Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(12-31-2016, 11:15 AM)Canard Wrote: LRT project nearing completion after a challenging year - The Record

This article claims that taxpayers will pay "at least some" of the costs of the dome over King St.  I feel like that is a "Citation needed" moment, as I don't recall any public official saying that.  In fact, I recall the exact opposite.

http://www.570news.com/2016/02/17/more-c...ming-from/

(12-31-2016, 02:47 PM)BrianT Wrote: Taxpayers are going to be paying for part of the dome.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-...-1.3396291

That is from before the article posted by danbrotherston.
Sorry to be so blunt, but... um, who cares? Why did we have to dig this back up? Can we not just let this die?

Did the people making a stink about this care about the hundreds of other projects going on that cost tens of millions in the region?

No?

Okay, moving along then.

Angry
(12-31-2016, 05:51 PM)Canard Wrote: Sorry to be so blunt, but... um, who cares?  Why did we have to dig this back up?  Can we not just let this die?

Did the people making a stink about this care about the hundreds of other projects going on that cost tens of millions in the region?

No?

Okay, moving along then.

Angry

I don't disagree, and I'm not happy about it coming up again either, but it is in the article you linked.  That being said, I doubt the loudest LRT decriers will notice.  If I may make an entirely unsupported and personally insulting statement, they tend not to read to the end of the article, where you might actually find the dome reference.
(12-31-2016, 05:51 PM)Canard Wrote: Sorry to be so blunt, but... um, who cares? Why did we have to dig this back up? Can we not just let this die?

No?

Okay, moving along then.

Angry

The ambiguity (or conflicting info) about who's paying for what causes concern. And yes, the 'hundreds' of projects that cost tens of millions are probably also on their radar, but the Dome got a pretty big spotlight in the news so probably hard for some folks to let go of.
(12-31-2016, 07:49 PM)embe Wrote: The ambiguity (or conflicting info) about who's paying for what causes concern. And yes, the 'hundreds' of projects that cost tens of millions are probably also on their radar, but the Dome got a pretty big spotlight in the news so probably hard for some folks to let go of.

Concern, or curiosity. Who is paying for the added cost in the end? Obviously that should be known.
Why obviously?  Who cares, and why?  Life's short.  It'll cost you a dollar in the end.  I'll send you a dollar.  PM me if you want a dollar.

1/4 - Sunday, January 1, 2017

A whole family of diggers.

King St. Grade Separation.

Carl Zehr once said "We're a big, little city becoming little, big city." I love that quote, and I think this view really shows that transformation.

King/Wellington

King St., in front of Grand River Hospital

2/4 - January 1, 2017

King St., looking South at KCI.

Tram Signals, a first in Ontario.

King St., in front of Grand River Hospital.

Grand River Hospital station.
3/4 - Sunday, January 1, 2017

Grand River Hospital station.

Catenary work started before the holidays between Erb/Caroline and Grand River Hospital, on the Southbound line. Here, you can see the messenger wire, and drops to secure the contact wire (not yet installed).

Looking North on King, from Union.

Future Allen station.
4/4 - Sunday, January 1, 2017

King St., in front of Sun Life.

Foreground: GO/VIA station. Background: King St. Grade Separation, and two sleeping GO trains.
That last photo really highlights how much of a jog the track takes to the left (south). Anyone know why that is, why the bridges weren't lined up?
(01-01-2017, 06:06 PM)Canard Wrote: Why obviously?  Who cares, and why?  Life's short.  It'll cost you a dollar in the end.  I'll send you a dollar.  PM me if you want a dollar.

It's a public project. Costs need to be accounted for. It's going to cost whom how many dollars, is the question. Eventually, that will be figured out, as is appropriate.
And when it's figured out, there's nothing any of us can do about it.

So why worry?

Just move on and enjoy.

I wouldn't say "worry." I don't think anyone who commented wondering about the phrasing in the article you posted seemed "worried."

You might work on your politeness. There's a lot of room for everyone to care about different things. If some people are curious about who will bear the cost of certain things, for whatever their reasons, it's not really important that you care in exactly the same way.

By the way, there are Regional staff who will look very carefully about these costs and try to learn how to manage them for other projects in the future. And it might surprise you to learn that there are ratepayers out there who will be upset about the notion of paying for something like the dome. You can bet the answer "who cares?" won't placate them, and some of us (you don't have to be one, if this doesn't interest you) will want to one day be able to explain who paid what part of the cost, and why.
(01-02-2017, 08:59 AM)MidTowner Wrote: I wouldn't say "worry." I don't think anyone who commented wondering about the phrasing in the article you posted seemed "worried."

You might work on your politeness. There's a lot of room for everyone to care about different things. If some people are curious about who will bear the cost of certain things, for whatever their reasons, it's not really important that you care in exactly the same way.

By the way, there are Regional staff who will look very carefully about these costs and try to learn how to manage them for other projects in the future. And it might surprise you to learn that there are ratepayers out there who will be upset about the notion of paying for something like the dome. You can bet the answer "who cares?" won't placate them, and some of us (you don't have to be one, if this doesn't interest you) will want to one day be able to explain who paid what part of the cost, and why.

Thank you for your points - I hadn't considered this, and appreciate the feedback.

I get a bit snippy around negativity toward the project (since the media loves to lather it on nice and thick and get people all soaped up), and it's hard to initially sort out who's just being pissy for the sake of being pissy, and who actually has valid concerns sometimes.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »