Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(03-29-2017, 12:46 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 12:24 PM)danbrotherston Wrote: "dead end"....for cars.  It's supposed to have a pedestrian access to the new terminal, but the positioning of the TPSS has made that extremely difficult to achieve.  At best, there will be pedestrian access crammed between an ugly TPSS and a loading dock for the Google building, hardly an safe and inviting view, at worst, there just won't be pedestrian access.

The space is reasonably wide for pedestrian-only access, far wider than a pair of broad downtown sidewalks, so not really "crammed" in my view.  If the alignment prevents the construction of the underpass, though, then I'll need to retract my comments.

Yes, the TPSS doesn't look nice at the moment, as I said.  Hopefully they are planning to do something about that.  If they won't do anything, I'll be disappointed.

It wouldn't be a problem for *just* pedestrians, but it isn't *just* pedestrians, there also needs to be space for trucks to access the loading dock at the Google building.  And that space cannot be shared with the pedestrian pass because it is at a different level.  All of a sudden is is very cramped.

(03-29-2017, 02:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’ve never understood this. The contamination is bad enough that it must be cleaned up if anything is done with the site, but not bad enough that it can’t just sit there indefinitely. What’s wrong with pouring a concrete pad on top of the existing ground and dropping the TPSS on the pad? Or, if that’s not OK, how is it OK to just leave the contamination there?

I find this frustrating as well. The region/city should just have forced it to be cleaned up, or covered the cost. Although, I feel like for a TPSS they maybe should have been able to get away without doing it. Regardless, leaving it as a contaminated site doesn't seem like a long term solution.

Does anyone know where that contamination would have come from anyway? Is it just from the railway?
The School of Pharmacy is on the site of the former BF Goodrich/Epton factory, so the soil may be contaminated with harmful chemicals used in the rubber industry.

I'm no expert in the area, but building on contaminated land without cleaning it up may not be possible. If it is, you may end up being held liable for future harm, which could end up costing you more than just removing the contamination in the first place.
I don't know the details, but I can imagine there are lots of cases where contamination is "fine" (read - below a somewhat arbitrary threshold) when the ground is left alone or only minimally disturbed but where its not "fine" to have heavy equipment running over it, digging it up, etc.

Edit: This is one of those cases where I feel like just because we don't know the reason, doesn't mean there isn't a good one.  Sure, sometimes its something 'silly', but more often than not the people that know what they're doing actually know what they're doing.  At least in terms of the people that say the contamination would need to be cleaned up.  The decision of where to put the TPSS and money to be spent on cleaning up the contamination may be a totally separate matter.
(03-29-2017, 03:04 PM)SammyOES2 Wrote: I don't know the details, but I can imagine there are lots of cases where contamination is "fine" (read - below a somewhat arbitrary threshold) when the ground is left alone or only minimally disturbed but where its not "fine" to have heavy equipment running over it, digging it up, etc.

Edit: This is one of those cases where I feel like just because we don't know the reason, doesn't mean there isn't a good one.  Sure, sometimes its something 'silly', but more often than not the people that know what they're doing actually know what they're doing.  At least in terms of the people that say the contamination would need to be cleaned up.  The decision of where to put the TPSS and money to be spent on cleaning up the contamination may be a totally separate matter.

I agree in principle, but almost certainly it is an issue of cost.  But almost certainly the opportunity cost was not considered in the new location, given that Grandlinq doesn't pay that.
Personally, I think the TPSS is in a terrible spot. It has effectively screwed over the Breithaupt Block by removing access to their loading dock. I wonder if they knew this was coming, or if it came as a surprise. Additionally, it has limited access to the Boehmer Box building, and is unsightly to the neighborhood.

If the Epton grounds are so contaminated, how was a parking lot first constructed on it after the factory was torn down, then the U of W Pharmacy building?
Canard, Corrected for you....

Coke

(03-29-2017, 03:47 PM)Chicopee Wrote: If the Epton grounds are so contaminated, how was a parking lot first constructed on it after the factory was torn down, then the U of W Pharmacy building?

The soil under those areas was cleaned up when they were built. The TPSS was to go into a strip between that and the railway which was presumably not cleaned up, and that cleanup somehow came as a surprise to the Region/GrandLinq.
(03-29-2017, 02:08 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 02:00 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: I’ve never understood this. The contamination is bad enough that it must be cleaned up if anything is done with the site, but not bad enough that it can’t just sit there indefinitely. What’s wrong with pouring a concrete pad on top of the existing ground and dropping the TPSS on the pad? Or, if that’s not OK, how is it OK to just leave the contamination there?

I find this frustrating as well.  The region/city should just have forced it to be cleaned up, or covered the cost.  Although, I feel like for a TPSS they maybe should have been able to get away without doing it.  Regardless, leaving it as a contaminated site doesn't seem like a long term solution.

Does anyone know where that contamination would have come from anyway?  Is it just from the railway?

Keep in mind that, in addition to the rail line, that area was historically lined with manufacturing industries for over a century.  I suspect that if you were able to find land down that way that ISN'T contaminated, you'd be eligible for some sort of a prize.
(03-29-2017, 06:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Keep in mind that, in addition to the rail line, that area was historically lined with manufacturing industries for over a century.  I suspect that if you were able to find land down that way that ISN'T contaminated, you'd be eligible for some sort of a prize.

Lol, I live like 50 meters from that railway...:S.
(03-29-2017, 07:01 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(03-29-2017, 06:33 PM)panamaniac Wrote: Keep in mind that, in addition to the rail line, that area was historically lined with manufacturing industries for over a century.  I suspect that if you were able to find land down that way that ISN'T contaminated, you'd be eligible for some sort of a prize.

Lol, I live like 50 meters from that railway...:S.

I'm sure that no toxic vapours are wafting through your windows or seeping into your basement.  Nothing to see here folks, move along....  Wink

It's quite fortunate that none of the contamination that prevented placing the TPSS where King meets the rail line was found a few feet away where King was excavated under the rail line.
(03-29-2017, 03:51 PM)Coke6pk Wrote: Canard, Corrected for you....

I laughed out loud once I saw it.  Took me a second.  You win.  Smile

1/5 Sunday, March 26, 2017

Duke St.  I like how the aspect signals are all lined up.

The anchor wall went up on Friday (the 24th).  Note the crew working away on a Sunday in the tent.

Mill Station now has the wraps off.

Catenary up all along the Huron Spur now.  Neat transition here - this is looking South where the Conestoga Parkway is.  Note the tensioners there...

...the tensioners for the South run are on the other side of the overpass. So, through the tunnel, there are actually four contact wires.

2/5 Sunday, March 26, 2017

Curve at Hayward/Courtland.  Note the temporary (?) sidewalk connection there on the far side with asphalt.

Pedestrian crossing arms at Courtland/Hayward.

A sidewalk is going on on the Southwest side of the Rapidway, along Courtland, between at least Block Line and Shelley.  Maybe you guys will get your sidewalk after all.

Crossing arms galore at Block Line/Courtland.  Note the one in the centre of the frame is to inhibit right turns when heading South on Courtland, turning onto Block Line.  Interesting setup.

More pedestrian crossing arms at Block Line/Courtland.
3/5 Sunday, March 26, 2017

The tamper up at Research and Technology.  There was a crew of two guys in it; it looked to me like they were trying to figure out how to (carefully) get it over the gauntlet track switch heaters without damaging them.  They were taking lots of pictures and scratching their heads.

Philip St. connection at the North end of the Research & Technology platform.

Wednesday, March 29, 2017

The hoardings are off at the transition curve between Courtland and the Fairway Road Hydro Corridor.

Looking back along the Fairway Road Hydro Corridor, from about Wilson.  Looking forward to seeing the speed limit signs go up here - c'mon 80!!

Non-illuminated, but still great looking ion logo at the Fairway terminal driver's rest area.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »