Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
General Retail News
(03-22-2019, 10:53 AM)KevinL Wrote: They say it's going to be their largest in the area, so I imagine there's going to be a bit of a 'flagship' feel to it.

Does anyone know if Starbucks will be on all floors or just the main floor?

(03-22-2019, 11:18 AM)jgsz Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 10:53 AM)KevinL Wrote: They say it's going to be their largest in the area, so I imagine there's going to be a bit of a 'flagship' feel to it.

Does anyone know if Starbucks will be on all floors or just the main floor?

I can't see what they would do with additional floors. The ground floor is already bigger than most Starbucks.
Full disclosure, I am not a coffee drinker. But this would make the 17 Coffee shops and Cafe's in the core (Victoria to the Market). Do people really drink that much coffee?
(03-22-2019, 11:53 AM)Brenden Wrote: Full disclosure, I am not a coffee drinker. But this would make the 17 Coffee shops and Cafe's in the core (Victoria to the Market). Do people really drink that much coffee?

Did you make a list?  I've tried to count them in my head, but I can never think of them all.  I assume the new developments underway or planned will see several more added.
(03-22-2019, 10:29 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 09:55 AM)panamaniac Wrote: It will be interesting to see what you get for $400,000 of interior renovations.

I was surprised by that number too.  I would think $400k gets you a lot more than the typical Starbucks furnishings.  I wonder if there is a lot of retrofitting that needs to be done.

Given the age of the building, who knows what is needed to make it useable. For all I know it could be $350k to make the building habitable, and $50k to turn it into a Starbucks.
(03-22-2019, 11:53 AM)Brenden Wrote: Full disclosure, I am not a coffee drinker. But this would make the 17 Coffee shops and Cafe's in the core (Victoria to the Market). Do people really drink that much coffee?

I think there are more than that, and they seem to be staying in business. Let's see …

1. Settlement
  2. Smile Tiger
  3. Balzac
  4. Coffee Time
  5. Williams
  6. Matter of Taste
  7. Café Pyrus
  8. Transfers
  9. Adventurers' Guild
  10. Show & Tell
  11. Smile Tiger (inside J&P)
  12. Coffee Culture
  13. Darlise
  14. Queen Street Commons
  15. Café Europe
  16. Tim Hortons (inside the courthouse)
  17. Elevenses
  18. Café Joy
  19. Fresh Ground
  20. Yeti Café 
  21. Serrinia Café (inside the market)
  22. Nova Era (admittedly just past the market)
Starbucks will make it 23. Or maybe more, if I missed some.
(03-22-2019, 09:14 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I was really hoping for  craft brewery with restaurant for this beautiful building.  Another Star Buck ???  No thanks....

It's been available for restaurants and craft breweries for a long time but no one has committed to it. Given that, and the fact that there is no Starbucks anywhere near DTK, I'm quite happy with this.

(03-22-2019, 12:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

I think there are more than that, and they seem to be staying in business. Let's see …

1. Settlement
  2. Smile Tiger
  3. Balzac
  4. Coffee Time
  5. Williams
  6. Matter of Taste
  7. Café Pyrus
  8. Transfers
  9. Adventurers' Guild
  10. Show & Tell
  12. Coffee Culture
  13. Darlise
  14. Queen Street Commons
  15. Café Europe
  17. Elevenses
  18. Café Joy
  19. Fresh Ground
  20. Yeti Café 

Hacienda Coffee in KPL would surely count too.
I knew I missed some!
The building was used for a political campaign recently (I don't remember whose) and prior to that housed City Pawnbrokers/Tri-City Music for a couple of years. It's been possible at times to see portions of the bottom floor through the windows. The bits that are easily seen look like community centre kitchens - nondescript particle board cabinets but updated at some point. The interior is in generally good shape but it's going to need a lot of work to be a public space, and especially one with food service.

While I think Starbucks' kitchen requirements are relatively low (I don't think they cook anything on site) it seems reasonable to me that the plumbing and electrical will need to be overhauled, they may need to make upgrades to better accommodate supply deliveries, lots of things.

400k is a lot of money, but I'm curious how much Starbucks spends on leaseholder improvements typically. It doesn't seem entirely out of line for overhauling the interior of a place.
There's a Coffee Time (almost certainly doomed) in the Manulife building as well.

Edit: Oh crap, reading comprehension. Sorry!
I can see them doing a stripped-to-the-walls renovation in the space, to get their own aesthetic in. Another thing about that place is that the windows are oddly tinted - if Starbucks isn't a fan of that, they may be replacing the glass too.
Are they part of the heritage designation though?

(03-22-2019, 01:04 PM)jamincan Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 12:58 PM)tomh009 Wrote: I think there are more than that, and they seem to be staying in business. Let's see …

1. Settlement
  2. Smile Tiger
  3. Balzac
  4. Coffee Time
  5. Williams
  6. Matter of Taste
  7. Café Pyrus
  8. Transfers
  9. Adventurers' Guild
  10. Show & Tell
  12. Coffee Culture
  13. Darlise
  14. Queen Street Commons
  15. Café Europe
  17. Elevenses
  18. Café Joy
  19. Fresh Ground
  20. Yeti Café 

Hacienda Coffee in KPL would surely count too.

Wow!  At least five of those are new to me.  I'm sure I'll be sticking to Matter of Taste and Smile Tiger as my "go to's".
(03-22-2019, 02:07 PM)Spokes Wrote: Are they part of the heritage designation though?

If they are tinted, probably not original!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »