Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
GO Transit
Also we really need weekend GO train service.

(12-17-2018, 03:40 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: Did anyone else watch the live stream? It sounds very much like the CN freight bypass has been cancelled. They claim they will be able to offer fast two-way all-day GO service by negotiating improved track sharing with CN "without the need for a costly freight bypass".

In other words, "We shot the finances for this in the foot by killing the carbon tax, so we're desperately backpedaling to find a cheap way to do something."
The freight bypass is officially cancelled.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener...-1.4950670
The PCs are vision-less chicken<censored>s.  They may net a few more trains, but there's no way they can do all day two-way including evenings and weekends with any reasonable frequency.

Ontario is not 'open for business' when the workforce spends their days stuck in traffic on the 401 with no reasonable alternatives.
All they need to do is extend the Bloor Danforth subway to Kitchener via Galt, then you have an adequate 2WAD replacement and phase 2 ION all in one.

For the people.

Folks.
The only GO train I need is one after 5 pm going from KW to Toronto! Is that too much to ask?
(12-18-2018, 04:20 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The freight bypass is officially cancelled.

Lovely. But no surprise.

I don't see how they could do all-day two-way GO on the existing track. Unless they have convinced CN to run freight only at night. And I don't think that's very likely.

(12-18-2018, 07:16 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 04:20 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The freight bypass is officially cancelled.

Lovely. But no surprise.

I don't see how they could do all-day two-way GO on the existing track. Unless they have convinced CN to run freight only at night. And I don't think that's very likely.

Berry Vrbanovic tweeted that he was open to alternate creative solutions. I don't think that's going to work here. Sometimes you just have to think inside the box and buy the damn land and build the rails on it. This cancellation is actually a disaster.
Berry still has to work with this government, so he puts as best a face as he can on it. He still knows what he's dealing with, I'm sure.
The hits just keep on coming
(12-18-2018, 08:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: Berry still has to work with this government, so he puts as best a face as he can on it. He still knows what he's dealing with, I'm sure.

Maybe so, and he's between a rock and a hard place, but it's gonna cost him here.

Frankly, I don't think it matters, I think this is an economic death blow from the government, fixing transit is an existential issue for our region.  We will choke to death economically in traffic on the 401...this ensures we won't have an alternative.  Businesses will not locate here, if they cannot do business here.  Sitting in traffic looking at a "Ontario open for business sign" is not a replacement for actual business.

Whether it's intentional, or a happy side effect of mindless cuts, that depends on how cynical you're feeling.
(12-18-2018, 10:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 08:20 PM)KevinL Wrote: Berry still has to work with this government, so he puts as best a face as he can on it. He still knows what he's dealing with, I'm sure.

Maybe so, and he's between a rock and a hard place, but it's gonna cost him here.

Frankly, I don't think it matters, I think this is an economic death blow from the government, fixing transit is an existential issue for our region.  We will choke to death economically in traffic on the 401...this ensures we won't have an alternative.  Businesses will not locate here, if they cannot do business here.  Sitting in traffic looking at a "Ontario open for business sign" is not a replacement for actual business.

Whether it's intentional, or a happy side effect of mindless cuts, that depends on how cynical you're feeling.

I think it may in fact be intentional.  The DoFo government seems to want to put all its high tech eggs in the Toronto basket.
(12-18-2018, 11:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I think it may in fact be intentional.  The DoFo government seems to want to put all its high tech eggs in the Toronto basket.

When they're not busy sabotaging Toronto governance seemingly out of spite?

DoFo wants to BE Toronto governance - we have a Premier who's a frustrated mayor, and his focus is on Toronto. I wonder if he sees the WR high tech community as having been too much in sync with the Wynne Liberals?
(12-18-2018, 11:18 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(12-18-2018, 10:36 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Maybe so, and he's between a rock and a hard place, but it's gonna cost him here.

I think it may in fact be intentional.  The DoFo government seems to want to put all its high tech eggs in the Toronto basket.

It's certainly created islands that can't work together
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »