Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
ION Phase 2 - Cambridge's Light Rail Transit
(06-22-2018, 09:37 AM)ijmorlan Wrote:
(06-21-2018, 10:49 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: I've said it many times.  Any PC supporter who thinks they're a fiscal conservative is choosing not to pay attention.

This is exactly what is so crazy about politics right now. I can understand disagreements about things; for example, maybe I want increased spending on public transit and somebody else wants increased spending on roads. But the idea of voting for the current incarnation of the PCs because they’re fiscally responsible — that’s just nutty. Democracy won’t work if a large fraction of voters refuse to consider basic suitability for the job when making their choices.

Not just basic suitability, but reality...the policies that the PCs have been promising aren't fiscally responsible.  They're not even willing to acknowledge what they're voting for.

(06-20-2018, 05:23 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: ...Often you hear of it in the context of developments, like how there should be a made-in-Cambridge solution to safe consumption sites because as-proposed will destroy Galt...

And this single line in your post proves why we will require a third look.  People in Cambridge down know about the distinct society that is Preston.  We need a made-in-Preston solution... we are so sick of the elites in Galt and Hespeler making all the decisions for us.... Tongue

Coke
Can we please not quote dear leader in this forum? While I can block him everywhere else in my life I cannot do that here because there aren’t any forum tools to do so. Thank you.
(06-23-2018, 09:40 PM)Canard Wrote: Can we please not quote dear leader in this forum? While I can block him everywhere else in my life I cannot do that here because there aren’t any forum tools to do so. Thank you.

You mean Doug Ford? I don't like him either, but he is our next Premier and his voice is not exactly one that should be ignored on a forum like this considering the power and influence he holds.
(06-23-2018, 09:40 PM)Canard Wrote: Can we please not quote dear leader in this forum? While I can block him everywhere else in my life I cannot do that here because there aren’t any forum tools to do so. Thank you.

Who are you referencing as "dear leader". And when did it become your job to determine who will be censored from discussions? That is a slippery slope !!!
(06-24-2018, 09:25 AM)Rainrider22 Wrote:

Who are you referencing as "dear leader". And when did it become your job to determine who will be censored from discussions? That is a slippery slope !!!

Anyway, it is not true that he can be blocked everywhere else — in fact, where he can’t be blocked unilaterally is precisely where it matters most, in his impact on government policies.
So, with the Hurontario LRT in Mississauga looking a bit iffy these days, has there been any hint yet of what the DoFo government is thinking wrt to funding for Phase II?

Burn it all!

: stare. :
I kind of assumed funding would be difficult to impossible to get under his leadership.
Based on the past few months, I would agree with that. Transit is traditionally a liberal ideal (ideology, not necessarily party). I wouldn't be surprised (although very disappointed) to see transit projects next on the chopping block, although highways would likely remain funded.
I think it would be different if there was a current NEED, but there isn't, it's a long term thing. With Ford seemingly intent on cutting costs wherever possible, the more I think about it, the more I think it's extremely unlikely to get funding on project like phase 2 without evidence of phase 1's success.
I don't think any amount of evidence of success of Ion Phase One will secure provincial funding for Ion Phase Two in the next three years. After comments from provincial politicians during the municipal election regarding Hamilton's LRT funding, it's pretty clear they won't be funding any new transit projects of this type.
What did they say, I didn't see?

(11-19-2018, 02:56 PM)Spokes Wrote: … Ford …
… evidence …

These two words don’t go together.
(11-19-2018, 12:16 PM)panamaniac Wrote: So, with the Hurontario LRT in Mississauga looking a bit iffy these days, has there been any hint yet of what the DoFo government is thinking wrt to funding for Phase II?

Hurontario is a lot further along in planning, and has a better usage case, than our Phase 2. I highly doubt it will get provincial funding approval in this environment.

That said, as far as representation of the local area goes, all the MP(P)s for the ridings (Kit S-Hespeler and Cambridge) involved are in their respective governing parties. If they can shout loud enough, who knows?
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »