Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
The Region has consistently said they’re not doing that - they want a full system launch for the best impact for ridership. I think it’s a good idea, but severely wish they’d just have a “demo train” on weekends running between a few stations for fun.

A demo train would be a great idea, and great for PR/hype as well
If they wanted to do that, they might consider doing a Christmas shopping train that goes between UpTown and Queen, to help people park once and check out all their uptown/downtown chopping needs. Of course, I don't know where crossovers are, so...
(10-17-2018, 12:39 PM)Canard Wrote: The Region has consistently said they’re not doing that - they want a full system launch for the best impact for ridership. I think it’s a good idea, but severely wish they’d just have a “demo train” on weekends running between a few stations for fun.

I agree with this but also disagree. Having a limited service launch would make total sense by also keeping the iXpress 200 running at the same time. 10-15 min iXpress 200 and 30-45 min ION. The system needs to start service asap, and they can improve the service as soon as they can.
(10-17-2018, 01:37 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If they wanted to do that, they might consider doing a Christmas shopping train that goes between UpTown and Queen, to help people park once and check out all their uptown/downtown chopping needs. Of course, I don't know where crossovers are, so...

There hasn't been any Christmas shopping in downtown Kitchener since the King Centre was turned into offices and the shops closed in Market Square.
I like the promotional idea I saw elsewhere of running a special train decked out with lights to pick up Christmas food and gift donations at stations.
(10-17-2018, 12:39 PM)Canard Wrote: The Region has consistently said they’re not doing that - they want a full system launch for the best impact for ridership. I think it’s a good idea, but severely wish they’d just have a “demo train” on weekends running between a few stations for fun.

Adding a few demo trains, clearly advertised as being such, and in addition to the existing bus service (not cancelling any buses), could not possibly have a bad effect. Nobody would have their image of LRT ruined because a few trains ran on a Sunday for free in a party atmosphere before the real launch.

(10-17-2018, 01:37 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: If they wanted to do that, they might consider doing a Christmas shopping train that goes between UpTown and Queen, to help people park once and check out all their uptown/downtown chopping needs. Of course, I don't know where crossovers are, so...

As to crossovers, this is feasible. There is one just north of Erb/Caroline, and one south of Downtown at Cameron Heights.
(10-17-2018, 02:55 PM)jgsz Wrote:

There hasn't been any Christmas shopping in downtown Kitchener since the King Centre was turned into offices and the shops closed in Market Square.

Combine it with Christkindl, and promote it to anyone working in DTK who is parked there for work, wants to shop UpTown, but would consider going/returning by ION so that they don't have to rearrange their car.
(10-17-2018, 03:25 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: I like the promotional idea I saw elsewhere of running a special train decked out with lights to pick up Christmas food and gift donations at stations.

So like Stuff-a-Bus but with a train? Big Grin
I think running demo trains is great. One possible complication is that we don't own the trains yet. Bombardier still does. I wonder what the contract says as to the closing date for the deal.
(10-17-2018, 09:20 PM)plam Wrote: I think running demo trains is great. One possible complication is that we don't own the trains yet. Bombardier still does. I wonder what the contract says as to the closing date for the deal.

The closing date is whenever the Region decides it is.
Interesting. I guess that setting a too-early closing date means accepting a bunch of risk, but there is PR value in running demo trains.

Train-car interactions may also be more common during testing than regular production (I hope!) so that delaying as long as possible is probably a good idea in that sense.

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »