Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 3.38 Average
Trails
The Forwell Trail is closed just South of Lexington, by the tunnel:

Joking aside, I'm glad they're fixing up this small section, which has been awful for years.

I use that daily, I hope it is reopened soon.
Smile My post was kind of tongue-in-cheek. It's not really closed. If you can believe it, I broke the rules and went past. It's a 2m section of the trail they're fixing (that really bad concrete section when you pop out of the tunnel). I guess legally they have to sign it as "closed".
Iron Horse Trail
  • HARD CLOSED: Queen to Victoria
  • OPEN/COMPLETE: Victoria to Glasgow
  • A lane stripe has been painted on the section which was rebuilt last year, by Catalyst.

Central Promenade Reconstruction
  • Open for the weekend!
  • Please keep off the grass.
  • No lane markings yet.
  • New pedestrian bridge still closed - a number of deficiencies need to be addressed.
  • Opening Ceremony will not be held on Canada Day as was originally intended.
  • No word yet from project team on how pedestrians and cyclists will be directed to use the appropriate lane.

King MUT, between Northfield and Conestogo
  • SOFT CLOSED (signage only, gravel in front of property at corner of Northfield/King)
  • No word on progress from the Region.

(06-30-2018, 01:07 PM)Canard Wrote: King MUT, between Northfield and Conestogo
  • SOFT CLOSED (signage only, gravel in front of property at corner of Northfield/King)

Very hopeful something happens here this year. If it drags into the winter, that'll be a mess.
(06-30-2018, 01:02 PM)Canard Wrote: Central Promenade Reconstruction
  • Open for the weekend!
  • Please keep off the grass.
I tried to leave the Central Promenade for Caroline/Erb yesterday and after biking for a while on the nice new promenade ashphalt, at the intersection, there was a fence and a "keep off the grass" sign. Not sure how that's supposed to work.

Right, I saw that too! I was by about...4pm? And it was fully blocked, which I thought was unfair considering they did NOT block the access at the North end - so if someone came down they'd get trapped, just as you were.

A few hours later, however (6pm?), John tweeted that it was possible to pass. I checked this morning on my ride and they had altered the fence to allow passage there.
(06-30-2018, 01:17 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(06-30-2018, 01:07 PM)Canard Wrote: King MUT, between Northfield and Conestogo

Very hopeful something happens here this year. If it drags into the winter, that'll be a mess.

Will it be more of a mess than it was last winter? It has been closed since the LRT rapidway construction began.
Great news for the Central Promenade!

https://twitter.com/uu_john/status/10145...54400?s=21

These can’t come soon enough. While the trail was temporarily open over the weekend, it was a disaster with people wandering everywhere aimlessly.
Update on the Bridgeport-LaurelTrail-Peppler crossing:

Quote:To: Concerned Parties
Re: Deferral of Proposed Relocation of Intersection Pedestrian Signal (IPS) -
Bridgeport Road (Regional Road 9) at Peppler Street Intersection, in the City of
Waterloo
This letter serves to advise you that Regional Council at its meeting held June 27, 2018 deferred
a decision to relocate the above mentioned traffic signal to a future meeting of Regional Council.
A follow-up report is tentatively scheduled to be presented to Regional Council in the Summer or
Fall of 2018
in Regional Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, Regional Administration Building, 150
Frederick Street, Kitchener, Ontario.
All residents who indicated an interest in being notified when this matter would be dealt with
will be contacted prior to the meeting scheduled to address this matter.
(07-05-2018, 10:19 AM)Markster Wrote: Update on the Bridgeport-LaurelTrail-Peppler crossing:

Quote:To: Concerned Parties
Re: Deferral of Proposed Relocation of Intersection Pedestrian Signal (IPS) -
Bridgeport Road (Regional Road 9) at Peppler Street Intersection, in the City of
Waterloo
This letter serves to advise you that Regional Council at its meeting held June 27, 2018 deferred
a decision to relocate the above mentioned traffic signal to a future meeting of Regional Council.
A follow-up report is tentatively scheduled to be presented to Regional Council in the Summer or
Fall of 2018
in Regional Council Chambers, 2nd Floor, Regional Administration Building, 150
Frederick Street, Kitchener, Ontario.
All residents who indicated an interest in being notified when this matter would be dealt with
will be contacted prior to the meeting scheduled to address this matter.

Does anyone know what the discussion at that meeting was?  Are they considering having two crossings, or are they simply reconsidering moving it?
The meeting was postponed, so there was no discussion. The report that was widely derided suggesting removal of the Peppler crossing was sent back to staff.

Details are scant. Basically all we know is what's in that communication I quoted.
We don't know what staff have been directed to do. Are they going to consider both crossings now? Are they going to entrench on moving the crossing? We don't know.

I had thought these signs to be long gone, but imagine my surprise when I found one at Vanier and Traynor today. They date back to the 80s, or perhaps late 70s. Check out that penny-farthing!

[Image: 9nYLk63.jpg]
Great find! Nothing says welcome to our modern community full of great cycling infrastructure than a Penny Farthing on a 30 year old sign shrouded in shrubbery.

There was another one where the Filsinger trail crossed Patricia up until about 2013, but seems to have disappeared before 2014.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »