Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Does anybody know how FIE installation is going? The last I was aware, all 14 LRVs were on site, with FIE installed in about 7 of them and presumably work continuing on completing the installation in the remaining vehicles.

(01-18-2019, 01:35 PM)Canard Wrote: That actually sounds entirely plausible!

To be honest, I’m amazed we’ve had nearly a year of (very limited) operations under our belt without a single LRV-Pedestrian or LRV-Automobile conflict yet. Houston had 70+ Accidents the first year.

I'm not, between limited operations and *extremely* cautious operators (coming to a near complete stop at some corners, when facing a green), they're clearly trying to minimize risk.  Also see the plausible suggestion they're avoiding rush hour.

Which bugs me a little bit, when this is operating, it will operate during rush hour.  There are serious problems that need to be rectified before it can operate smoothly (the turn off King in uptown is blocked by cars about 70% of the time I go past).  We've been testing long enough, if we're not comfortable operating in rush hour yet, it just makes me more anxious about timelines.
(01-18-2019, 02:01 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Does anybody know how FIE installation is going? The last I was aware, all 14 LRVs were on site, with FIE installed in about 7 of them and presumably work continuing on completing the installation in the remaining vehicles.

The last report on CTV Kitchener news on around the first week of January stated that all 14 vehicles had the FIE installed! by the end of 2018 (as promised) Smile
(01-18-2019, 01:35 PM)Canard Wrote: That actually sounds entirely plausible!

To be honest, I’m amazed we’ve had nearly a year of (very limited) operations under our belt without a single LRV-Pedestrian or LRV-Automobile conflict yet. Houston had 70+ Accidents the first year.

70?!?!  Wow!

I'm glad things have gone smoothly.  No ammo for the anti-LRT folk out there
Regarding rush hour, I see a train almost every day at Charles and Stirling at around 8:20, and another pulling into Victoria Park station around 8:30. It's not the worse part of rush, but Charles between Water and Gaukel starts building up with Manulife employees pulling into the garages. Relatedly, I'm pretty impressed by the regularity of it. I wonder if they're running a schedule right now? My guess is they must have to to get the 600 hour burn-in done appropriately, although the trains are almost always empty but for 3-5 GRT staff clustered in the cab.
A couple weeks ago CTV reported none of the LRVs had received preliminary acceptance certification yet, so they couldn't have been doing any burn-in as of then. Plus I'm sure the radio listeners here would be the first to report on any discussion of burn-in.

All I ever heard is training of operators, in the evenings and on weekends, but apparently mid-day there's talk of FIE integration testing as of this week.
Some kind of protest is happening between Grand River Hospital Central Station, so it is causing some problems today for Testing + Training. The police have parked on the tracks.
Related to the news yesterday of layoffs coming at GRH, perhaps.
Sounds like it was the KW women's March.
(01-19-2019, 11:26 AM)Canard Wrote: Some kind of protest is happening between Grand River Hospital Central Station, so it is causing some problems today for Testing + Training.  The police have parked on the tracks.

doesn't seem like that's stopping them, sounds like 507 and 511 are out the whole length of the line today
This thread just shrank from 911 to 906 pages. Anybody know what happened?

It’s probably the record holder either way, just curious…

(01-19-2019, 01:16 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: This thread just shrank from 911 to 906 pages. Anybody know what happened?

It’s probably the record holder either way, just curious…

I'm showing 904

edit: This post made it 905
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »