Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 4.38 Average
Charlie West (Charles & Gaukel) | 31 fl | Complete
Wow!!

Um, that giant tree in the foreground is certainly... fictional.
This is SUCH a perfect spot for it, and a wonderful view of Victoria Park. This tower seems to really be overshadowing... well, everything, though. I'm positive the city's going to chop it's height down.
I'm curious what they envision for parking (requirements and where they would put it), sidewalk pedestrian experience, and the full commercial layout.
Looks like parking is in the section abutting Manulife (behind that wavy screening), and possibly also in the basement. But hoppefully requirements will be low given proximity to transit.
(03-29-2017, 05:21 PM)GtwoK Wrote: This is SUCH a perfect spot for it, and a wonderful view of Victoria Park. This tower seems to really be overshadowing... well, everything, though. I'm positive the city's going to chop it's height down.

Why?  I can't think of any argument against that height at that location, unless parking requirements become an issue.  It won't interfere with the view of City Hall Berlin Tower looking up Gaukel from Victoria Park.  It is literally at an LRT station.  Plus there are no NIMBYs to get agitated in this case and the Downtown business community would likely be very favourable.

I wonder whether the site will need remediation?  Did the coal tar clean-up from number of years ago get anywhere near this site?
Now what would be cool is if they could get an agreement with Manulife to share some parking. While Manulife fills up pretty good during the day, there are hundreds upon hundreds of spaces directly adjacent to this development which are empty every night and on weekends. If any site could afford shared parking (massive single user for the day), it would be a spot like this.

(03-29-2017, 05:21 PM)GtwoK Wrote: This is SUCH a perfect spot for it, and a wonderful view of Victoria Park. This tower seems to really be overshadowing... well, everything, though. I'm positive the city's going to chop it's height down.

i believe the city has already given the go ahead.... 24 storeys though not 25 unless they count the basement/first floor which is exposed cause of the grade change either way awesome to see a 24/25 storey condo here
(03-29-2017, 06:17 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Now what would be cool is if they could get an agreement with Manulife to share some parking. While Manulife fills up pretty good during the day, there are hundreds upon hundreds of spaces directly adjacent to this development which are empty every night and on weekends. If any site could afford shared parking (massive single user for the day), it would be a spot like this.

This really would be ideal.  I imagine at least some manulife employees would love to live there as well.  That being said, the driving patterns of a downtown condo building might not actually fit with this, while many people may own cars in that building for groceries, etc. even though they take transit to work every day, because they're wealthy enough to do so.  This might mean cars are left in parking spaces far more than expected.

Hopefully some arrangement can be worked out though.
The only necessary cleanup would be if the gasoline tanks had an issue over the years, I imagine.
(03-29-2017, 03:50 PM)timio Wrote: Windows to the outside world are much better than nothing which was there before, even if it's onto a nearby building.  Any natural light is good for working conditions, IMO.
But that only works if the building beside doesn't cover the windows, which it seems this one will.

(03-29-2017, 05:25 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: I'm curious what they envision for parking (requirements and where they would put it), sidewalk pedestrian experience, and the full commercial layout.

From a community meeting last night, 0.8 per unit, with 2 decks below grade and 3 above. Vehicular access is supposed to be off Hall's Lane.

(03-29-2017, 06:13 PM)panamaniac Wrote: I wonder whether the site will need remediation?  Did the coal tar clean-up from number of years ago get anywhere near this site?

Apparently it does need remediation, but surprisingly not from the coal tar or gas station: there used to be a dry cleaner on site (?).

(03-29-2017, 06:17 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Now what would be cool is if they could get an agreement with Manulife to share some parking. While Manulife fills up pretty good during the day, there are hundreds upon hundreds of spaces directly adjacent to this development which are empty every night and on weekends. If any site could afford shared parking (massive single user for the day), it would be a spot like this.
Yes, this would be great. Momentum did something interesting with parking at 1 Victoria: condo buyers don't own their spots, but instead have a perpetual lease, so it should be easier to reuse parking spaces (shared between condo owners and day users), and adapt to increasing or decreasing demand for spaces over time.
They also plan to have car share spots.

Other tidbits: it sounds like the building will have some amenities to cater to groups not well served by condos here today: dog owners and families. Plans call for some sort of astroturf doggy relief area on the top of the podium, and a dog wash / dog spa. There's talk of a playroom off the gym with a glass wall so parents can watch their kids while working out. Also apparently 15% accessible units of various sizes / locations in the building. Tri-sorting for garbage.
Oh, one other comment on the renders: I appreciate that there's no "condo comb-over" on here!
(03-29-2017, 07:30 PM)EdM Wrote: Oh, one other comment on the renders: I appreciate that there's no "condo comb-over" on here!

Thank goodness - that's an architectural quirk that's going to leave an awful lot of building looking quite date a few years from now.

The render looks stunning, density would be excellent at this location. I wonder if they are targeting the project to be mixed use.

One can only imagine what Downtown and the surrounding area will look like in 10 to 20 years.
The Record confirms that the project will be retail on the first floor.

http://m.therecord.com/news-story/721592...-kitchener
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »