Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-19-2019, 03:58 PM)jeffster Wrote: I don't think it's good news. If it was good news they'd have the info on hand as planned, not late.

My guess is that it'll be delayed again until "summer" (which is fall).

But which year?

Kevin, please don’t state that as fact. That’s pure speculation.

Report now coming out next Thursday evening.
(02-19-2019, 05:49 PM)Canard Wrote: Kevin, please don’t state that as fact. That’s pure speculation.

I assume you mean Kevin's statement about the signaling system?

What's the most trains that have been active at any one time so far?

And how many trains have yet to make an appearance? I think 501 for sure but there may be others ...
4 is the most.

All I’m saying is while 4 is the upper limit of what they’ll test until ATP is activated.... perhaps you should wait until the vehicle update is out for deciding that that is the sole reason we’ve only ever seen four..........
(02-19-2019, 06:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 05:49 PM)Canard Wrote: Kevin, please don’t state that as fact. That’s pure speculation.

And how many trains have yet to make an appearance? I think 501 for sure but there may be others ...

To say that the signalling system isn't operational is pure speculation. The main reason they haven't been using it thus far is because not all the drivers are trained on how to use it properly. They can't make full use of the system without all the drivers trained on it.
My statement was pure speculation, yes. I was simply reiterating the information we do have, in the absence of anything official.
(02-19-2019, 04:28 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: September 2019 here we come.
  i think you might be right Angry

GRT posted that EasyGo cards will be available March 1st and paper passes and tickets will be sold till May, BUT also said tickets will stop being accepted when ION starts.  Can't sell tickets in May if ION service starts in June, July...

(02-19-2019, 06:42 PM)tomh009 Wrote:

501 has yet to make an appearance, and 503 has yet to make an appearance since FIE was installed (last time it was seen on the line was possibly last February). Unless it snuck out for a bit in the last few days when we weren't watching.

(02-19-2019, 06:43 PM)Canard Wrote: 4 is the most.

All I’m saying is while 4 is the upper limit of what they’ll test until ATP is activated.... perhaps you should wait until the vehicle update is out for deciding that that is the sole reason we’ve only ever seen four..........

Repost of what I had commented before on the FB group:

On Dec 19 we may have had 6 out - https://www.facebook.com/groups/81680629...535479051/ Based on spotting 4 for sure, then as I had other stuff I had to get to I wasn't able to watch closely but I believe I saw 2 more pass from a distance. In addition to 502, 513, 514 depicted there was also 512, and possibly 511 and 508. Don't recall more recent instances we've had at least 6 but it's possible I missed it

But I could be wrong here, if you know I am then tell me Tongue
It’s absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible that we have to speculate like this. There should be an Ion blog which tells us exactly how many vehicles are out and what they are doing (e.g., “today we are testing operation of interlocking in the presence of 4 vehicles”, or “today drivers at the 2nd stage of training are practicing normal service operations”). No excuses. Nobody has a legitimate interest in keeping secret any of this stuff. This is not a matter of national security.
(02-19-2019, 09:18 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: It’s absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible that we have to speculate like this. There should be an Ion blog which tells us exactly how many vehicles are out and what they are doing (e.g., “today we are testing operation of interlocking in the presence of 4 vehicles”, or “today drivers at the 2nd stage of training are practicing normal service operations”). No excuses. Nobody has a legitimate interest in keeping secret any of this stuff. This is not a matter of national security.

Sadly this is entirely par for the course for big projects of any kind...even private ones.  And I think there is a fear of embarrassment or having mistakes be exposed.

But if John Griffin's unbelievably openness with the work being done in Waterloo park has proven anything, it's that people would rather have open communication than see people trying to hide setbacks or being unclear etc.

Open communication is very beneficial in terms of public relations, even if it does have some risks.
Theme parks learned years ago that people are genuinely interested in following along, and they opened up to the community and embraced it, offering construction tours, photo ops, and lots of blog posts and photo updates.

But most parks have built dozens of rides so their teams get to learn from each one what to do, and what not to do. I guess since this is the first (and last) time the Region will undertake something of this magnitude, I guess they just kind of struck it out on their own and made it up as they went along.

"Thanks for reaching out"
(02-19-2019, 12:23 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 12:08 PM)Spokes Wrote: Is that expected to be actually reached, or just that's what they're allowed to go?

In some sections of the ballasted track they will be going that speed, others they will come close. The speed in the embedded sections is restricted to 50 km/h maximum.

(02-19-2019, 01:49 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:31 AM)Spokes Wrote: When the trains are in a totally isolated area (not in mixed traffic) what kind of speeds will they do?  I'm thinking between Mill and Block Line for example

70 km/h on the Fairway Corridor, Mill Spur, and Waterloo Spur!

Thank you both!!
(02-19-2019, 09:33 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 09:18 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: It’s absolutely ridiculous and irresponsible that we have to speculate like this. There should be an Ion blog which tells us exactly how many vehicles are out and what they are doing (e.g., “today we are testing operation of interlocking in the presence of 4 vehicles”, or “today drivers at the 2nd stage of training are practicing normal service operations”). No excuses. Nobody has a legitimate interest in keeping secret any of this stuff. This is not a matter of national security.

Sadly this is entirely par for the course for big projects of any kind...even private ones.  And I think there is a fear of embarrassment or having mistakes be exposed.

Actually, Grandlinq was far more open about the construction progress. It's during this phase that they have clammed up.

(02-19-2019, 10:07 PM)Canard Wrote: Theme parks learned years ago that people are genuinely interested in following along, and they opened up to the community and embraced it, offering construction tours, photo ops, and lots of blog posts and photo updates.

But most parks have built dozens of rides so their teams get to learn from each one what to do, and what not to do.  I guess since this is the first (and last) time the Region will undertake something of this magnitude, I guess they just kind of struck it out on their own and made it up as they went along.

"Thanks for reaching out"

Do you think this will impact phase 2?
Sorry... I didn't mean anything by that.

Agreed with Tom's statement - GrandLinq did a fantastic job with communication. The Region, on the other hand, has not. It's not been terrible, but like... 6/10 kinda thing. The draws for socks are cute (even though my feet are still bare!!).
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »