Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
My husband (who uses GRT) says it is quite different. Says the GRT one is much more refined.

This voice is one step up from this:

Also, how did literally everyone miss that they pulled 501 all around the yard last week, and even staged a fake derailment?! Sad

(I admit I haven't done my usual bike loop up that way for a couple of weeks, figuring nothing was going on. Boy, was I wrong!)
Yikes! Sounds like a Cylon from the original Battlestar Galactica. Amusingly menacing.
So I did here that while passing Borden station today. I thought my ears were playing tricks on me!
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
(09-16-2017, 02:37 PM)JoeKW Wrote:
(09-15-2017, 10:11 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Does it matter?

Angry people vote, so it does matter quite a bit. We don't want some reactionary idiots running our cities.

Democracy can’t work if people insist on electing idiots like Jay Aissa. Even if he had policies I agreed with and Seiling had significant policies I disagreed with, I would still vote for Seiling because I want our Region run competently. Same comment applies to the Fords and Trump.
Yeah, it was booming out of Frederick and echoing off the buildings when we drove past later in the day. I laughed out loud - I love it.

Other goodies to share from today:
  • A mock derailment was executed this past week, with emergency services on site to practice.
  • 501 was towed through the yard; every section of track has now been traversed. (How did we all miss this?!)
  • Audible Text-to-Speech announcements were being made over at least the Northfield and Frederick platforms - I assume just for today. I only mention Frederick because as we drove by later in the afternoon, I heard the robotic voice booming against the nearby buildings!)
  • the "test track" has been expanded to encompass all the way up to Conestoga as well.
  • trains will *always* get priority, at every light - the concept is they will never be stoped by a red light. This is different from what had been communicated in the past, which I think was an incorrect inference that the priority function would operate as it does on busses, where only behind schedule vehicles get priority.
Also of note: because the command centre is now staffed 24/7, the public can use the help points on the platforms at any time for any emergency assistance.

Yes; and all the cameras are rolling! So everybody be good! Big Grin
(09-16-2017, 10:03 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: (...) it's that aside from places like WRC, any discussion of the LRT is met with either overwhelming dislike or indifference.

At least at our office (a techie environment in DTK) this is not the case.
Tours of Ion nerve centre popular, but no date when first train will run
"We're hoping sometime in 2018." As in "don't make me tell you that it might not be until 2019"?
(09-16-2017, 09:50 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(09-16-2017, 10:03 AM)Bob_McBob Wrote: (...) it's that aside from places like WRC, any discussion of the LRT is met with either overwhelming dislike or indifference.

At least at our office (a techie environment in DTK) this is not the case.

My techie office in the suburbs on the other hand...

It's surprising how many BlackBerry employees live at the opposite end of town, by Bleams and/or Trussler.
I was dead set against LRT when it was first proposed. Once I learned that initially it would be less about moving people and more about spurning development in the core and along the route I was on board. The core development including proposed projects that we are seeing proves that it was a great decision for that reason. I'll wait till the system is up and running to see the numbers using it before I make a final judgement on the overall success of ION. I personally do not see myself using the system even though I live a 10 minute bus ride from the core. Sorry if this offends people on this site but I use a car for the majority of my transportation needs. I also cycle recreationally and am an avid walker. We need to be aware that people come from a wide variety of demographics. Where they live, where they work, do they have children, number of children, activities that those children are involved in, activities and volunteering that adults with and without kids are involved with all play a role in transportation requirements. I have total respect for those that use cycling, walking and public transit for their transportation requirements. Often it is because of economic needs and for that reason I agree with investing in public transport. At the same time we need to respect those like myself that will never use public transportation for the reasons listed above plus others that we may not be aware of.

@ creative

Good post.

May I ask why you initially opposed LRT? Not looking to debate it with you. That would be rather pointless as the project is done. Just genuinely curious. Was it the cost? A belief that it was not needed? Would be under used?

Cheers
The cost verses the possible use but as mentioned above I'm not going to prejudge. I Was born and raised a block from King street with regular bus service to downtown, uptown, the universities Conestoga and Fairview malls. I question what added enticement there is to get people out of the convenience of their cars.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »