Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
One Victoria | 63 m | 19 fl | Complete
(03-27-2015, 02:21 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Do McDonald's, Timmy's, or any other chain even have retail locations 600m apart, aside from in very different forms (e.g. a Timmy's for drive through on main road close to a Timmy's inside a mall or arena)?

There are two Tim Horton's are pretty close: https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/43.395929...m2!4m1!3e2

There is also another one in the mall too as I recall.

There are 4 Tim Horton's within 1km of my home and 7 within 2km. That's pretty saturated if you ask me.
(04-07-2015, 09:25 PM)BrianT Wrote: First new window is in.

Five more floors to go.

This building is looking better and better. What takes me by surprise is how well it is fitting into the current landscape as though it has it has always been there.  I am very happy.  Waterloo planners may want to take note as apposed to that Styrofoam concrete filled canyon they created there.
(04-07-2015, 09:42 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Waterloo planners may want to take note as apposed to that Styrofoam concrete filled canyon they created there.

Sorry, but the ugliness of those buildings has nothing to do with ICF. As the old saying goes "a bad workman always blames his tools". Here's an award winning building for you. Can you tell if it was built using ICF?

[Image: img331%20copy.jpg]
(04-07-2015, 09:55 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 09:42 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: Waterloo planners may want to take note as apposed to that Styrofoam concrete filled canyon they created there.

Sorry, but the ugliness of those buildings has nothing to do with ICF. As the old saying goes "a bad workman always blames his tools". Here's an award winning building for you. Can you tell if it was built using ICF?

Exactly.  Good design (and bad design) can be done with just about any construction technique.
(04-07-2015, 09:55 PM)BuildingScout Wrote:

[Image: img331%20copy.jpg]

My point seems to have been missed if you think I was attempting to assassinate the use of ICF.  It was simply to state the obvious. It is just plain ugly what they have done in Waterloo. Have a look at Mississauga's City Centre or an example of intensification.  oh and if you want to use sayings, "you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear"
(04-08-2015, 10:26 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: My point seems to have been missed if you think I was attempting to assassinate the use of ICF.  It was simply to state the obvious. It is just plain ugly what they have done in Waterloo. Have a look at Mississauga's City Centre or an example of intensification.  oh and if you want to use sayings, "you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

You choose to detract from your main point by adding the unnecessary ICF comment. You might as well said "ugly sky crane constructed buildings" because it is equally unrelated to how ugly the buildings look like.

There's a tendency to blame ugliness in materials. The horrible Brutalism school is often blamed on concrete, as if an overbearing monstrosity with no windows would be any better if only it was clad with brick instead. Or ugly facade patterns blamed on stucco. 1 Columbia is an example of an ugly color choice that would have been blamed on stucco had it been done with that material. Or ugly office towers blamed on glass walls. For example, the Christ Cathedral (formerly Crystal Cathedral) is a gorgeous piece of architecture fully covered in glass, but according to some this has to be ugly.

(04-08-2015, 10:26 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:
(04-07-2015, 09:55 PM)BuildingScout Wrote: Sorry, but the ugliness of those buildings has nothing to do with ICF. As the old saying goes "a bad workman always blames his tools". Here's an award winning building for you. Can you tell if it was built using ICF?

My point seems to have been missed if you think I was attempting to assassinate the use of ICF.  It was simply to state the obvious. It is just plain ugly what they have done in Waterloo. Have a look at Mississauga's City Centre or an example of intensification.  oh and if you want to use sayings, "you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

Now I'm even more confused as to what your point was. Huh
(04-08-2015, 01:29 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(04-08-2015, 10:26 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: My point seems to have been missed if you think I was attempting to assassinate the use of ICF.  It was simply to state the obvious. It is just plain ugly what they have done in Waterloo. Have a look at Mississauga's City Centre or an example of intensification.  oh and if you want to use sayings, "you cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear"

Now I'm even more confused as to what your point was. Huh
I will make it simple. One Victoria good. Northdale and King Street Waterloo bad
(04-09-2015, 02:07 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: I will make it simple. One Victoria good. Northdale and King Street Waterloo bad

Now this I (and most others here) will agree with! Big Grin
Whomever owns the land the Uhaul business is on must be licking their chops.
(04-25-2015, 07:42 PM)Smore Wrote: or the lot from whence this pic was taken?  (Who does own that btw?)

I believe UW owns a bunch of that property

(04-25-2015, 08:34 PM)Lens Wrote: I believe UW owns a bunch of that property

It would be a great site for a mixed-use building (office perhaps?) with a large parking structure to serve the surrounding uses and enable them to replace their surface lots.
April 25, 2015

[Image: n4Ml6g8.png]

[Image: 6O9QKQk.png]

[Image: hJCFA0G.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »