Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.75 Average
General Food, Dining and Nightlife News
Re: The Berlin (copied from a post in the Facebook group: Food In The Waterloo Region)

"The Berlin becomes THE RICH UNCLE TAVERN MAY 2018

Redesigned space and menu will focus on hearty fare and craft beverages in a rich, charming and sociable atmosphere inspired by the brasseries and taverns of yesteryear.

The Berlin restaurant will close May 14".

And from another post in the same group ...

"A brief reflection on the impending closure of the Berlin in KW.

Breaking news: The Berlin in KW to close, and the “Rich Uncle Tavern” to take its place.

The beloved Berlin in Kitchener Ontario will close May 14th to be re-born by the end of the month as “The Rich Uncle Tavern (@richuncletavern).” The “re-designed space and menu will focus on hearty fare and craft beverages…inspired by the brasseries and taverns of yesteryear.” The culinary team of Chefs Ben Lillico and Brian McCourt will remain at the helm of the new enterprise which remains at the heart of the Ignite Group’s burgeoning culinary cluster that includes the Red Circle and the Graffiti projects at the Catalyst building in Belmont village as well as other projects that may be in the works.

The closure of The Berlin, reflects the difficulty of keeping a fine dining restaurant going in a region that is accustomed to “hearty fare” (and portions)! One can only hope the new direction, and the apparent energy of the IGNITE Restaurant Group Canada, will allow culinary talents like McCourt and Lillico to flourish, while continuing to build a portfolio of interesting culinary destinations and the reputation of Waterloo Region, something The Berlin did in spades."

Apparently around noon today there were two food trucks (LobsterLimo and GastroGrub) in the parking lot of the old corner store on Joseph at Water, and they will be returning on May 10.

https://twitter.com/sandra_castle/status...8317109248
Qdoba on Fairway Rd is now open. I haven’t been to this local location but I remember when I had it in the states their Burrito Bowl was massive (and they served beer)
(05-03-2018, 07:00 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Qdoba on Fairway Rd is now open. I haven’t been to this local location but I remember when I had it in the states their Burrito Bowl was massive (and they served beer)

I don't know Qdoba.  Is it a table service place, or more like Chipotle with more selections?
Its almost exactly the same as Chipotle.
(05-03-2018, 09:13 AM)neonjoe Wrote: Its almost exactly the same as Chipotle.

Best tacos and food is better in every way!
I dont know if this has already been posted but it looks like the Corral is closing its doors next month. Saw this in my facebook feed.

https://www.facebook.com/events/374994586331543/

I wonder if that plaza is targeted for an upgrade sooner rather than later. Or perhaps the music & bar venue market is changing?
(05-14-2018, 01:45 PM)nms Wrote: I wonder if that plaza is targeted for an upgrade sooner rather than later.  Or perhaps the music & bar venue market is changing?

Nougat is a fairly recent new tenant, I doubt they would have signed less than a five-year lease. There were some exterior renovations at the same time as well.

Most likely the plaza either has a new tenant lined up -- or Stampede Corral is simply closing.
I recall someone wanting an Indian restaurant in DTK - there is a sign at 183 King E (former Sinla Garden Korean Restaurant) that an Indian restaurant coming soon. Meanwhile, up the street at 137 King E (former Mega Brands Factory Outlet) renovation work is underway for a new Japanese restaurant (still a few months down the road, I think).
(05-16-2018, 07:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I recall someone wanting an Indian restaurant in DTK - there is a sign at 183 King E (former Sinla Garden Korean Restaurant) that an Indian restaurant coming soon.   Meanwhile, up the street at 137 King E (former Mega Brands Factory Outlet) renovation work is underway for a new Japanese restaurant (still a few months down the road, I think).

Great news on the Indian restaurant! And if the Japanese restaurant is not all-you-can-eat, I will be even happier.
(05-17-2018, 07:48 AM)tomh009 Wrote:
(05-16-2018, 07:26 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I recall someone wanting an Indian restaurant in DTK - there is a sign at 183 King E (former Sinla Garden Korean Restaurant) that an Indian restaurant coming soon.   Meanwhile, up the street at 137 King E (former Mega Brands Factory Outlet) renovation work is underway for a new Japanese restaurant (still a few months down the road, I think).

Great news on the Indian restaurant! And if the Japanese restaurant is not all-you-can-eat, I will be even happier.

Hear, hear. Best case would be open on Sundays and not all-you-can-eat. We can dream.
(05-17-2018, 10:29 AM)plam Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 07:48 AM)tomh009 Wrote: Great news on the Indian restaurant! And if the Japanese restaurant is not all-you-can-eat, I will be even happier.

Hear, hear. Best case would be open on Sundays and not all-you-can-eat. We can dream.

I am annoyed every time I walk past Kinkaku and see the word "Izakaya". Smile  Makes me want to open a "real" izakaya where salarymen (and other people!) can hang out, drink, chat and eat various things with no pressure or time limit.

It was originally like that before they freaked out and changed formats.
The change of format was a necessity for Kinkaku. Over 90% of walk-ins assumed all Japanese restaurants were all-you-can-eat sushi, and most left upon discovering that Kinkaku wasn't that. It was bankruptcy or a change of format.

Fortunately I do think KW's tastes have evolved somewhat since that era, and we've seen Ken's do well offering a non-AYCE option. Kinkaku ownership is interested in giving a proper Izakaya another try now, but are understandably hesitant after the previous attempt.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »