Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Region of Waterloo International Airport - YKF
Exclusivity for 2 years seems pretty inconsequential to me. If a new operator sets up, it's going to be at least that long for the service to gain enough use for it to be a potential target for competition.

And frankly, I don't think that many airlines are interested in running competitive services at YKF. They're clearly barely even interested in running non-competitive services here.

There's been some examples (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ne...-1.3920153) where Westjet/Air Canada have run routes seemingly to cause their competitors problems.  They're not looking at it as a profitable route that they want to also run to make money, as much as just stopping their competitor from making any money.  They're happy to lose money if in the bigger picture it also causes their smaller competitor to lose money.

In the end, I'm not sure if its a significant factor in an airline choosing to operate out of YKF - but it doesn't hurt us at all to make the offer and it has some benefit to new operators.  Seems like a smart decision to me.
Tom Galloway tweeted this link:

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/waterloo-a...ve-access/

Quote:ULCCs have been concerned about the possibility of, “unreasonable competitive behaviour by other carriers that may seek to erode their viability on new routes,” according to a report to the municipal council that oversees the Waterloo airport.
Lets be honest... only when Porter started operations did Air Canada want in the island airport, but they were blocked.

Had they been allowed to enter the island, they would of duplicated Porter flights at a cheaper price. This is Air Canada 101. [Although WestJet is now a big enough player to steal from their Playbook, like they did to the two US flights announced by New Leaf in YHM]

Personally, I'm glad Porter was given a chance to prove themselves and eventually be the successful company they are today.

Coke
WestJet aims to offer 40% cheaper fares with new ultra-low-cost carrier 'Swoop’

Quote:While the company announced that Swoop’s headquarters will be located in Calgary, Alta., the same home base as WestJet, the list of markets the airline will serve has yet to be finalized. Cummings confirmed that Swoop will fly in and out of the Abbotsford Airport, located southeast of Vancouver, and that there are ongoing discussions with major airports in Canada as well as the Hamilton, Waterloo and Windsor airports. The goal, he said, is it launch progressive partnerships with airports that will also “repatriate some of the Canadians going across the border” to access cheaper flights.
Seems like there could be competition for exclusive rights to YKF-YXX.
Based on this article I expect Air Canada to jump into the fray at YKF.

Just in time for the ulcc's to start flying from YKF.

State of the art air traffic control tower opens at the Regional Airport
New York and Chicago would be nice. Seattle would be a given if we get even a small part of the Amazon campus.
jgsz Wrote:Just in time for the ulcc's to start flying from YKF.

State of the art air traffic control tower opens at the Regional Airport

Well out with the old, and in with the new.  But before we go ahead and demolish the old tower, here is one final walk thru just for the WRC community! Smile  Welcome to Coke's Urban Exploration!

Outside the old tower.

Offices behind reception desk.

The old "lighthouse" beacon from the roof.

Also on the main floor was a small work out room and a full kitchen (Not pictured)  Then up the stairs to the second floor.

On the 2nd floor was the all the IT servers, and I assume other electronic equipment required for the tower.  I then climbed the stairs to the 3rd floor where there was a bathroom and a small lounge.  In the middle of the floor was a door that opened to a spiral staircase that took you up top! [Sorry, didn't picture it]

Where all the radar screens once sat.

Looking Northeast from the tower. (New tower in background)

Looking southeast towards Flight Line Aviation and the Main Terminal Building.

Looking Northwest towards Fountain St and the Chartright Aviation Hanger (Formerly Millard Air Hanger)

Coke
Looks like they're planning to save the beacon. Kind of glad to see that.

(09-27-2017, 12:32 PM)jgsz Wrote: Based on this article I expect Air Canada to jump into the fray at YKF.

An opportunity for YKF-YOW, perhaps?
 Details of Swoop's route network remain scant, but Mr Cummings confirmed to the Post that Swoop would fly from Abbotsford, and the airline is holding discussions with major Canadian airports as well as the smaller facilities of Toronto Hamilton, Waterloo and Windsor airport. 

« Next Oldest | Next Newest »