Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
St. Patrick's celebrations
https://twitter.com/WRPSToday/status/984...80672?s=19

A) They call it unsanctioned (not illegal)
B) Seeking ways to eliminate large gatherings.

Straight from the horses mouth.

(04-15-2018, 11:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Were you actually there?

Yes, in fact I was there. I tried to pass through that area several times that day and was late for several appointments due to detours around this apparently perfectly legal gathering. If an event is considered unsanctioned by the various authorities who could make it legal, it is and illegal event. The Waterloo mayor was just on CBC radio and talked about ways they might consider to make the party legal, not ban all large gatherings of people.

Another fact that you are ignoring is that, the exercising of one person's or 22,000 persons' rights cannot infringe upon another person's ability to exercise their rights. Just like free speech, you are free to voice your opinions, but when they stray in to hate speech that is no longer allowed. My freedom of movement, and 1000s of others', was infringed upon that day, and frankly I felt threatened passingly through that area.

I will make no further comment on this topic; clearly all perspectives are firmly entrenched in their beliefs, and this is no longer productive or a solution focused discussion.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
You are the one making up facts. Somethinh being unsanctioned does not make it illegal. That's the fundamental part of a free society. This conversation is not sanctioned. But it is not illegal.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it illryal.
(04-16-2018, 08:11 AM)Pheidippides Wrote:
(04-15-2018, 11:14 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Were you actually there?

Yes, in fact I was there. I tried to pass through that area several times that day and was late for several appointments due to detours around this apparently perfectly legal gathering. If an event is considered unsanctioned by the various authorities who could make it legal, it is and illegal event. The Waterloo mayor was just on CBC radio and talked about ways they might consider to make the party legal, not ban all large gatherings of people.

Another fact that you are ignoring is that, the exercising of one person's or 22,000 persons' rights cannot infringe upon another person's ability to exercise their rights. Just like free speech, you are free to voice your opinions, but when they stray in to hate speech that is no longer allowed. My freedom of movement, and 1000s of others', was infringed upon that day, and frankly I felt threatened passingly through that area.

I will make no further comment on this topic; clearly all perspectives are firmly entrenched in their beliefs, and this is no longer productive or a solution focused discussion.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Hey, BTW, I was reading an older article, and before this party got this huge this year, Waterloo tried having a couple sanctioned events. I guess word got out that Waterloo was party central for St. Paddy's day, and rather than visit the sanctioned events, they went to Ezra. So I am guessing even if Waterloo wanted to make this a sanctioned event, they'd have to set up shop on Ezra. Now I'm not certain why they don't do that (unless it presents problems for them). But it seems to be the easiest way to deal with this event.

Also found out that the universities were hiring security to protect their property from the parties (which is a legal event, as is the legal vandalism done to school property). I guess anyone now can drink on any public road and public property and if the police say anything, just point out that fact that drinking on the street is legal because it's done yearly on Ezra, which is all legal.....
(04-16-2018, 08:40 AM)danbrotherston Wrote: You are the one making up facts.  Somethinh being unsanctioned does not make it illegal. That's the fundamental part of a free society. This conversation is not sanctioned. But it is not illegal.

Just because you don't like something doesn't make it illryal.

Conversations here ARE sanctioned, that is why you see moderation action with some posts. The owner of this site, and any of his moderators have the right to ban anyone from here. Could be me. Could be you. Anyone.

If it was unsanctioned, then it could be a free-for-all and respect wouldn't be needed, and we could call each other names and swear and everything else. And ask the best place to get some good drugs, rather than good pizza.

We don't live in a 'free' society. We legally have to pay taxes. That's not free. We have to earn our license, keep it in good standing, purchase insurance, and be at least 16 and pass testing, in order to drive. A parent legally cannot keep their children from school, even if there is bullying, because that's a provincial offence. We cannot go get my knee replacement in Ontario at a private practice. I have to go to New York for that.

As for driving, for example, everyone speeds. It's not enforced if someone is going over by 10 or 15 or even 20 over the limit. After that, police start to charge. At 50, this is a criminal offence. And you lose your right to drive. If as doctor or teacher touches someone inappropriately, they lose their license to practice or license to teach.

We live in a country that has a lot of freedoms, and as long as those freedoms don't harm others, we can do pretty much what we want. Our charter guarantee's those rights. However, certain 'freedoms' can violate our charter freedoms. Some of those charter freedoms are the ability to get access to medical care and EMS care in a timely fashion. Those charter freedoms are violated by events like Ezra.

My two scents worth (unsure if the s or c is silent),

Anyway, I'm done with this component of the conversation....
This idea you need government permission to do anything that is legal is ridiculous.

That is literally the law in authoritian countries.

And no. The conversations here aren't sanctioned by the city, country or any government entity. By your logic they are illegal. Because the Ezra event is sanctioned by every student who invites someone over.

Now whenever your ready to drop this rididvulous claim that I need government permission to stand on a sidewalk and talk to people I'm ready.
One feels that this discussion has rather gone off the rails. Perhaps the thread need to be put on hold until the task force starts coming up with ideas to reduce the size of the event. Will they hold public consultations, I wonder?

(04-16-2018, 09:50 AM)panamaniac Wrote: One feels that this discussion has rather gone off the rails.  Perhaps the thread need to be put on hold until the task force starts coming up with ideas to reduce the size of the event.  Will they hold public consultations, I wonder?

Several people have said (above) that they are done with the discussion here, so I'm cautiously hopeful that things will calm down and we won't need to lock the thread.
Interesting article in The Record:

https://www.therecord.com/whatson-story/...he-future/

In particular, the author tracked down the previous occurrences I recalled, confirming I was correct (albeit very fuzzy on the details). He also asks the question of why nobody remembers the earlier incidents.

Also, it seems the “modern renaissance” so to speak occurred in 2012, when, although the author doesn’t mention it, March 17 was a Saturday.
2012 might have been the biggest in a long time but it wasn't the first of the current batch. I remember parties on Ezra in the late 2000s.
(04-21-2018, 09:17 AM)greybird Wrote: 2012 might have been the biggest in a long time but it wasn't the first of the current batch. I remember parties on Ezra in the late 2000s.

That sounds right to me too. I think he was just saying that it was big that year and attracted more attention.

I’m still not entirely clear on whether the incidents in the 1990s occurred on March 17 or a different day.
(04-21-2018, 09:04 AM)ijmorlan Wrote: Interesting article in The Record:

https://www.therecord.com/whatson-story/...he-future/

In particular, the author tracked down the previous occurrences I recalled, confirming I was correct (albeit very fuzzy on the details). He also asks the question of why nobody remembers the earlier incidents.

Also, it seems the “modern renaissance” so to speak occurred in 2012, when, although the author doesn’t mention it, March 17 was a Saturday.

Probably a lot don't remember because 1,500 people isn't a lot of people. I vaguely recall those earlier parties, as I had been working up in Waterloo since 1994, but my brain functions like this:

1,500 -- not enough to fill 'Centre in the Square'...so small crowd.
10,000 -- lower bowl at Copps (in Hamilton) plus about 1,000 people -- or the Blues Fest in Kitchener when they had David Wilcox play to the afternoon crowd...so good size crowd.
22,500 -- lower bowl at SkyDome (Rogers Centre)...so very large crowd.

This was brilliant: "They would have greater success if they set up giant speakers and blasted Sirius Radio's Yacht Rock channel, allowing the soothing sounds of Kenny Loggins and Christopher Cross to work their mellow magic."

As much as a "LOL" moment that is, when I gave it some thought, and as crazy as it sounds (pardon the pun), it might work.

Quote:?? And if the wind is right you can sail away and find tranquility ??
I am reluctant to resurrect interest in this thread, but here is a related article with potential strategies that could be adopted here:
Kingston, Ont., mayor says party crackdown showing early results

190 days to St. Patrick's day 2019.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.

(09-08-2018, 07:04 PM)Pheidippides Wrote: I am reluctant to resurrect interest in this thread, but here is a related article with potential strategies that could be adopted here:
Kingston, Ont., mayor says party crackdown showing early results

190 days to St. Patrick's day 2019.

You're brave.

I'm going to be really ignorant here, but I was unaware that these types of fines could be paid online. Guess I've been out of the judicial loop way too long.
A lot of municipalities (ours included) allow for online payments through a third party website provider. (paytickets.ca) They add an extra fee to the cost of the ticket to cover their service.

What it looks like they are doing in Kingston, instead of issuing a normal yellow ticket (Provincial Offence Notice - Part I, they issue a pink ticket (Provincial Offence Notice - Part III). The part III is a summons to court, and doesn't have a set fine attached to it. Part I's have a set fine limit of $500. Part III's have a limit of $5000. For example, a charge of stunt driving would be done on a Part III.

I'm sure this is being done solely as a pain in the ass factor, to tie everyone up in court for a day in hopes that behaviour improves. I'm mixed on this. If it works, great.... but it wastes the court's time as well. Part III's are supposed to be for serious/repeat violations, not nuisance charges.

The big stick lies in the fact that if the person fails to attend for their court date, there is a warrant issued for their arrest, and comes with a more serious failure to attend court charge. This is common practice in Alberta... I see warrants for arrest all the time for "Dog Run At Large - Winnipeg" and have to shake my head... waste of my time, especially since I know Alberta police aren't coming out here to effect the arrest.

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »