Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
I am surprised that the penalty cap is so low. In deals I have been involved with, I don't remember having a cap.

(12-13-2016, 09:52 PM)Canard Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 08:39 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe we could store them.  But that's pretty much all we could do with them at this point.

Can you elaborate?  This is news to me.  As far as I am aware, the test track schedule was "relaxed" somewhat in light of the late train delivery - a very kind and logical decision, I think, all around.  Why force GrandLinq to blow their brains out with OT to get the Test Track ready, when their worker's time would be better spent finishing up other areas, instead?

Maybe the test track is ready, but where would we run 14 train sets at this point?  It seems that there is still quite a lot of work to get the embedded track and catenaries done, at least in Kitchener.  Or am I completely wrong about what we will do with the 14 sets prior to start of service?  We will run all 14 sets on the test track only?
(12-13-2016, 10:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote: Maybe the test track is ready, but where would we run 14 train sets at this point?  It seems that there is still quite a lot of work to get the embedded track and catenaries done, at least in Kitchener.  Or am I completely wrong about what we will do with the 14 sets prior to start of service?  We will run all 14 sets on the test track only?

All 14 trains must be run for a period of time prior to starting passenger service to break them in, test them.  The full track is not needed for that, and basically they'd planned on running the trains on the completed sections in parallel with finishing the whole track.  As is, we will finish the track, get all of out trains, then wait some additional period of time while trains are broken (you know, watch them drive around empty), in before we can actually ride them.
(12-13-2016, 10:34 PM)tomh009 Wrote:
(12-13-2016, 09:52 PM)Canard Wrote: Can you elaborate?  This is news to me.  As far as I am aware, the test track schedule was "relaxed" somewhat in light of the late train delivery - a very kind and logical decision, I think, all around.  Why force GrandLinq to blow their brains out with OT to get the Test Track ready, when their worker's time would be better spent finishing up other areas, instead?

Maybe the test track is ready, but where would we run 14 train sets at this point?  It seems that there is still quite a lot of work to get the embedded track and catenaries done, at least in Kitchener.  Or am I completely wrong about what we will do with the 14 sets prior to start of service?  We will run all 14 sets on the test track only?

The plan was always that the burn-in for the trains would be performed along the test track - from Erb/Caroline to Northfield. Then in the summer, once GrandLinq hits substantial completion on the remainder of the line, we have 4-6 months of commissioning and simulated service testing along the entire line - and only then will the system open to the public.
So are we ready to burn in 14 train sets now?

I'm not saying the delay is good, but even if BBD were on the original schedule, my gut says we would still be delayed.
The reason for the cap is that Bombardier has savvy salesmen and lawyers and know how to protect themselves.
Tom, as I've said... the test track schedule was relaxed when the delay from Bombarder became significant. The original schedule was that the test track be ready in July 2016 with the expectation of the first train arriving in August 2016. When that slipped to a October 2016 (announced in February 2016, IIRC), it was obvious at that time that the delay would be greater and the schedule for the test track was relaxed. Sure enough, in May 2016 Bombardier modified the schedule again and said the first train would arrive in December 2016. It's now looking like it'll be February.

So. To answer your question, is the test track ready to drop a train on it today? Maybe. I don't know. I think so? The crossing arms have been tested and the control houses were being worked on a month ago or so and I haven't seen much activity since that flurry. So I'd imagine the answer is "yes".

The way this will play out is that there's a good chance now that somewhere mid-delivery of the 14 trains, they'll be able to get off the test track and begin exploring the entire system. Unpowered Pull-through first, then low speed, then actual speed, then simulated service.

GrandLinq is on time and the only spot there's really any notable delay is the King St. Grade Separation and I think that was related to issues with sewer, and then the asphalt plants closed for the winter.

Snow brings another LRT headache, but a quick fix - The Record
(12-13-2016, 09:18 PM)Drake Wrote: Can we argue about the monorail some more?

As long as it’s not from Bombardier, I’m all for a discussion ;-)
Too bad, since Bombardier makes the best monorail system!
I saw crews working this morning at King/Fredrick. It was around -10, even cooler with the wind chill. I hope they are being compensated fairly for working in that weather. I wouldn't want to stay out more than 10 mins in that weather.
(12-14-2016, 06:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Too bad, since Bombardier makes the best monorail system!

I would have thought you would argued Disney.
(12-13-2016, 09:18 PM)Drake Wrote: Can we argue about the monorail some more?

(12-14-2016, 05:58 PM)ijmorlan Wrote: As long as it’s not from Bombardier, I’m all for a discussion ;-)

(12-14-2016, 06:05 PM)Canard Wrote: Too bad, since Bombardier makes the best monorail system!

(12-14-2016, 09:41 PM)Drake Wrote: I would have thought you would argued Disney.

Hey take it outside you folks.

(12-14-2016, 09:41 PM)Drake Wrote:

I would have thought you would argued Disney.

Bombardier built the MK VI's at WDW.

Back to Waterloo Region... I'm sad that there isn't really much going on now.  I knew this day would come, with construction wrapping up, and a huge delay until the first train arrives.  Sad

I can't believe it's still going to be more than a year before opening.

Here are some fun pictures of the Bombardier FLEXITY 2 trams arriving in Gold Coast, Australia.  And you thought the trip from Thunder Bay was rough!

Forgot to post these yesterday! Midday structure work at Queen station, in the cold.

[Image: jmv6bnN.png]

[Image: ug9SoVm.png]
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »