Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(02-09-2019, 05:31 PM)Canard Wrote:
(02-09-2019, 05:29 PM)KevinL Wrote: Could we not retrofit some of the corridor segments to have grass? Or does the ballast have to stay accessible?

Who's going to pay for it Kevin?

How will it be maintained in the winter?

I'd presume a future municipal government that feels the aesthetics are worth the expense. There's always that possibility.

Is winter maintenance that much more of a challenge? The dormant grass would have snow on it, I don't think that should affect operations.

Ahh I feel like I've missed your photo updates lately Canard. Thanks!
You're welcome! I try to get out when I can and bang off a few dozen frames. With a maximum of just 4 LRV's out at a time, spotting a train is challenging, and still very much a purple unicorn for me. I don't live or work along the line, so it's a dedicated trip for me to try and go watch what's going on.
I work at King & Water and even then seeing it is somewhat rare although more common than 6 months ago. I still enjoy seeing No Right Turns sign is lit up followed by a train going by shortly after.
(02-10-2019, 10:24 AM)Canard Wrote: You're welcome!  I try to get out when I can and bang off a few dozen frames.  With a maximum of just 4 LRV's out at a time, spotting a train is challenging, and still very much a purple unicorn for me.  I don't live or work along the line, so it's a dedicated trip for me to try and go watch what's going on.

Well it's definitely appreciated.  I'm in the same situation for live/work so it's more about getting lucky for me.
It's a difficult time of day for this sort of thing, but if anyone really wants to spot a train find somewhere along Charles between Victoria and Ottawa between 8:20 and 8:40 on weekdays. A window seat at Cafe Pyrus is probably perfect. I see several every day on my way into work (the 11 comes up Charles), and if I sit near a window on the bridge over Charles for more than a couple of minutes (which I do almost every day when I eat lunch) it seems like I see one. I'm never prepared with a camera or anything so I rarely take pictures (I'm a bad community member!), and the ones I do are through bus windows or from awkward angles so they're never any good. It never gets boring though. I visibly turn my head as the bus and train pass each other, every day.

I see significantly fewer of them on the way home, though a couple every week. It's probably because that'saround the time we've established they all head back into the shed in North Waterloo so they're probably on the Duke street tracks if they're heading back in.
On my drive home each day I now take Charles instead of the 85. I exit 8 in the left lane and turn down by King Fish, or earlier (Rockway) and drive up to Victoria and then go Left on Victoria. I almost always end up seeing one that way. Unless I happen to come home when they’re on their evening “lunch” when they bring all the vehicles back to the yard.

I think I beat ION today. Fri/Mon I cut through the RT Park platform at about 6:05 am to get the 200 at 6:20 and see ION pass at about 6:07, I got off the 200 at about 6:53 and while walking home see it cross Wilson at about 6:56.

I'm assuming it stopped somewhere Uptown/Charles terminal because it had such a head start, unfortunately i was glued to my phone and didn't look if we crossed paths so maybe it was a different one.
(02-11-2019, 11:56 PM)ert86 Wrote: I think I beat ION today.  Fri/Mon I cut through the RT Park platform at about 6:05 am to get the 200 at 6:20 and see ION pass at about 6:07, I got off the 200 at about 6:53 and while walking home see it cross Wilson at about 6:56.

I'm assuming it stopped somewhere Uptown/Charles terminal because it had such a head start, unfortunately i was glued to my phone and didn't look if we crossed paths so maybe it was a different one.

The first train of the day is the "Sweep Train" they travel a little slower during their full circuit as they check the line for anything that might affect their ability to travel.
Will that be the same once fully operational?
(02-12-2019, 01:40 PM)Spokes Wrote: Will that be the same once fully operational?

I would say yes. But also be mindful that the deadhead runs to Fairway and Conestoga for service start will count as sweep runs so the impact of sweep runs would be very minimal. They are designed, essentially, to check to any obstacles or damage to the infrastructure that may have occurred when the system was out of service. They wouldn't be required if there were Ice/Snow trains operating overnight as well.
How often will they keep trains overnight at Fairway? In conditions like today, I can see it being a help to making sure the northbound tracks are clear.
(02-12-2019, 02:37 PM)KevinL Wrote: How often will they keep trains overnight at Fairway? In conditions like today, I can see it being a help to making sure the northbound tracks are clear.

They won't keep trains out of the OMSF yard overnight. They will have operators to operate them along the entire alignment overnight during snow events to keep the tracks clear.

Check out those sparks

So does anyone know, is the ice actually causing contact to be lost with the centenary causing a loss of traction power and that's why it keeps stopping?

Why aren't the lights flickering in that case?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »