Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Yeah, if it's driving straight or the curves are well-lubricated, it's as loud as a large electric car.

I stood on the sidewalk at the intersection of Water and Charles as one passed by perhaps a meter away from me. It was fantastic. Smooth, no rail squeals (though it is straight track there), light EV motor hum. It felt very much like a subway passing a platform but with considerably less wind and almost none of the noise.
(10-30-2018, 01:41 PM)Spokes Wrote: As someone that hasn't been fortunate enough to see one in person yet (seriously, what the heck?!?), do they seem loud in person?

The ones I've seen have been on straight sections so they seemed pretty quiet, certainly below the car and city noise around me at the time.
So I guess we find out next week if the ION starts this year or not.

Doesn't look promising, being that we're still missing trains, but who knows.
CTV is already preparing their piece.
Still possible, I think, but rather unlikely.
Thanks everyone! I'm glad they're quiet by the sounds of it.

(10-30-2018, 06:50 PM)jeffster Wrote: So I guess we find out next week if the ION starts this year or not.

Doesn't look promising, being that we're still missing trains, but who knows.

It there is a report about other aspects of the project (a service launch date, other promotional events, etc.) to planning and works on the 6th we should see at this link on Friday November 2nd at 4pm.

Councillor Galloway said the next vehicle report won't be until November 14th, which we would likely see on the November 9th at 4pm at the same link.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
We are still missing 4 trains and they are being delivered about once a week, right? It seems really tight. But they are still doing a lot of testing that would be inconsistent with a late launch. So I just don't know...
(10-30-2018, 10:20 PM)plam Wrote: We are still missing 4 trains and they are being delivered about once a week, right? It seems really tight. But they are still doing a lot of testing that would be inconsistent with a late launch. So I just don't know...

We're only missing 3
(10-30-2018, 10:20 PM)plam Wrote: We are still missing 4 trains and they are being delivered about once a week, right? It seems really tight. But they are still doing a lot of testing that would be inconsistent with a late launch. So I just don't know...

Technically they could run a full-service with 12 trains, without the 2 spares on standby.

Whether or not that's a good idea, I don't know. Whether or not they'd even do that, I don't know. But full service only requires 12 trains, for now, and not likely a train would break down so early in its service life.
Much more likely for a train to be involved in a collision.
At this point I have less concern about Bombardier being able to deliver the remaining trains (501 being a possible wildcard) than about Metrolinx being able to install their equipment into the trains we already have.

Do we know that it is Metrolinx' equipment? I thought there was speculation that RoW found another supplier with all of the Metrolinx heel-dragging going on.
Would installing the specialized equipment have taken less time had it been installed at the time of vehicle assembly or was it always going to be done at the end?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »