Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
Maybe rail safety needs a new thread. It's rather tiring to read about at this point.

Anyone go through the King street north  and Conestogo rd intersection lately?  The two through lanes are misaligned.  So if you weren't paying attention, drivers in the curb lane would hit the curb on the other side of the intersection, and the other through lane has veer to the left to keep the curb lane open.  Traffic control measure?    Or poorly marked temporary thing until they figure out the rest of the LRT track in this area?
(11-10-2016, 09:07 PM)embe Wrote: Anyone go through the King street north  and Conestogo rd intersection lately?  The two through lanes are misaligned.  So if you weren't paying attention, drivers in the curb lane would hit the curb on the other side of the intersection, and the other through lane has veer to the left to keep the curb lane open.  Traffic control measure?    Or poorly marked temporary thing until they figure out the rest of the LRT track in this area?

There is a similar problem along Victoria St.  I haven't seen the one on King, but I think the Victoria one was an oversight.
(11-10-2016, 09:07 PM)embe Wrote: Anyone go through the King street north  and Conestogo rd intersection lately?  The two through lanes are misaligned.  So if you weren't paying attention, drivers in the curb lane would hit the curb on the other side of the intersection, and the other through lane has veer to the left to keep the curb lane open.  Traffic control measure?    Or poorly marked temporary thing until they figure out the rest of the LRT track in this area?

There's another bad one heading North on King, at Allen. I'm sure all of these will be fixed up and properly marked once the final layer of pavement goes on. They probably don't want to put the lane markings across the concrete of the rapidway now, because if they do, then when they put the final layer of pavement on, they'll have to try and line up any dotted lines exactly how they did before, which isn't easy. This is why I am guessing they haven't put any markings on any rapidway concrete anywhere yet.

The first time I came to this corner I actually wasn't sure if I was in a through lane or a right-turn lane. So I turned right and did a U-turn. Turns out I was in a through lane.
Victoria Westbound just after the kink to the left at the Kaufman Lofts is pretty bad, too. The left turn lane markings are still kinda there so it's pretty confusing as you approach King.
Victoria westbound at King is better than it was originally, but that might be because I'm expecting it now.

(11-10-2016, 10:27 PM)Canard Wrote:

There's another bad one heading North on King, at Allen.  I'm sure all of these will be fixed up and properly marked once the final layer of pavement goes on.  They probably don't want to put the lane markings across the concrete of the rapidway now, because if they do, then when they put the final layer of pavement on, they'll have to try and line up any dotted lines exactly how they did before, which isn't easy.  This is why I am guessing they haven't put any markings on any rapidway concrete anywhere yet.

Anyone tried making a northbound left turn from Northfield to King (i.e. towards Home Depot) lately? With the new opposing signal protected double left turn and tracks through the intersection, seeing oncoming traffic is horrible. I'm surprised due to the geometrics, they didn't make this a dedicated left turn signal as well.
Concrete pour is under way at King and Benton! King could reopen within the week, I'll bet.
...and pavenent in UpTown!!!!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Paving King St in <a href="https://twitter.com/UpTownWaterloo">@UpTownWaterloo</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/rideIONrt">@rideIONrt</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/wrLRT?src=hash">#wrLRT</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/gettingthere?src=hash">#gettingthere</a> <a href="https://t.co/YRWP7vgiYX">pic.twitter.com/YRWP7vgiYX</a></p>&mdash; Tom Galloway (@tomjgalloway14) <a href="https://twitter.com/tomjgalloway14/status/797140443217752065">November 11, 2016</a></blockquote>
itshappening.gif
For what it's worth, the first two Metrolinx Pilot LRV's are still in Thunder Bay. They were supposed to leave for Millhaven in September.

...I don't think we're getting an LRV under our Christmas tree this year. Sad

Hopefully more after Tom Galloway's visit on November 21st.
The Benton/King pour from earlier today:

[Image: CJ8NjXf.jpg]

[Image: 3gZFrqy.jpg]

[Image: p26z7PW.png]

Hopefully we don't have a similar issue here....

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/confusing-inte...01899.html

Coke
I worried about that happening with people turning right off of Erb onto Caroline. They need to go out there with a bucket of red paint or something to make it absolutely clear where the road ROW actually is.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »