Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Amalgamation
(03-19-2019, 01:19 PM)Spokes Wrote: When Cambridge was amalgamated previously, were they given a choice?

I seem to recall suggestions that there was a vote, but I've heard no authoritative statements on it.

But I think it's irrelevant, it was a different time, and a very different Premier.

I know it's a different premier, but I don't see what stake he has in what we are called.

FWIW, this is one Kitchener resident that would be voting Waterloo. I think of the names that might be considered, Waterloo is a more established and well-known global brand.
(03-19-2019, 01:45 PM)jamincan Wrote: I know it's a different premier, but I don't see what stake he has in what we are called.

FWIW, this is one Kitchener resident that would be voting Waterloo. I think of the names that might be considered, Waterloo is a more established and well-known global brand.

I don't think he has a stake in what we are called, I think that the Conservatives will push through the name Waterloo because there is an existing Regional Municipality with that name, the amalgamations are being promoted for financial efficiency, and running any kind of community engagement activity costs money, as would figuring out new symbology, branding, etc. If we continue to be the Regional Municipality of Waterloo then everything from existing stationary to signage won't need to change much and there's a very large amount of money that won't need to be spent and I think that will be justification enough.
(03-19-2019, 01:45 PM)jamincan Wrote: I know it's a different premier, but I don't see what stake he has in what we are called.

I was mainly implying that Ford is not the type of person to listen to people, or be interested in listening to people when he does something.  Look at the Toronto situation, zero public consultation, zero interest in the opposition, full willingness to abuse his powers to enforce his will.

I'm not sure he will take a personal interest, but if he did, I feel like the only thing that would matter is his opinion on the issue, nothing else. As for why he would take an interest, I suspect it would primarily stem from his apparent dislike for progressive and substantial municipal politics...
(03-19-2019, 01:19 PM)Spokes Wrote: When Cambridge was amalgamated previously, were they given a choice?

Good question. I have no idea though. I'm sure it's in the archives either way. I am guess a new name was chosen to reduce in-fighting that obviously was going to happen if Galt had been chosen.
(03-19-2019, 01:24 PM)jamincan Wrote: When Thunder Bay was amalgamated, they held a plebiscite on the name. Controversially, both "Lakehead" and "The Lakehead" were on the ballot, and so the vote split and "Thunder Bay" won.

If there's ever a case for a ranked ballot, here you go.
The name "Sand Hills" was mentioned in the DTK thread, and I'd be down with that as a regional name as well.

(03-25-2019, 11:12 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: The name "Sand Hills" was mentioned in the DTK thread, and I'd be down with that as a regional name as well.

No no no no no. It will 100% be Waterloo, no question about it. It's the most widely recognized nationally and internationally plus they will definitely want to build on the "Waterloo brand" that has traction in places like Silicon Valley and Asia. Plus it is already the Region of Waterloo.
(03-25-2019, 03:23 PM)urbd Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 11:12 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: The name "Sand Hills" was mentioned in the DTK thread, and I'd be down with that as a regional name as well.

No no no no no. It will 100% be Waterloo, no question about it. It's the most widely recognized nationally and internationally plus they will definitely want to build on the "Waterloo brand" that has traction in places like Silicon Valley and Asia. Plus it is already the Region of Waterloo.

If you're going to tell me "no" 5 times then I get to tell you to read what I've said several times over in previous posts up-thread. You're literally using things I've said here on more than one occasion. Read better.
(03-25-2019, 03:23 PM)urbd Wrote:

I dont know that I would be so sure to say 100 percent no.  I am from Kitchener, born and raised,  I am not in a rush to lose the name...  The tail doesn't always get to wag the dog....
(03-25-2019, 03:37 PM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(03-25-2019, 03:23 PM)urbd Wrote: No no no no no. It will 100% be Waterloo, no question about it. It's the most widely recognized nationally and internationally plus they will definitely want to build on the "Waterloo brand" that has traction in places like Silicon Valley and Asia. Plus it is already the Region of Waterloo.

If you're going to tell me "no" 5 times then I get to tell you to read what I've said several times over in previous posts up-thread. You're literally using things I've said here on more than one occasion. Read better.

Ok here's one more for you: no. And okay? It's an online forum - am I supposed to go back pages and pages so that I am allowed to contribute? People are allowed to jump in and express an opinion at any point. So yeah, it will be Waterloo. And I will read this free forum in any way I want thanks Smile
(03-26-2019, 09:48 AM)urbd Wrote: Ok here's one more for you: no. And okay? It's an online forum - am I supposed to go back pages and pages so that I am allowed to contribute? People are allowed to jump in and express an opinion at any point. So yeah, it will be Waterloo. And I will read this free forum in any way I want thanks Smile

I shared an opinion ("sand hills is a cool name") and you shot it down ("no no no no no"). Then you said that people are allowed to express an opinion at any point.

So now I'm confused. Is it only you that gets to share their opinion at any point, or are you in fact full of shit?
Isn't him saying "no no no no no" just him sharing his opinion?

(03-26-2019, 03:27 PM)jamincan Wrote: Isn't him saying "no no no no no" just him sharing his opinion?

Right, it's just an opinion. My *opinion* is that amalgamation isn't going to happen, not at least the way we'd think. Secondly, while I doubt that a majority of Kitchener residents are OK with now being Waterloo, I guarantee Cambridge will NOT want any part of "Waterloo". Perhaps enough so to ask for a separation (kind of like what Mississauga wants).

I'll keep it nice, but I think there is more advantage for it to be Kitchener than Waterloo (or Cambridge). But, just an opinion.

I will say though, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, we're not going to have a larger city by the name of Waterloo.
Waterloo at least has a name that's been around since its founding. Kitchener is named after right shithead and Cambridge would probably never be happy with any choice. Amalgamated towns all still keep their identities for a long time... Scarborough is still there and people all know where you're talking about when you mention it. Same goes for Ancaster and Dundas in Hamilton.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »