Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 12 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Duke Tower Kitchener | 39 fl | completed
From the regional road closures, crane assembly?

To: Wed 10 Apr, 2019

At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener

Closed

Closed. No Access.

Other

(03-21-2019, 01:18 PM)Square Wrote: From the regional road closures, crane assembly?  

At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener

Closed

Closed. No Access.

Other

Sounds right. That'll make #5 for DTK.
(03-21-2019, 01:18 PM)Square Wrote: From the regional road closures, crane assembly?  

At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener

Closed

Closed. No Access.

Other

I was sceptical when I saw your post.  Yesterday it still looked like a lot of work still had to be done.  But later today I saw that they started to level the soil.  So in two weeks they may be ready to install the crane. 

(03-21-2019, 04:32 PM)jgsz Wrote:

At 60 Frederick St

Kitchener

Closed

Closed. No Access.

Other

I was sceptical when I saw your post.  Yesterday it still looked like a lot of work still had to be done.  But later today I saw that they started to level the soil.  So in two weeks they may be ready to install the crane. 
Note the red paint on the leveled portion of dirt. Can you say x marks the spot where the crane will go ?
(03-21-2019, 04:41 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Note the red paint on the leveled portion of dirt. Can you say x marks the spot where the crane will go ?

Interesting.  You might be right.
I guess things move a lot more quickly when there is no special remediation needed. Really that spot was ideal for a quick build condo, being that a former church was there.

It will be an impressive addition to DTK.
(03-21-2019, 07:24 PM)jeffster Wrote: I guess things move a lot more quickly when there is no special remediation needed. Really that spot was ideal for a quick build condo, being that a former church was there.

It will be an impressive addition to DTK.

Yeah, but it was a former United church. Surely the site requires remediation to remove all of the unhallowed ground that must remain.

Today they started to pour cement.  I wish IN8 Developments would take over some of the seemingly stalled projects like the Young Condos.  

I'm becoming more and more impressed with these guys.  They're moving very quickly.

Does anyone feel like Circa hasn't moved as fast though?  Or just more difficult getting the lower levels ready to integrate heritage components?
I am very impressed with their speed.  I am curious about ths pour though... no rebar, just a flat pad...For the crane ?
Can someone educate me about how you ensure the stability of a 39 storey tower with a 2(?) storey foundation built on sand? Mathew 7:24-27 and all that! Wink
They did similar at Circa up in Waterloo. This is just a thin layer to start and all of the rebar for the actual foundation will go on top and get poured later. I think it is mostly to make it easier to work on. No equipment getting stuck in the mud etc.
Ah, so a 'working floor' so to speak. Cool.

(03-22-2019, 09:59 AM)panamaniac Wrote: Can someone educate me about how you ensure the stability of a 39 storey tower with a 2(?) storey foundation built on sand?  Mathew 7:24-27 and all that!  Wink

I'd imagine the footings and retaining walls will be more than thick enough handle the 39 floor above. "As long as the underpinnings aren't undermined." (said in the Mike Holmes voice)
(03-22-2019, 10:05 AM)megabytephreak Wrote: They did similar at Circa up in Waterloo. This is just a thin layer to start and all of the rebar for the actual foundation will go on top and get poured later. I think it is mostly to make it easier to work on. No equipment getting stuck in the mud etc.

I speculate that it is at least in part to provide a more stable base for the thicker and heavier pour that will come later. In effect, using a layer of concrete, rather than soil, as the bottom of the form for the footings. I recall seeing something similar with some of the supports for the EIT at UW — they would roughly pour a thin layer of concrete, then build nice neat square formwork on top, fill it with a grid of rebar, then then pour it full of concrete. My idea is that pouring directly on dirt would have the danger of slight shifting during setting, leading to lower strength.

Would love to have the opportunity to ask a big-building foundation expert about this!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »