Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Went out on my lunch break and got a few more shots.  (Apologies for the bad zooms, it's all just from my phone...)

Bearinger Rd TPSS switches on:
[Image: 39827901622_872c3cd4a7_b.jpg]

Based on what I'd seen in Millhaven, I really expected these lights on the top of the OCS polls to be flashing when the power in the system was on.  They weren't, but LRV 504 was running anyway.

Edit: Someone in the Facebook group mercifully pointed out that these are surge arrestors. Now I want to go back to Millhaven with binoculars to see what was really flashing on the tops of some of their poles!
[Image: 39860304381_1e375ce204_b.jpg]

504 stopped on the northbound track between Bearinger Rd and Quiet Pl:
[Image: 39860305731_9462c99d21_b.jpg]

There was some extra diagnostic equipment inside 504 that was wired up to the roof through the windows:
[Image: 39860305171_6967277309_b.jpg]

At one point the front door on the far side opened and the ground crew stood in it talking to the folks inside.  After a minute or so an automatic female voice chimed out "Please don't block the doors!" then repeated itself in french.  Wish I'd gotten that on video!
[Image: 39860307961_5b1603dd61_b.jpg]

Heading from the Quiet Place trail crossing up to Old Albert on the northbound track:
504 heading south on the northbound track before being put away for the day:
Awesome, Kevin! Nice videography, too. Smile
And off to bed for the day:

(Sorry for the quality, digital zoom only on my phone.)
So disappointing to see it being put away before 3pm. That’s like 4 hours out on the track.

Where’s the fire?

Can’t wait to watch (and listen!) to your videos when I get home from work.
(01-23-2018, 04:00 PM)Canard Wrote: So disappointing to see it being put away before 3pm. That’s like 4 hours out on the track.

Where’s the fire?

Can’t wait to watch (and listen!) to your videos when I get home from work.

4 hours on the track (for initial self powered testing) seems reasonable to me...

What fire?

This is the second time I heard on my scanner that the vehicle lost power and they had to reboot. They mentioned Bombardier staff went on board and started it back up. Maintenance asked if it needed a tow, so maybe that why it finishes testing so early.
What frequency are they using?

Fire meaning the spring deadline. Get going, guys...
Fire would imply there are financial penalties for Bombardier, but I believe we've exhausted all ones we'd legally be entitled to. From their perspective, creating a quality system, while focusing energies on orders and issues that still have financial penalties (or future contracts) tied to them would likely be the focus.
(01-23-2018, 05:57 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Fire would imply there are financial penalties for Bombardier, but I believe we've exhausted all ones we'd legally be entitled to. From their perspective, creating a quality system, while focusing energies on orders and issues that still have financial penalties (or future contracts) tied to them would likely be the focus.

I don't think Canard was referring to Bombardier... I think he referred to how slow the system testing is going with the trains we do have (which are sufficient for full line powered testing).
(01-23-2018, 05:50 PM)Canard Wrote: What frequency are they using?

Fire meaning the spring deadline. Get going, guys...

They use the Waterloo Region EDACS Trunk System, here is a link to the system:  https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=1783
(01-23-2018, 05:47 PM)Square Wrote: This is the second time I heard on my scanner that the vehicle lost power and they had to reboot.  They mentioned Bombardier staff went on board and started it back up.  Maintenance asked if it needed a tow, so maybe that why it finishes testing so early.

Interesting.  When I first caught up with it between Bearinger and Quiet Place its side display briefly showed a software version number and then went blank.  I thought that looked like a reboot.

Edit to add:  Hmm, I wonder if that's why the lights at the top of the OCS pole at Bearinger were off even though Iain saw that the one by Northfield was on?  Maybe it wasn't the vehicle that lost power, but the line.

Further edit: Scratch that, someone in the Facebook group mercifully pointed out that what I thought were 'power on' lights were really surge arrestors.

Sounds like an electrical continuity issue
(01-23-2018, 05:57 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Fire would imply there are financial penalties for Bombardier, but I believe we've exhausted all ones we'd legally be entitled to. From their perspective, creating a quality system, while focusing energies on orders and issues that still have financial penalties (or future contracts) tied to them would likely be the focus.

I meant GrandLinq. The optics of having a train come out for "an hour or two" and crawl along once every 3 weeks is pretty upsetting, when we're being told over and over "Oh, it'll open in Spring".

I know these things take time, but... the startup of testing has been agonizingly slow, given the pace of construction that I could barely keep up with.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »