Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High-Speed Rail (HSR) - Toronto/Pearson/Kitchener/London
(04-12-2019, 10:26 AM)kps Wrote: HSR would be expensive to ride as well. Better to put resources into making GO competetive with driving the 401.

They do mention improving inter-community bus service, so maybe they'll buy a couple of more buses so that they can say they improved service.

(04-12-2019, 10:35 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 10:26 AM)kps Wrote: HSR would be expensive to ride as well. Better to put resources into making GO competetive with driving the 401.

I am ok with that if they can reduce the travel time.  2 hours isn't acceptable in today's day and age.

Yes, that's the main thing. The current right of way (including curves and level crossings) with off-the-shelf euro regional MUs, could do it in one hour, assuming the track is repaired to Class 5 and stations to short-dwell level boarding.
(04-12-2019, 01:01 PM)kps Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 10:35 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I am ok with that if they can reduce the travel time.  2 hours isn't acceptable in today's day and age.

Yes, that's the main thing. The current right of way (including curves and level crossings) with off-the-shelf euro regional MUs, could do it in one hour, assuming the track is repaired to Class 5 and stations to short-dwell level boarding.

Alas, I have very little confidence that the current government will actually upgrade the track and buy new running stock.

Of course, I would be very pleased to be proven wrong.
(04-12-2019, 09:53 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Anyone actually surprised by this?

Not I.

I've actually come to grips with the fact that I'll never see high speed rail in my lifetime
(04-15-2019, 06:04 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(04-12-2019, 09:53 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Anyone actually surprised by this?

Not I.

I've actually come to grips with the fact that I'll never see high speed rail in my lifetime

I as well!  Unless I win the lottery and make a trip across the Atlantic, lol
From CBC today

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/on...3Dsharebar
(12-30-2019, 01:11 PM)KW65 Wrote: From CBC today

There's always the chance the restart the project just prior to the next election in a bid to win votes.

Either way though, we aren't getting a high speed rain for many years to come.

Time to break this out again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10cXpd8haQQ
Thats awesome... but sadly true !
(12-30-2019, 02:19 PM)Bjays93 Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 01:11 PM)KW65 Wrote: From CBC today

There's always the chance the restart the project just prior to the next election in a bid to win votes.

Just give us decent-speed train, with fewer level crossings and speed limits, with service to Toronto in 60-75 minutes, and I'll be happy.

Even Toronto-Montreal would be doable in 4h (as opposed to the current 5h+) if the trains could average just 125 km/h (VIA's locomotives are capable of 160-180 km/h). And that would be beautiful, compared to driving in 5.5-6.5 hours.
(12-30-2019, 10:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 02:19 PM)Bjays93 Wrote: There's always the chance the restart the project just prior to the next election in a bid to win votes.

Just give us decent-speed train, with fewer level crossings and speed limits, with service to Toronto in 60-75 minutes, and I'll be happy.

Even Toronto-Montreal would be doable in 4h (as opposed to the current 5h+) if the trains could average just 125 km/h (VIA's locomotives are capable of 160-180 km/h). And that would be beautiful, compared to driving in 5.5-6.5 hours.

Is it level crossings which are slowing down Toronto to Montreal service? In my experience (which isn't the whole route), we're doing 150km/h most of the time, it's the stops which slow us down. Express service is under 5 hours for Via, which still makes a few stops, (provided it's on time).
(12-30-2019, 11:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 10:48 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Just give us decent-speed train, with fewer level crossings and speed limits, with service to Toronto in 60-75 minutes, and I'll be happy.

Is it level crossings which are slowing down Toronto to Montreal service? In my experience (which isn't the whole route), we're doing 150km/h most of the time, it's the stops which slow us down. Express service is under 5 hours for Via, which still makes a few stops, (provided it's on time).

You could be right on the Toronto-Montreal one, I have not taken that in a while. But a real express service should make very few stops (Kingston maybe?) and the trains can do 160 km/h plus, so I don't understand why the average speed for the express is just 100 km/h. Too many stops?
(12-30-2019, 11:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 11:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is it level crossings which are slowing down Toronto to Montreal service? In my experience (which isn't the whole route), we're doing 150km/h most of the time, it's the stops which slow us down. Express service is under 5 hours for Via, which still makes a few stops, (provided it's on time).

You could be right on the Toronto-Montreal one, I have not taken that in a while. But a real express service should make very few stops (Kingston maybe?) and the trains can do 160 km/h plus, so I don't understand why the average speed for the express is just 100 km/h. Too many stops?

They are making far more than one stop. Part of the problem there is the lack of frequency, when you're only running 7 trains a day, there isn't a lot of room for trains with few stops (most trains already don't make all stops).

I do think delays due to freight contribute to the slack in the timeline as well.

I'm definitely behind better service, I'd love HSR, but any improvements are good.  I really just don't know what the real delays on the Toronto-Montreal route are though, at one time that route was done in less time at 200 km/h...we've literally regressed.

(12-30-2019, 11:20 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-30-2019, 11:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Is it level crossings which are slowing down Toronto to Montreal service? In my experience (which isn't the whole route), we're doing 150km/h most of the time, it's the stops which slow us down. Express service is under 5 hours for Via, which still makes a few stops, (provided it's on time).

I would like to record the speed profile of the fastest Toronto-Montreal run (and others). It feels like the train is often at 150 km/h but any stops do increase the total time by quite a bit (0 km/h really slows one down). From Montreal to Toronto the quickest run is just under 5h at 4h50 (train 69 at 16:25) with stops in Dorval, Brockville, Kingston and Oshawa.
I believe Via's next step for better reliability and frequency is a corridor from Scarborough to Smiths Falls via Peterborough. This would take Oshawa and Kingston off the main route, and run most Montreal trains via Ottawa.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »