Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(01-04-2017, 08:06 PM)BrianT Wrote: The signs have to say 'no stopping' which encompasses all possibilities including 'no parking'.  If there is 'no stopping', then obviously there is 'no parking' either. The 'no stopping' is the most strict of all the prohibitions when you think of it.

The Region has a media release scheduled for later this week regarding parking, and marks the start of a safety campaign. Phew!
Don't tell me the WRC mini-drama of recent days has been for naught? Wink
Well, I'll believe it when I see it!

I've been pushing for a safety campaign for over a year now.
The question must then be asked - did they plan to provide information to promote LRT safety all along, or are they responding to your pressure? I suspect the former, although I may give the Region too much credit, but as a WRC'er, the latter has definite appeal! Wink
They almost certainly have to do some sort of safety campaign...but why now? Cynically, I would expect them to do a safety blitz at whatever cost, end the campaign, and allow just enough time to elapse between the end of the campaign and the launch of the system. Given that they can't keep up a sustained campaign for 16 or 18 months (and they won't), they should wait until closer to when the system is operational?

They should, as always, enforce the rules, of course...
In part because you risk allowing the development of new (illegal and dangerous) autopilot habits of drivers. If you let them use the rapidway as a right turn lane, as a wait-to-turn-left area, as a kiss-n-ride/stop/parking space, then the habit becomes engrained and harder to break, even after the safety campaign. Plus, you create the anti-bad-habit with the blitz, and that hopefully pushes people not to break it when the blitz is over. Otherwise, you risk people thinking it's ok to do since it wasn't enforced for a year.

(01-05-2017, 10:41 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: In part because you risk allowing the development of new (illegal and dangerous) autopilot habits of drivers everyone.

Fixed that for you

The sidewalks in that part of town were in shambles. I don't blame that person for using the alternate concrete path.
Jogging through an active construction zone seems like a bad idea, as CTV Kitchener recently pointed out... there are hazards.
That doesn't look like an active construction zone.
(01-05-2017, 11:35 AM)Canard Wrote:
(01-05-2017, 10:41 AM)Viewfromthe42 Wrote: In part because you risk allowing the development of new (illegal and dangerous) autopilot habits of drivers everyone.

Fixed that for you

GrandLinq Track Inspector who just momentarily removed their Ministry of Labour mandated florescent vest? Big Grin

Coke
At least the person is walking counter to the flow of traffic, and would presumably see a vehicle coming head-on.

Saw that briefly tonight as I drove past, but couldn't get a good look!  I think it's in the platform area, yes?
(01-05-2017, 12:01 PM)Canard Wrote: Jogging through an active construction zone seems like a bad idea, as CTV Kitchener recently pointed out... there are hazards.

If it was an active construction zone it should be barricaded off. I think Granlinq has been pretty good with barricades and safety ropes/tape. Looks like there are a couple of landscapers doing sod work in the background.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »