Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(07-31-2018, 12:16 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The gates and signals at the UW pedestrian crossing have been activated for more than 10 minutes with no train or Grandlinq employees in sight. People are just ignoring it and sneaking past. This is apparently a fairly regular occurrence.

Did you call it in to 519-575-4400? If those issues don't get noticed and called in they can't get fixed.

(07-31-2018, 12:16 PM)Bob_McBob Wrote: The gates and signals at the UW pedestrian crossing have been activated for more than 10 minutes with no train or Grandlinq employees in sight. People are just ignoring it and sneaking past. This is apparently a fairly regular occurrence.

This is why that cartoon exists. The specific case is unrelated and the cartoonist is complaining about the wrong things, but at least a handful of the folks I know in town who commute by car have been blocked by something they identify as LRT testing or problems from the LRT and they aren't going to differentiate about what testing is happening (or if there's an active crew out). It's just "ha yeah the LRT what a boondoggle, fucked up traffic for years and still does it and they haven't gotten it running yet". It's a real easy wave of negativity for people to hop on board.
(07-31-2018, 12:47 PM)trainspotter139 Wrote:

Did you call it in to 519-575-4400? If those issues don't get noticed and called in they can't get fixed.

True enough, but on the other hand there should be a light going off in the control room if a crossing is activated for an excessive period of time. Given how many wires they installed for this project, it would be insane if the control room couldn’t see everything the crossing protection is doing.
507 is heading out in about 10 minutes (departing the OMSF at 13h20).
They know about the ped gates at University and are working on them. The LRV will be going by them shortly at Stop-and-Proceed. They are heading to the Cameron crossover.
Just passed 507 - it was northbound out of Kitchener Market.
(07-31-2018, 07:46 AM)Canard Wrote: Hey, I’m butthurt it doesn’t go to Elmira or St. Jacob’s. I think of that every time I drive or bike up there, how awesome it would be to see an LRV ripping through the fields...

(Ridiculous; you have to add the "?=t0s" to the end, or some other time index... so I added 1m6s to the end to have it start at the spot where the LRV is going through the field... and it doesn't even work.)

I'm thinking if you take the LRT to Fairview and sit on left side of the train, you're getting plenty of fields to see, especially the hydro corridor. I think also between Ottawa/Mill and the other side of the expressway.

No, haha - I meant being wayside and seeing the LRV go flying by.

Lots of switch problems (still!!) today at all the crossovers. We had some errands to run in midtown and it just so happens 507 was parked right in front of the building we were at. They were trying desperately to get the switch to work, to no avail.

They seem to have problems with the Cameron crossover every time, too - including today.

Probably 100 workers out in 10 different crews all over the alignment in the ~5 km section we happened to drive along, all sorts of rework going on.

December, huh?
(07-31-2018, 05:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Probably 100 workers out in 10 different crews all over the alignment in the ~5 km section we happened to drive along, all sorts of rework going on.

December, huh?

They have been quite busy this week doing what looks like minor detail work. I wonder what's going on. December is still 4 months away...
(07-31-2018, 10:32 PM)plam Wrote:
(07-31-2018, 05:09 PM)Canard Wrote: Probably 100 workers out in 10 different crews all over the alignment in the ~5 km section we happened to drive along, all sorts of rework going on.

December, huh?

They have been quite busy this week doing what looks like minor detail work. I wonder what's going on. December is still 4 months away...

And December is best case scenario...  Confused
So, as I was biking along the line the other night, I noticed that none of the art installations have even begun. Some of them were to be complete by now.
(08-01-2018, 04:46 PM)Canard Wrote: So, as I was biking along the line the other night, I noticed that none of the art installations have even begun.  Some of them were to be complete by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed until many months after service starts! And some of them might not even happen at all, ever!
Oh, other minor note:  At least one lubricator is on or has been tested (yay!).  While waiting for the light at Charles/Stirling, I looked over and noticed black grease marks right where the lubricant applicator is.  So, that's good - not sure if it was a pattern from a one-time test, or if it's now activated and lubing as per the settings internal to the unit (it counts axles and pumps a set amount, determined by a timer).

I'll keep an eye out for the others and see if I notice similar patterns on them.

(08-01-2018, 04:53 PM)urbd Wrote:
(08-01-2018, 04:46 PM)Canard Wrote: So, as I was biking along the line the other night, I noticed that none of the art installations have even begun.  Some of them were to be complete by now.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were delayed until many months after service starts! And some of them might not even happen at all, ever!

Why not?
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/s...3#pid53563
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »