Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The Breithaupt Block | 16 m | 4 fl | Complete
Craig Beattie will be presenting at the Mount Hope Breithaupt Park Neighbourhood AGM. My guess is that he would like to talk about this building. Zoning changes will be required and this is a tall development for this space.

I'd agree re Breithaupt, especially given the Waterloo St link to the future Transit Hub and, one assumes, future higher uses of the Boehmer Box building.
That's absolutely gorgeous! I can get past the OCAD-like pencil stilts at the front, since they're all one colour. Smile
I don't feel very strongly about this, but my thinking when making the statement was in fact that Wellington and Moore are more major streets. Breithaupt is a cul-de-sac, ultimately. But I guess it might have more development potential in the shorter term (Moore probably won't, but Wellington might down the road).
Breithaupt definitely seems like the lower use street right now, but there's also still solely industrial/office reuse space along the south side, and a lot of likely open for change buildings on the north side. Could be a very interesting pedestrian experience, as Wellington becomes more car-focused (as no lefts at Victoria from King becomes more strictly enforced).

Still, activating Moore as a parallel street with activity, akin to Regina in UpTown, would be excellent. The ODG site also fronts Moore, as do several businesses up near Union. Right now, as designed, this building says to anyone coming up from Moore and King, that they should go down Breithaupt (which Google definitely makes a very dead space most of the day), and should not go down Moore (which ultimately has the longer-term potential to actually be activated in proximity to the Breithaupt/Moore intersection).
It looks great -- and means a lot more Google people working (and hopefully also living) downtown.

But the former McDonald's is not included in this development, right?
I can see a lot of pedestrian and cyclist traffic on Breithaupt once the transit hub opens.

Quote:But the former McDonald's is not included in this development, right?
No, that's the other side of Moore (the blank triangle lower-left in the render).

Gotta front those stores where the captive patrons, I mean Googlers, can best access them :)

I'm not sure that (motor vehicle) volume of store fronting street matters. Signs can (and likely will) go up on multiple faces for advertising "We have an X here now!" purposes.
This looks awesome. I'm happy to see Google is so bullish on KW. It looks like they'd be doubling (or more) their workforce with this second phase.
I don't think phase 3 includes any storefronts, it's all office meant for Google, even the ground floor.
This is the city's hope for Breithaupt St:

Was the detailed streetscape master plan and cost estimate for Breithaupt St (from King/Moore to Weber St) completed or still in progress?
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
Really like the look of this proposal, we should probably create a new thread for the project.
Hopefully the next phase will see a tower built on top of the parking garage.
(10-05-2017, 05:02 PM)urbd Wrote: I don't think phase 3 includes any storefronts, it's all office meant for Google, even the ground floor.

876 sq m of retail space.

(10-05-2017, 10:35 PM)panamaniac Wrote:
(10-05-2017, 05:02 PM)urbd Wrote: I don't think phase 3 includes any storefronts, it's all office meant for Google, even the ground floor.

876 sq m of retail space.

Where did you guys find all this info?
Here via here.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »