Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-30-2017, 09:25 PM)Canard Wrote: <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Catenary (both messenger and contact wire) is up on Charles! Bonus: new LED streetlights are on from Benton to Cedar. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> <a href="https://t.co/nYa0V7aCv1">pic.twitter.com/nYa0V7aCv1</a></p>&mdash; iain (@Canardiain) <a href="https://twitter.com/Canardiain/status/826210722753474560">January 30, 2017</a></blockquote>

I know I replied to you on Twitter about this as well.

But when I drove down Charles last week between Benton and Stirling I noticed many of the poles had a separate conduit that came up on the outside of the concrete base and in most cases transitioned upwards as exterior mounted conduit with a small weather head on the top.  I see now from your photo of the top of the pole it is feeding the lights.

I wonder if centrally mounted lighting in this area were an afterthought or just miscoordinated? I see new concrete light poles on the south side of the street with high pressure sodium (HPS) lamps that were installed as part of the original widening.

Those particular poles contain a very large counterweight inside them. There is no room to run conduit/cabling inside the pole.
Question would be whether the central non-counterweight lights and side lights for counterweight pole areas will both have the same light (see the difference in the image above, white vs yellow). I assume it shouldn't be an issue.
Canopy glass is being installed right now at Queen station.
Yellow is "old" lights off to the side. New lights on top of all catpoles are the super-white LED's.
(01-31-2017, 12:52 PM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: Question would be whether the central non-counterweight lights and side lights for counterweight pole areas will both have the same light (see the difference in the image above, white vs yellow). I assume it shouldn't be an issue.

I'm confused. The picture shows centre lights on counterweight poles. I thought that the side lights were going away. At the least, if they are staying, they will be converted to white LEDs, as are all street lights in the Region.
The centre lights on the catpoles are new, and are LED, and are staying.

The outboard lights on the wooden poles are old, are yellowish, and are leaving*.

* - I think? I hope? Why would they keep them?

Aren't those concrete poles?
Yes, it looks like there's other stuff on them too.
(01-31-2017, 12:09 PM)Markster Wrote: Those particular poles contain a very large counterweight inside them.  There is no room to run conduit/cabling inside the pole.

Thanks.  I wasn't paying close enough attention as to which poles they were on.  There are a large number of counter weight poles in that area then because if I remember correctly there were at least 4 or 5 pole with the exterior conduit.
The counterweight poles tend to cluster together, because they are at the end of one run of cable and the start of the next. You would have weight pulling the cable one direction and the other. An engineer can confirm or deny, but I think this means that with two sets of tracks you would have four counterweights.
Correct. At each "overlap" zone you have 4 tensioners.

Halfway along each run, there are fixing cables running diagonally that act as the fixed centre to permit the tensioning to pull from that point. Without that, the whole assembly would just slosh back and forth.
To answer my own question from before: Art project selections for ion will be presented to Council on February 14.

Thanks for the info on the tensioner poles. As an engineer I've always been fascinated with construction and infrastructure projects and am learning a lot about LRT transportation here.
Does anyone know why they are building a "tunnel" at Fairview Park Mall Station?

Coke
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »