Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(08-23-2017, 06:58 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(08-23-2017, 06:52 PM)jeffster Wrote: You'd have to ask the politicians that question. I suppose it was "if you're late, you pay us, but if you're done on time, we'll start paying by this date.."

Unsure why Bombardier got the contract, we had choices from other makers.  I guess perhaps "nationalism" got in the way, so we went with "Canadian" despite it not being a great idea.

Everyone that was against the LRT and kept saying that it wouldn't be up and running by the date the Region claimed have been vindicated.

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not up before 2020. I figure 2019 by the time the trains are all here, plus a few more months of testing, adjusting, and then training. Spring 2020, we'll see service.

Wasn't this supposed to be up and running by fall 2017?

The order was from Bombardier because their prices were substantially lower.  It also allowed the region to order our trains along with Metrolinx which further lowered costs.

The LRT was supposed to be running in fall 2017.  There is little reason to think at this point that it won't be running in 2018, 2019 would require enormous new problems at Bombardier.  2020 would mean that we have trains from another manufacturer.

The trains being late is unfortunate and frustrating, but given that construction is finishing essentially on time, I'd argue the naysayers haven't a leg to stand on.  The vast majority of them don't care if the train is running, only if they're obstructed by construction anyway.

Looks like 2019 will be the absolute earliest now.

Seems most of the blame goes to Bombardier, but I think once we have the trains here, extensive training and testing will be needed. How long that takes? I would think much more than 6 months.

(06-27-2018, 08:45 PM)jeffster Wrote: Looks like 2019 will be the absolute earliest now.

You and I must be reading different reports if that's your conclusion.
Still have my fingers crossed opening gets bumped to Spring 2019; absolutely do not want opening day to be in the winter (so gross!!). Have been dreaming of this day for years, we don't need it ruined by having it happen in a snowstorm.
(06-27-2018, 08:51 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 08:45 PM)jeffster Wrote: Looks like 2019 will be the absolute earliest now.

You and I must be reading different reports if that's your conclusion.

They're saying December 2018. Early 2019 seems more reasonable, at this point. It's at best only 1 month off of the Regions new target date.
(06-27-2018, 09:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Still have my fingers crossed opening gets bumped to Spring 2019; absolutely do not want opening day to be in the winter (so gross!!).  Have been dreaming of this day for years, we don't need it ruined by having it happen in a snowstorm.

Those of us who hope to rely on this transit system for our daily transportation would still like it opened ASAP Smile

Frankly, this is getting ridiculous though.  The equipment necessary is for automatic train control is it not?  Can we drive the trains manually till it's tested?

Seriously though, the scheduled opening date is a year and 3 months late, missing that means what, a year and a half.  So why wasn't this fire started under Bombardier's butts a year and a half before the anticipated launch date when it became clear the specialized equipment wouldn't be ready?  I understand there are problems, but we should have seen them coming long before.
I can't help but think that a lot of the vehicle delays trace back to politics within Metrolinx. We were never supposed to be the launch customer but with Finch West and the Crosstown delayed and the other Transit City lines flat out cancelled, there was a lot of heel dragging on getting the specs signed off. This was admitted to in the courts when Metrolinx tried and failed to break out of the Bombardier contract completely. Unfortunately our system was the flea on the dog through all of that.
(06-25-2018, 09:46 AM)trainspotter139 Wrote:
(06-25-2018, 09:11 AM)Canard Wrote: Gorgeous shots as always, Matt.

Anyone else finding that the Radio Player is now playing OPP stuff, not LRT chatter?

Yeah it would seem the streams got messed up somehow

Where are you listening? In the past I've used cykf.net, but not recently. It's a great site complete with WRPS police codes.

(06-27-2018, 09:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Seriously though, the scheduled opening date is a year and 3 months late, missing that means what, a year and a half.  So why wasn't this fire started under Bombardier's butts a year and a half before the anticipated launch date when it became clear the specialized equipment wouldn't be ready?  I understand there are problems, but we should have seen them coming long before.

Notably that delayed equipment is a Grandlinq responsibility, not Bombardier, so I don't think we can lay all the blame at Bombardier's door.
Also worth noting that Bombardier just shipped the first 7 module vehicle for Edmonton's Valley Line precisely on schedule, and has met their first and second quarter TTC commitments.
Not sure if anyone saw this line

Quote:An additional two vehicles are anticipated to be delivered in late June/early July. This will bring the total number of vehicles in Waterloo to eight and will allow testing and driver training to occur simultaneously

Time to start up the #iontracker again?
(06-27-2018, 10:49 PM)bgb_ca Wrote: Not sure if anyone saw this line

Quote:An  additional  two vehicles  are anticipated to be delivered in late June/early  July.   This  will  bring  the total  number  of  vehicles  in  Waterloo to  eight  and will allow  testing  and  driver  training  to  occur  simultaneously

Time to start up the #iontracker again?

Late June?? Late June would be by June 30th...It's the 28th now, I can't see late June happening.

Oh well....I really want to ride this train, but as it stands, what should have been two years of my daughter riding the train to school (after a transfer) has turned into 'not going to happen'. Is what it is.
(06-27-2018, 09:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Those of us who hope to rely on this transit system for our daily transportation would still like it opened ASAP Smile

Maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome... As amazing as opening day will be, I just don’t want for this to be over. Sad The last 3-4 years have been absolutely incredible.

As for your other questions, no, they can’t just temporarily run without it, and it’s not Bombardier’s fault in any way. They are now doing far more than was originally contracted - designing and fabricating custom mounts and doing the installation of this stuff - this was never part of their original scope. The problem is 100% on Metrolinx’ shoulders, who still haven’t figured out the ATC system for Crosstown. If we’d waited for them... we’d be looking at an opening in years, not months.

Fun Perspective: DC Streetcar opened 9 years late.
(06-28-2018, 06:19 AM)Canard Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 09:15 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: Those of us who hope to rely on this transit system for our daily transportation would still like it opened ASAP Smile

Maybe I have Stockholm Syndrome... As amazing as opening day will be, I just don’t want for this to be over. Sad The last 3-4 years have been absolutely incredible.

As for your other questions, no, they can’t just temporarily run without it, and it’s not Bombardier’s fault in any way. They are now doing far more than was originally contracted - designing and fabricating custom mounts and doing the installation of this stuff - this was never part of their original scope. The problem is 100% on Metrolinx’ shoulders, who still haven’t figured out the ATC system for Crosstown. If we’d waited for them... we’d be looking at an opening in years, not months.

Fun Perspective: DC Streetcar opened 9 years late.

I want it opened as soon as possible, and I wouldn’t wait for a “nice” day in order for it to happen.

As to Metrolinx, if I may interject a political comment, there is one way in which the Ford PCs are better than the McGuinty/Wynne Liberals: with the PCs you know they are a bull in a china shop, run by a lying idiot. With the Liberals, they say they want to build good transit, but they keep delaying and going along with idiots who want to change the plan from LRT to subways, to the extent that even after 15 years in office, nothing is open and hardly anything is even under construction. There is a certain honesty about the PCs, which is ironic considering Doug Ford’s relationship with the truth.

570 News this morning was talking about "more delays" for LRT. Didn't give much context, literally said "more delays announced today for the Region's LRT vehicles from Bombardier, are we ever going to get our trains. Tom Galloway will be joining us later to discuss the latest delivery delays from Bombardier".

https://twitter.com/570NEWS/status/1012343264836444160 Appears that Tom is currently live on the show.

Anyone know what this latest "news" is about?
(06-28-2018, 10:50 AM)JJTL Wrote: 570 News this morning was talking about "more delays" for LRT. Didn't give much context, literally said "more delays announced today for the Region's LRT vehicles from Bombardier, are we ever going to get our trains. Tom Galloway will be joining us later to discuss the latest delivery delays from Bombardier".

https://twitter.com/570NEWS/status/1012343264836444160 Appears that Tom is currently live on the show.

Anyone know what this latest "news" is about?

That the headlines they were running were incorrect and that there is no delay.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »