Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
It has to do with the electronic refresh rate of the LED lights in the traffic light and the capture rate of the camera.

You don’t see it with incandescent lights because they glow hot and hold their illumination. Led’s dont do that.

(09-18-2018, 07:53 PM)Canard Wrote: It has to do with the electronic refresh rate of the LED lights in the traffic light and the capture rate of the camera.

You don’t see it with incandescent lights because they glow hot and hold their illumination. Led’s dont do that.

It's pretty funny, we have a bedroom lamp which tries to dimmer the bulb by blinking. Now that we have an LED, it blinks. Ha.

So I tried to look in the cab of the LRT as I was on Laurel Trail today and it sort of looked like the big missing box was there. I'll try to look more closely tomorrow.
(09-18-2018, 09:22 PM)plam Wrote:
(09-18-2018, 07:53 PM)Canard Wrote: It has to do with the electronic refresh rate of the LED lights in the traffic light and the capture rate of the camera.

It's pretty funny, we have a bedroom lamp which tries to dimmer the bulb by blinking. Now that we have an LED, it blinks. Ha.

So I tried to look in the cab of the LRT as I was on Laurel Trail today and it sort of looked like the big missing box was there. I'll try to look more closely tomorrow.

The box, you mean where the specialized equipment goes?  In the last report in July, 502, 503 and 504 were first to get it installed here.   I have yet to hear on the radio that these vehicles are testing yet.

Maybe we will hear more today at the council meeting!
Public confirmation that 511 shipped Monday with the FIE installed.

If someone who is knowledgeable about such things could please post the link to the update from the Region’s site when it is available it would be appreciated.
Please wait until Monday to arrive.
I looked closely at the ION train at the University of Waterloo today. It's #506. They have a bunch of computer screens in the dash but there is still an open slot for a screen. So I guess we're still waiting on those. (Will upload pictures in a bit). The testing cadence seems to have recently increased. Hope the Council report has good news.
The “hole” is where the specialized equipment (“FIE” or Free-Issued Equipment) is to be installed. The vehicle en-route from Millhaven (511) is the first one equipped with it. Three more vehicles here have begun some of the preliminary installation steps, from what I understand.

Earlier this afternoon, crews were using an LRV on King in Midtown (between Kitchener and Waterloo) doing sound testing.  Police would block off a ~500 m section, allow the cars to filter away, then the LRV would go past big elaborate microphone stands on either side of the road.  Pretty neat!

Any sign of that PDF LRV update yet?  Tom said it's on the Region's site... but made no reference to where.
(09-19-2018, 03:20 PM)Canard Wrote: Earlier this afternoon, crews were using an LRV on King in Midtown (between Kitchener and Waterloo) doing sound testing.  Police would block off a ~500 m section, allow the cars to filter away, then the LRV would go past big elaborate microphone stands on either side of the road.  Pretty neat!

Any sign of that PDF LRV update yet?  Tom said it's on the Region's site... but made no reference to where.

https://calendar.regionofwaterloo.ca/Cou...df#page=13  Embedded at the end of the revised agenda for the council meeting today
Can someone explain this sentence?:
"To expedite installation one train (Vehicle 510) will remain in Kingston for on-board installations, rather than complete installations in Waterloo as originally planned."

I thought 510 was always going to stay in Kingston for on-board installations; how is this different?

The document says installation is half-way done on 502/503/504 after starting on July 16. Installation is "expected to be complete in late September/early October."

July 16 to October 1 is 77 days (54 work days).

54 workdays from October 1 is December 18.

That's cutting it pretty close (and that's not including at testing of the newly installed equipment).

Even if they halve the time for the next 5 Waterloo installations, which seems unlikely given that there would be 5 not the current 3 they are working on, that would be 27 days or November 8 - still not a lot of wiggle room.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-19-2018, 06:08 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The document says installation is half-way done on 502/504/504 after starting on July 16. Installation is "expected to be complete in late September/early October."

That's cutting it pretty close (and that's not including at testing of the newly installed equipment).

Even if they half the time for the next 5 Waterloo installations, which seems unlikely given that there would be 5 not the current 3 they are working on, that would be 27 days or November 8 - still not a lot of wiggle room.

Why October? The document was published today. The 51% progress update is surely from some time earlier. If we assume it's from last Friday, for example, it's 43 work days. Add another 43 days to last Friday and we get 16 November 2018.
(09-19-2018, 06:33 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:08 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: The document says installation is half-way done on 502/503/504 after starting on July 16. Installation is "expected to be complete in late September/early October."

Even if they halve the time for the next 5 Waterloo installations, which seems unlikely given that there would be 5 not the current 3 they are working on, that would be 27 days or November 8 - still not a lot of wiggle room.

Why October? The document was published today. The 51% progress update is surely from some time earlier. If we assume it's from last Friday, for example, it's 43 work days. Add another 43 days to last Friday and we get 16 November 2018.

We don't need to know the date 51% completion was achieved. From the report we know the start date (July 16) and an expected end date (late September/early October) which allows us to calculate the duration of the procedure.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
It's also worth noting that work should proceed more quickly on subsequent vehicles. No matter how well defined a process, there is always a learning curve that won't be repeated with subsequent installations.

(09-19-2018, 07:20 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: It's also worth noting that work should proceed more quickly on subsequent vehicles.  No matter how well defined a process, there is always a learning curve that won't be repeated with subsequent installations.

This. 100% this.
Don't worry, 515 will have the super duper special equipment to start the learning curve again. Smile
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »