Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(10-03-2017, 09:57 AM)Canard Wrote: The switch was locked. So they had to pull it all the way up to Elmira, while someone (presumably) made some phone calls and got the switch for the siding unlocked.

The security guys guarding it on Randall said that it showed up “very late” last night.

Thanks for the update. That answers a question I had about security before moving into the OMSF — good to know they’re keeping an eye on it. It would be really sad if our brand new vehicles got tagged overnight.

(10-03-2017, 01:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:  I know they still stop on University at the Waterloo Spur.

Well, yes; this, along with Seagram, Columbia, Bearinger and Northfield, is a mid-block rail crossing with dropping bars, crossbuck signs, etc. It's very different than the street-parallel sections.
Here's the videos I took this morning:

(10-03-2017, 01:59 PM)KevinL Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 01:41 PM)ijmorlan Wrote:  I know they still stop on University at the Waterloo Spur.

Well, yes; this, along with Seagram, Columbia, Bearinger and Northfield, is a mid-block rail crossing with dropping bars, crossbuck signs, etc. It's very different than the street-parallel sections.

Yes, definitely. Personally I think there should be an exemption for all LRT crossings, and all Waterloo Spur crossings between the junction in Kitchener and Northfield (inclusive), but it really would be outrageous if buses continued to stop at in-street LRT trackage, due to the safety hazard caused by doing so. What would they do if they were in Toronto?
They'll never get an exemption for the spur line as it technically remains a heavy-rail line.

Ottawa has an exemption for the VIA rail line, as far as I know.
(10-03-2017, 04:35 PM)KevinL Wrote: They'll never get an exemption for the spur line as it technically remains a heavy-rail line.

The requirement that buses stop at all rail crossings is actually only a policy made at the Regional level. The law only requires buses to stop at unsignalized crossings.  Ottawa has level crossings on their Transitway that buses do not stop for.
(Googling for the exact law is failing me right now, but here's a link that references it: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handboo...3-12.shtml )

I think I heard that they might look into changing this policy after ION starts running.  University Ave will come to a standstill once full service is running, if they don't do anything.
(10-03-2017, 04:49 PM)Markster Wrote:
(10-03-2017, 04:35 PM)KevinL Wrote: They'll never get an exemption for the spur line as it technically remains a heavy-rail line.

The requirement that buses stop at all rail crossings is actually only a policy made at the Regional level. The law only requires buses to stop at unsignalized crossings.  Ottawa has level crossings on their Transitway that buses do not stop for.
(Googling for the exact law is failing me right now, but here's a link that references it: http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handboo...3-12.shtml )

I think I heard that they might look into changing this policy after ION starts running.  University Ave will come to a standstill once full service is running, if they don't do anything.

I did not know about the Regional policy. That makes it simple: the Region should simply revert to the federal (not provincial I assume?) rules for the entire Waterloo spur and all LRT track. The Waterloo spur in no way needs buses to be stopping at it, certainly not at protected crossings. It’s just silly and doesn’t enhance safety one bit.

Unfortunately, that handbook page you linked indicates the rules are different for school buses — they have to stop at all crossings. I think this is ridiculous but that seems to be the current rule. We should at least be able to say that LRT track locations, especially the “in-street” ones, are not “railway” crossings, but I’m not a transportation lawyer so who knows.

As to University Ave., I don’t see what buses stopping has to do with a difference resulting from service starting — the gates will come down more often, but there won’t be more buses stopping when the gates are up. Unless you mean that the combination of buses stopping whenever they arrive with all traffic stopping when trains are present will increase the impediment to road traffic flow enough to slow the road down significantly?
So now that LRV #2 is here, when is testing on the test track supposed to start?
(10-04-2017, 11:25 AM)urbd Wrote: So now that LRV #2 is here, when is testing on the test track supposed to start?

Depends how long inspection and installation of signalling equipment in the LRV takes
As per Keolis at the last open house, and Tom in the media, Bombardier needs “about a week” with it, then we’ll see it out on the line. So, right after thanksgiving.

(10-03-2017, 09:04 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: Unfortunately, that handbook page you linked indicates the rules are different for school buses — they have to stop at all crossings. I think this is ridiculous but that seems to be the current rule. We should at least be able to say that LRT track locations, especially the “in-street” ones, are not “railway” crossings, but I’m not a transportation lawyer so who knows.

The in-street tracks are not "railway" crossings, and school buses shouldn't have to stop for them. The other usual rules about railway crossings also don't apply. As far as I know, if there isn't a crossbuck, it isn't a railway crossing.
Hadn't realized they'd pulled it into Northfield Station at one point. Not too bad a fit wtih the platform. https://twitter.com/BombardierRail/statu...2479192065
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »