Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Townline Road
In the legal world and in alignment with the MTO, Lane one is always the most inward lane to the centre.  the rest are numbered out from that...

(12-26-2018, 03:43 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: In the legal world and in alignment with the MTO, Lane one is always the most inward lane to the centre.  the rest are numbered out from that...

OK, thanks. I wasn’t sure. So in the interchange we’ve been discussing, I think the King St. lane is Lane 1, the clover leaf onto 7W/8W is Lane 2, and the ramp onto 7E is Lanes 3 and 4.
(12-26-2018, 04:43 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(12-26-2018, 03:43 PM)Rainrider22 Wrote: In the legal world and in alignment with the MTO, Lane one is always the most inward lane to the centre.  the rest are numbered out from that...

OK, thanks. I wasn’t sure. So in the interchange we’ve been discussing, I think the King St. lane is Lane 1, the clover leaf onto 7W/8W is Lane 2, and the ramp onto 7E is Lanes 3 and 4.
you are correct my friend ..
(12-24-2018, 07:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: I am hopeful that you're right, Iain, but we see the same lane configuration on Hwy 8N where the ramps from Sportsworld and King continue as new lanes. Nevertheless, most traffic immediately merges left rather than continuing in their lane, significantly slowing the second lane from the left, and leaving the two rightmost lanes almost empty. I'm not sure KW drivers can figure out something as radical as a ramp continuing on as a new lane.

Not to rehash a 2 week old conversation, but I just saw this and this infuriates me.  Ugh.
Glad to know I’m not alone!
(01-08-2019, 11:39 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 07:51 PM)jamincan Wrote: I am hopeful that you're right, Iain, but we see the same lane configuration on Hwy 8N where the ramps from Sportsworld and King continue as new lanes. Nevertheless, most traffic immediately merges left rather than continuing in their lane, significantly slowing the second lane from the left, and leaving the two rightmost lanes almost empty. I'm not sure KW drivers can figure out something as radical as a ramp continuing on as a new lane.

Not to rehash a 2 week old conversation, but I just saw this and this infuriates me.  Ugh.

You'd think most would have figured this out by now. I do merge to the left, but only because I am travelling fast (I have lead foot syndrome) plus I travel west on the expressway. But for those travelling east on the expressway (or north, depending how you look at it), they need to give their heads a shake.
I just think this is in part a problem of drivers in South Western Ontario. Everyone as often as possible moves to the middle/left. Keeping right except to pass isn't a thing.

It's not uncommon for the left and middle lanes of a 3 lane road to be full while the right is empty.

Infuriating or not, as pointed out, this happens for two reasons, first, the design differs from the standard on ramp design, and second, the markings are incorrect and in fact indicate the lane will end. I'll blame drivers for a lot of things, even for things that engineers share some blame, but not this one, this one is 100% on the engineers in my mind.
What is incorrect about the markings?
They show the extra wide and dense stripes that normally indicate a merge zone for a lane that is ending.

I totally understand someone not familiar with the interchange to be confused and expect the lane to end; however, most of the drivers there are likely commuters and don't really have an excuse.
(01-09-2019, 11:04 AM)jamincan Wrote: They show the extra wide and dense stripes that normally indicate a merge zone for a lane that is ending.

I totally understand someone not familiar with the interchange to be confused and expect the lane to end; however, most of the drivers there are likely commuters and don't really have an excuse.

I am not a regular commuter, but I use this interchange several times a month, and I'll still have my left blinker on as soon as I see the wide dashed lines and be focused on merging when I realize I don't have too.
Why would you do that if you have driven here before?
(01-09-2019, 02:52 PM)creative Wrote: Why would you do that if you have driven here before?

Because I also drive other places, i.e., this interchange doesn't match the pattern that all other interchanges use.

Same reason I would walk into a door that has a push bar on it, that is actually a pull door.

So they may have reconstructed the interchange since you last drove there!
WTF man, not everyone remembers every single detail of every single place they’ve ever been in their entire life since they were born.

You and I might drive it daily so we remember but if Dan drives once a year it makes sense he’d forget. Chill....
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »