Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Why is an announcement waiting until after the election? It seems like it is an important issue.

(10-10-2018, 09:26 AM)timc Wrote: Why is an announcement waiting until after the election? It seems like it is an important issue.

For exactly that reason.
(10-10-2018, 06:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: When I first read your message I was like, opening got bumped to march or April?!?!

That’s actually exactly what I meant. Tongue

Never lose your optimism, Spokes - the positivity is refreshing (and much needed) around here.
(10-10-2018, 05:12 AM)Canard Wrote: 512 is on the way.

(10-10-2018, 07:52 AM)bgb_ca Wrote: Has 512 shipped?

Yes, I just mentioned that.

Quote:If so when? This is the first I heard of that.

It left on the 5th. It’s the first I’ve mentioned it.
(10-10-2018, 09:38 AM)Canard Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 06:57 AM)Spokes Wrote: When I first read your message I was like, opening got bumped to march or April?!?!

That’s actually exactly what I meant. Tongue

Never lose your optimism, Spokes - the positivity is  refreshing (and much needed) around here.

Wait, what??  How did I miss that?

I thought they were looking at a very early 2019 launch, like January?

I totally understand delays, it's a big project, but ugh.

Ok fine, I'll try to go back to being optimistic.  The spring will allow for much better photos when launched.
(10-10-2018, 09:31 AM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 09:26 AM)timc Wrote: Why is an announcement waiting until after the election? It seems like it is an important issue.

For exactly that reason.

Huh. That's exactly the reason I would announce it before an election.

Just three weeks ago, we were told that things were still on track for December. I know that I don't like being lied to. If it is already known that that is not going to happen, then the public should be informed. As the saying goes, "a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite to democracy."
What happened to our page count for this thread ? It is now at 1277. We were waiting to see how long to crack 1000 !!!

(10-10-2018, 10:26 AM)timc Wrote: Huh. That's exactly the reason I would announce it before an election.

Just three weeks ago, we were told that things were still on track for December. I know that I don't like being lied to. If it is already known that that is not going to happen, then the public should be informed. As the saying goes, "a well-informed electorate is a prerequisite to democracy."

You are 100% correct, but you're thinking about what's best for the people who vote, not the people who want votes.
(10-10-2018, 10:36 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote: What happened to our page count for this thread ?  It is now at 1277.  We were waiting to see how long to crack 1000  !!!

The posts per page changed for some reason
(10-10-2018, 10:17 AM)Spokes Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 09:38 AM)Canard Wrote: That’s actually exactly what I meant. Tongue

Never lose your optimism, Spokes - the positivity is  refreshing (and much needed) around here.

Wait, what??  How did I miss that?

Ok fine, I'll try to go back to being optimistic.  The spring will allow for much better photos when launched.

To be clear, this is just my opinion based on observations and rumblings, nothing concrete.
(10-10-2018, 10:42 AM)robdrimmie Wrote: You are 100% correct, but you're thinking about what's best for the people who vote, not the people who want votes.

Securities regulations put people in jail for withholding material information. Too bad municipal governance isn't held to the same standard.
(10-10-2018, 12:28 AM)Square Wrote: So I saw on the news that the traffic signals on Courtland by the dealership are still bagged.  Wonder what's the delay?

I've noticed that there aren't any gates on the dealership's side of the tracks, presumably the land required to place them is the subject of the expropriation negotiations.  On the bright side, in driving by it on multiple occasions in the past two weeks I have seen workman there -- perhaps it's finally going ahead?
(10-10-2018, 11:22 AM)kps Wrote: Securities regulations put people in jail for withholding material information. Too bad municipal governance isn't held to the same standard.

I'm curious where the line is. As long as there's a moderate (I don't know what that is. 30%? 40%?) chance of success, then hanging on to the December date is reasonably fair. The public statements have hedged a bit "things are tight, but we're still on track" type of messaging. And no one communicating for this project has been good about dates at all, so there's some amount of consistency in waiting for the last minute to push things.

But part of the issue is that the vast majority of people have no sense of nuance, so the reaction to news and transparency is to armchair project manage and critique from afar. Any discussion about the complexities of competing the project are going to be completely outweighed by the easy soundbite of "this person advocated for the LRT and the LRT project is a boondoggle so we can't vote for them!" and that kind of agitator wins over some percentage of the vote because they don't know the details and the voting public doesn't know the details.

I genuinely don't believe that an announcement of another delay at this point would bring anything resembling clarity to the election, and ultimately it wouldn't have any impact on the project itself. The only outcomes are that nerds like us have a better understanding of what's going on, and people who hate spending tax money have another piece of "they're incompetent" ammunition. They *may* be incompetent, but delays in a project of this scale are not indicative of that, they're only indicative of what shitty communicators they are.

(10-10-2018, 11:51 AM)robdrimmie Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 11:22 AM)kps Wrote: Securities regulations put people in jail for withholding material information. Too bad municipal governance isn't held to the same standard.

I'm curious where the line is. As long as there's a moderate (I don't know what that is. 30%? 40%?) chance of success, then hanging on to the December date is reasonably fair. The public statements have hedged a bit "things are tight, but we're still on track" type of messaging. And no one communicating for this project has been good about dates at all, so there's some amount of consistency in waiting for the last minute to push things.

But part of the issue is that the vast majority of people have no sense of nuance, so the reaction to news and transparency is to armchair project manage and critique from afar. Any discussion about the complexities of competing the project are going to be completely outweighed by the easy soundbite of "this person advocated for the LRT and the LRT project is a boondoggle so we can't vote for them!" and that kind of agitator wins over some percentage of the vote because they don't know the details and the voting public doesn't know the details.

I genuinely don't believe that an announcement of another delay at this point would bring anything resembling clarity to the election, and ultimately it wouldn't have any impact on the project itself. The only outcomes are that nerds like us have a better understanding of what's going on, and people who hate spending tax money have another piece of "they're incompetent" ammunition. They *may* be incompetent, but delays in a project of this scale are not indicative of that, they're only indicative of what shitty communicators they are.

I'm of the opinion that if there are any delays we are at a point where they should be measured in days or weeks rather than in months.
(10-10-2018, 11:06 AM)Canard Wrote:
(10-10-2018, 10:17 AM)Spokes Wrote: Wait, what??  How did I miss that?

To be clear, this is just my opinion based on observations and rumblings, nothing concrete.

I hope you're wrong then, my friend.  I fear you might be right, you often are.

How many more trains are we waiting on to arrive?  I assume a lot has to do with that.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »