Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
LRT trains to travel faster, be more frequent as tests continue

Quote:As the region gets ready to launch its Ion transit service, LRT trains will make more frequent appearances and travel faster on tracks.

Over the next few weeks, trains will be travelling at speeds of up to 50 km/h on the tracks, though rains can run at speeds of up to 70 km/h, the operator warned Tuesday.

Also this article popped up for me : https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.5088902
(04-16-2019, 12:48 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: LRT trains to travel faster, be more frequent as tests continue

Quote:As the region gets ready to launch its Ion transit service, LRT trains will make more frequent appearances and travel faster on tracks.

Over the next few weeks, trains will be travelling at speeds of up to 50 km/h on the tracks, though rains can run at speeds of up to 70 km/h, the operator warned Tuesday.

I did notice today that the LRT was passing slower moving traffic to its right. Perhaps 45 km/h. This was along King St.
I heard from some GrandLinq people I met along the route today that there is some work Bombardier is still doing on some trains and that the goal is a June 21st launch, but they definitely phrased it as a goal, not a sure thing.

Since the 21st is the last partial day of spring, first partial day of summer, it makes me wonder if that's been the current goal for a while but there are people further up in the org that have a better idea of an actual date.
Canada Day weekend would be acceptably close to the end of spring to not raise too many eyebrows. I'm just hoping it doesn't drag through the summer into September.
(04-16-2019, 03:11 PM)tvot Wrote: I heard from some GrandLinq people I met along the route today that there is some work Bombardier is still doing on some trains and that the goal is a June 21st launch, but they definitely phrased it as a goal, not a sure thing.

Since the 21st is the last partial day of spring, fist partial day of summer, it makes me wonder if that's been the current goal for a while but there are people further up in the org that have a better idea of an actual date.

June 21st is the hard cut-off deadline that the Region is setting. The opening will most likely will be well before that date. They are doing burn-in testing right now on 6 or more of the trains, and this week they will have up to 8 trains out at a time.
(04-16-2019, 04:23 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 03:11 PM)tvot Wrote: I heard from some GrandLinq people I met along the route today that there is some work Bombardier is still doing on some trains and that the goal is a June 21st launch, but they definitely phrased it as a goal, not a sure thing.

Since the 21st is the last partial day of spring, fist partial day of summer, it makes me wonder if that's been the current goal for a while but there are people further up in the org that have a better idea of an actual date.

June 21st is the hard cut-off deadline that the Region is setting. The opening will most likely will be well before that date. They are doing burn-in testing right now on 6 or more of the trains, and this week they will have up to 8 trains out at a time.

Are you 100% sure of this? And well before that date - when could it be then?

(04-16-2019, 04:32 PM)urbd Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 04:23 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: June 21st is the hard cut-off deadline that the Region is setting. The opening will most likely will be well before that date. They are doing burn-in testing right now on 6 or more of the trains, and this week they will have up to 8 trains out at a time.

Are you 100% sure of this? And well before that date - when could it be then?

Barring anything major and unavoidable, the Regional staff that I've talked to have all said they aren't even considering anything past June 21st. Once the signals work is completed between Mill Crossover and Fairway Station it will be full steam ahead for testing. By then all the vehicles might be finished with burn-in and they will jump right in to service simulation. My personal guess is before the end of May.
Have any trains achieved PAC yet?
(04-16-2019, 05:16 PM)timc Wrote: Have any trains achieved PAC yet?

Tom Galloway said 6 will have PAC by this week.
Great news all around, today. This really indicates things are moving to a full launch, soon.
Heard from a very reliable source that the hard launch date has already been set. No clue of what day though!
(04-16-2019, 05:00 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Barring anything major and unavoidable, the Regional staff that I've talked to have all said they aren't even considering anything past June 21st. Once the signals work is completed between Mill Crossover and Fairway Station it will be full steam ahead for testing. By then all the vehicles might be finished with burn-in and they will jump right in to service simulation. My personal guess is before the end of May.

501 hasn't made a post-refurb appearance yet, has it?

(04-16-2019, 08:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-16-2019, 05:00 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote: Barring anything major and unavoidable, the Regional staff that I've talked to have all said they aren't even considering anything past June 21st. Once the signals work is completed between Mill Crossover and Fairway Station it will be full steam ahead for testing. By then all the vehicles might be finished with burn-in and they will jump right in to service simulation. My personal guess is before the end of May.

501 hasn't made a post-refurb appearance yet, has it?

501 going to be used for spare parts and a vehicle for maintenance to sharpen their skills?, lol
(04-16-2019, 08:27 PM)tomh009 Wrote: 501 hasn't made a post-refurb appearance yet, has it?

To the best of my knowledge, no.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »