Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-02-2019, 05:21 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 04:54 PM)tomh009 Wrote: She's not going to make any date commitments in a media interview, even if CBC asked her to do so, so I personally wouldn't really read anything more into this statement.

I know Karen fairly well, and if she's saying she won't guarantee it will be running by summer, it probably won't be running anytime close to summer.

I guess if spring/summer (and summer is fall in the region) is not a go, this means a fall launch (which is winter) won't happen because no one wants a wintery start, so that means spring (which is summer) 2020 start at the earliest.

"Whose on first?"

(01-03-2019, 01:09 PM)Canard Wrote: I can’t believe how much people are over-reading Karen’s comment.

What would you have done if she had said “I can’t guarantee there will not be a dinosaur attack tomorrow”? Would you run away screaming that there might be a dinosaur attack?

If dinosaurs existed then it would be a concern, especially if the UofW had a school of bioengineering to create dinosaurs.

However, we know dinosaurs don't exist, and if Karen had said "I can't guarantee there will not be a dinosaur attack tomorrow" then I'd be wondering what the hell she's been smoking.

However, I suppose one thing that the dinosaurs and the Ion have in common is, neither exist in their current form.
CTV reporting no trains are "finished" (certified?).

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1579139
(01-04-2019, 09:04 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: CTV reporting no trains are "finished" (certified?).

https://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=1579139

Shocking....

Hopefully this isn't a 12 month process...
I had a chance to watch the video properly. Bombardier says all 14 LRVs now have the specialized equipment installed, but none of them have preliminary acceptance certification yet. In a previous video Galloway said that could come down to stuff like scratches and dents or missing paperwork.
(01-03-2019, 09:02 PM)jeffster Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 01:09 PM)Canard Wrote: I can’t believe how much people are over-reading Karen’s comment.

What would you have done if she had said “I can’t guarantee there will not be a dinosaur attack tomorrow”? Would you run away screaming that there might be a dinosaur attack?

If dinosaurs existed then it would be a concern, especially if the UofW had a school of bioengineering to create dinosaurs.

However, we know dinosaurs don't exist, and if Karen had said "I can't guarantee there will not be a dinosaur attack tomorrow" then I'd be wondering what the hell she's been smoking.

However, I suppose one thing that the dinosaurs and the Ion have in common is, neither exist in their current form.

"This just in from CTV: ION delayed another year due to dinosaur attack!"
(01-04-2019, 10:25 PM)jason897 Wrote:
(01-03-2019, 09:02 PM)jeffster Wrote: If dinosaurs existed then it would be a concern, especially if the UofW had a school of bioengineering to create dinosaurs.

"This just in from CTV: ION delayed another year due to dinosaur attack!"

And it’s entirely Bombardier’s fault.

Don't just accept the narrative that the Region is telling you; truthfully the dinosaur attack is ultimately the responsibility of Metrolinx for deciding to go with a custom dinosaur enclosure.
Yesterday I was driving down Borden towards Courtland. I noticed the no right turn light activated at Courtland. I looked in my rear view mirror and sure enough a train was approaching. I proceed to turn left and noticed that the car behind me turned right. I was unable to see how close the approaching train was behind the car. I turned onto Ottawa and proceeded towards Mill. The train was approaching and activated the gates. The gates were fully up within 10 seconds of the train clearing the road. The lights stopped flashing before the gate was all the way up. It took probably another 10 seconds before the cars ahead of me decided to proceed. Probably still watching the train.
(01-05-2019, 11:39 AM)creative Wrote: Yesterday I was driving down Borden towards Courtland. I noticed the no right turn light activated at Courtland. I looked in my rear view mirror and sure enough a train was approaching. I proceed to turn left and noticed that the car behind me turned right. I was unable to see how close the approaching train was behind the car. I turned onto Ottawa and proceeded towards Mill. The train was approaching and activated the gates. The gates were fully up within 10 seconds of the train clearing the road. The lights stopped flashing before the gate was all the way up. It took probably another 10 seconds before the cars ahead of me decided to proceed. Probably still watching the train.

Of the various physical interactions between motor vehicle and ion we'll see in the coming year, I imagine that turning right into the path of an oncoming train will be the most common.
(01-05-2019, 11:39 AM)creative Wrote: It took probably another 10 seconds before the cars ahead of me decided to proceed. Probably still watching the train.

...or the Traffic Signal was red.

Four trains are out today!
(01-05-2019, 01:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(01-05-2019, 11:39 AM)creative Wrote: Yesterday I was driving down Borden towards Courtland. I noticed the no right turn light activated at Courtland. I looked in my rear view mirror and sure enough a train was approaching. I proceed to turn left and noticed that the car behind me turned right. I was unable to see how close the approaching train was behind the car. I turned onto Ottawa and proceeded towards Mill. The train was approaching and activated the gates. The gates were fully up within 10 seconds of the train clearing the road. The lights stopped flashing before the gate was all the way up. It took probably another 10 seconds before the cars ahead of me decided to proceed. Probably still watching the train.

Of the various physical interactions between motor vehicle and ion we'll see in the coming year, I imagine that turning right into the path of an oncoming train will be the most common.

I think you're absolutely correct, I imagine this is why the speed is so low in areas where the LRT travels along the curb.  I sure wish they could have found better ways to deal with that interaction.
(01-05-2019, 02:16 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(01-05-2019, 01:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Of the various physical interactions between motor vehicle and ion we'll see in the coming year, I imagine that turning right into the path of an oncoming train will be the most common.

I think you're absolutely correct, I imagine this is why the speed is so low in areas where the LRT travels along the curb.  I sure wish they could have found better ways to deal with that interaction.

I wait to see if my expectation is correct that, by 2020, the ion trains will look like we picked them up at a scratch and dent sale...  Wink

I've seen three (well 2 visibly and the reflection of a third) heading north on Charles in the past 15 minutes.
There are 4 vehicles out, and yeah, sometimes they get bunched up really close together! At one point this morning, there were 3 vehicles all South of Hayward, where I was waiting, watching. Crazy!

It's going to be amazing to see 12 out at a time.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »