therefore not capable of spaceflight.

501 is a fully functional vehicle, we just took it early to perform fit tests of the OMSF and then it went back for completion.  Why it hasn't been out since it returned is anybody's guess.

Yeah I meant that the Enterprise was never used in the sense of actual space travel...

Cadillac Fairview has installed a sidewalk parallel to the tracks connecting Wilson to the mall, along the ION station/ bus loop. Also noticed some folks walking down the tracks along the hydro corridor. That crossing needs to be built ASAP.
(04-24-2019, 09:21 PM)Lens Wrote: Cadillac Fairview has installed a sidewalk parallel to the tracks connecting Wilson to the mall, along the ION station/ bus loop. Also noticed some folks walking down the tracks along the hydro corridor. That crossing needs to be built ASAP.

Along the tracks?  I.e., using the trail along the tracks?  Was it rebuilt then?
(04-24-2019, 09:26 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(04-24-2019, 09:21 PM)Lens Wrote: Cadillac Fairview has installed a sidewalk parallel to the tracks connecting Wilson to the mall, along the ION station/ bus loop. Also noticed some folks walking down the tracks along the hydro corridor. That crossing needs to be built ASAP.

Along the tracks?  I.e., using the trail along the tracks?  Was it rebuilt then?

CF installed it in their parking lot. I think it has more to do with the proposed development stuff than anything.
Wow, this thread has become very quiet. Does anyone have any updates on this? Are we still looking at a spring start, or is that off the table?
I think the next update is tuesday
A spring (or early summer) start definitely seems to be what things are headed for. A poll on the Facebook group currently has June 20 and May 31 as the front-runners by quite a bit.

(04-28-2019, 04:50 PM)KevinL Wrote: A spring (or early summer) start definitely seems to be what things are headed for. A poll on the Facebook group currently has June 20 and May 31 as the front-runners by quite a bit.

I'd imagine that the prelim acceptance is in by now although we haven't heard anything for sure. I was still hearing some fault codes on the radio. I don't think we've actually seen more than 4 trains out yet?
For me, as I drive around I am seeing the trains in Kitchener even less. It leads me to believe that something is seriously wrong.
There may be information forthcoming at the Planning and Works Committee meeting on Tuesday. https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Cou...-Committee
(04-28-2019, 09:04 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: For me, as I drive around I am seeing the trains in Kitchener even less.  It leads me to believe that something is seriously wrong.

They have been concentrating testing on the northern segments, I think usually not going past Courtland at the most. They certainly don't need to for burn in, but they do for simulated service.
Canard hasn't been around unfortunately
(04-28-2019, 09:04 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: For me, as I drive around I am seeing the trains in Kitchener even less.  It leads me to believe that something is seriously wrong.

They haven't been south of the Mill crossover in weeks, however it looks like they're pouring foundations for something at Block Line (art installation? I don't recall all the artwork plans), so maybe it's just to make that construction go faster.  I'll admit however that it's got me spooked.

Edit to add: The signal heads for the Cameron crossover were still bagged when I drove by late last week, and that's not a good sign either. Last week's CTV piece from the ION show and tell at GRH said "Still, some of the vehicles are taking longer", repeating the tired refrain of "it's all Bombardier's fault". I'm getting sick and tired of the region using Bombardier as their catch-all scapegoat, the hardworking men and women in Kingston deserve better.

(04-29-2019, 10:47 AM)KevinT Wrote: Edit to add:  The signal heads for the Cameron crossover were still bagged when I drove by late last week, and that's not a good sign either.  Last week's CTV piece from the ION show and tell at GRH said "Still, some of the vehicles are taking longer", repeating the tired refrain of "it's all Bombardier's fault".  I'm getting sick and tired of the region using Bombardier as their catch-all scapegoat, the hardworking men and women in Kingston deserve better.

Yes, I think it’s safe to say that Bombardier’s part in the delay is all in the past. We’ve had all the vehicles for 4 months, and some of them for over a year. When was that pull-through test?

Have we heard anything more about preliminary or final acceptance? The first and last vehicles to achieve each should be trumpeted from the mountaintops, and the information should be available about all the vehicles to those who are interested. But no — cone of silence, instead.
I should say that I do pretty routinely see 3 vehicles a day when out and about in Waterloo. Like, today and last Friday.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »