Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
That's amazing, thank you timio!  This footage is of Metrolinx' Pilot LRV No. 1, now in Millhaven at the brand new assembly hall, where our trains 2-14 will be built.  Here's a second clip:

Edit - LOL Timio in your clip at 0:42 it looks like it just shed a tear. Wink

(02-11-2017, 09:29 AM)Canard Wrote: [*]I'm very sad that Jonathan Enn's Digital Sun didn't make the cut - that, I feel, was the most interesting piece (and the most developed from a conceptual standpoint). I wonder if there were technical issues that couldn't be overcome (cavities fill with snow?)

Wow, that piece looks really good. I guess they couldn't find a station to put it. I could see it going in at Mill, but they wanted a homage to German heritage instead I guess.

Can't say I'm a fan of the market one (cat on bike), but I get they want something eclectic to go with the Market theme.
It wouldn't help too much (except for Pilot LRV 1 and maybe 2), since our trains are being built first, then Edmonton's, then Crosstown's.
Edmonton second? Really?
I thought Edmonton shopped with Siemens.
(02-12-2017, 01:48 PM)KevinL Wrote: Edmonton second? Really?

Yes, Millhaven is doing our LRV's 2-14, then in Q3 2017 starting on Edmonton's for the Valley Line.

(02-12-2017, 02:22 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I thought Edmonton shopped with Siemens.

This is for a new line, low-floor, and Bombardier is one of the P3 Consortium partners.
I did just double check, and indeed they intend to open Edmonton's Valley Line in 2020; Toronto's Eglinton Crosstown is set for 2021-22.

(02-12-2017, 11:17 AM)Andy Wrote: Can't say I'm a fan of the market one (cat on bike), but I get they want something eclectic to go with the Market theme.

I do like it -- really, beauty is in the eye of the beholder! Smile
First ion train ships tomorrow! 10-12 days to arrive. Public unveiling event in April.
http://bit.ly/2kktThm

Second vehicle from Kingston expected to ship in June or July.
Everyone move to the back of the bus and we all get home faster.
IT'S HAPPENING
How on earth did you beat me to that? I get updates on my phone direct from ion and it literally just flashed up and boom, there you are. Big Grin I'm too slow!
I literally think I'm having a heart attack. That, or it's the 4 coffees and a monster....
Ooh! http://bit.ly/IONtracker

Yes! And the other key thing to take out of this is that the "vehicle preview" that they hinted at, during the OMSF Open House will happen, in April!
In fairness, it will be harder to fall behind with a 14-vehicle order than a 100+ vehicle order.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »