Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(03-22-2019, 01:04 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think there are more than that, and they seem to be staying in business. Let's see …

1. Settlement
  2. Smile Tiger
  3. Balzac
  4. Coffee Time
  5. Williams
  6. Matter of Taste
  7. Café Pyrus
  8. Transfers
  9. Adventurers' Guild
  10. Show & Tell
  11. Smile Tiger (inside J&P)
  12. Coffee Culture
  13. Darlise
  14. Queen Street Commons
  15. Café Europe
  16. Tim Hortons (inside the courthouse)
  17. Elevenses
  18. Café Joy
  19. Fresh Ground
  20. Yeti Café 
  21. Serrinia Café (inside the market)
  22. Nova Era (admittedly just past the market)
Starbucks will make it 23. Or maybe more, if I missed some.

Hacienda Coffee in KPL would surely count too.

If Nove Era makes the list how about the The Dispensary Cafe & Lounge

Fair enough, being just across the street doesn't really make them be outside of DTK.

1. Dispensary (inside UW Pharmacy)
  2. Settlement
  3. Smile Tiger
  4. Balzac
  5. Coffee Time
  6. Starbucks (coming soon)
  7. Williams
  8. Matter of Taste
  9. Café Pyrus
  10. Transfers
  11. Adventurers' Guild
  12. Show & Tell
  13. Smile Tiger (inside J&P)
  14. Coffee Culture
  15. Darlise
  16. Queen Street Commons
  17. Café Europe
  18. Hacienda Coffee (inside KPL)
  19. Tim Hortons (inside the courthouse)
  20. Elevenses
  21. Café Joy
  22. Fresh Ground
  23. Yeti Café 
  24. Serrinia Café (inside the market)
  25. Nova Era (admittedly just past the market)
(03-22-2019, 01:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: The building was used for a political campaign recently (I don't remember whose) and prior to that housed City Pawnbrokers/Tri-City Music for a couple of years. It's been possible at times to see portions of the bottom floor through the windows. The bits that are easily seen look like community centre kitchens - nondescript particle board cabinets but updated at some point. The interior is in generally good shape but it's going to need a lot of work to be a public space, and especially one with food service.

I think most recently it was the Charlie West sales centre. In that configuration it had some offices along the back towards the lane, and everything in front was the model suite and tower model. I think any old kitchen was totally removed in that process. So for Starbucks it's outfitting basically all the plumbing/electrical/etc from scratch.
(03-22-2019, 09:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It will be interesting to see what you get for $400,000 of interior renovations.

Hmm. Do they own the building, perhaps? From being in the upper floors of it before, they're pretty derelict and outdated office space — maybe they're updating that as well, to lease it out to other companies?
The Record article has conflicting information on ownership:

Quote:The building is owned by developer Tony DiBattista of CMG Entertainment, according to the downtown BIA. The city has ACI Amusements Inc. listed as the building owner.

I imagine the city's data would be the more accurate? I suppose someone could go to the land registry office and look it up if they really wanted to.
(03-22-2019, 08:05 PM)jamincan Wrote: The Record article has conflicting information on ownership:

Quote:The building is owned by developer Tony DiBattista of CMG Entertainment, according to the downtown BIA. The city has ACI Amusements Inc. listed as the building owner.

I imagine the city's data would be the more accurate? I suppose someone could go to the land registry office and look it up if they really wanted to.

The President of ACI is also named DiBattisa, so same person or same family.
(03-22-2019, 04:52 PM)taylortbb Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 01:18 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: The building was used for a political campaign recently (I don't remember whose) and prior to that housed City Pawnbrokers/Tri-City Music for a couple of years. 

I think most recently it was the Charlie West sales centre. 

I think it was Karen Redman's campaign centre after the Charlie West sales centre. The sales centre has been gone for quite some time now.

Plus a ton of pop up shops and exhibit space over the years too
They may be moving pretty quick on this one. I walked by just before noon and there was a crew setting up. Four or five folks in hardhats and visibility vests, a couple of tables with scattered coffee cups and piles of paper.
(03-25-2019, 12:51 PM)robdrimmie Wrote: They may be moving pretty quick on this one. I walked by just before noon and there was a crew setting up. Four or five folks in hardhats and visibility vests, a couple of tables with scattered coffee cups and piles of paper.

What kind of coffee cups ?
There's no reason to wait, might as well get going
The Tim Hortons at Frederick Street Mall is nearing completion.  And yes, there will be a drive through.  It looks like a tiny space and the entrance will be from Edna Street.  

(03-22-2019, 01:00 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Given that, and the fact that there is no Starbucks anywhere near DTK, I'm quite happy with this.

Given that there is not a single Starbucks north (Kitchener Compass) of King St still, I'm not happy with this.

Coke

Settlement at King/Vic has been transformed into a Round Table board game cafe. Apparently it will be branded as both though. I peeked inside today and wow, they destroyed the space. Covered it in faux-castle like walls, removed all the cool steampunk art from Settelement, and closed the mezzanine (I think). Very disappointed with how it looks, but if it will be busier than Settlement was then that's good for that corner.
That's really a shame. Damn
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »