Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 15 Vote(s) - 3.93 Average
ION - Waterloo Region's Light Rail Transit
(11-02-2016, 04:03 PM)danbrotherston Wrote:
(11-02-2016, 02:19 PM)timc Wrote: I was in the area today, and it looks like this is happening. The pedestrian crossing button and bumps are both on that side of the post, although the paint on the road hasn't been changed.

I take it that only the paint is changing, not the pedestrian island?

The paint disagreed with the technical drawings.
The island doesn't.  Sad  Dodgy

I like the island. I've used it several times now. But we've discussed that to death already, and it's not going anywhere.
Yeah, I don't see any change happening with the island.
In other news, I also saw a glass truck in the vicinity of the Phillip/R&T Park station today.
(11-01-2016, 01:17 AM)dunkalunk Wrote: Stage 1 routing has been decided and is set.
Stage 2 is still under consideration. Some new information about the feasibility of the rail crossing on Eagle street  came to light which necessitated the Region re-examine the routing for Stage 2. The Region was to present their preferred option for Stage 2 ION this fall, however the consultations have been pushed into the winter.

I can't believe Shantz Hill is on the books again. It is physically impossible for a rail vehicle of any kind to make that incline without a rack. Maple Grove solves the problem but then you have it running through greenfield development, exactly what light rail is meant to hold back - not to mention eliminating Preston service entirely is going to be politically unpalatable. It's going to look like another project that feeds Galt and ignores the rest of the city.

The Galt alternative routes make more sense to me. The hill at GCI is too steep. Rerouting does reduce the likelihood of a connection with a future GO service, unless GO trains are long enough to reach the LRT right of way or they give up on using the old station. The walk would be too long. Proposing a GO station for downtown Galt is certainly an interesting thought, but I would have thought the creek parallel to Beverley was a flood plain, therefore off limits to development.
I believe the idea for Shantz Hill was to ease the grade by partially elevating the track - possibly right across the Speed, if using that alignment. It's tricky, but not impossible.
An elevated track at the base of Shantz Hill would look hideous. I hope they can come up with a better idea.

(11-02-2016, 10:57 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I can't believe Shantz Hill is on the books again. It is physically impossible for a rail vehicle of any kind to make that incline without a rack.

Is it steeper than 6%?
(11-02-2016, 11:49 PM)KevinL Wrote: I believe the idea for Shantz Hill was to ease the grade by partially elevating the track - possibly right across the Speed, if using that alignment. It's tricky, but not impossible.

Or by deepening the cut as it was done on Highway 6 entering Hamilton. What used to be a steep drop over <50m way back in the day became a gradual slope over ~400m in length.

I seem to remember an official bringing this up as an option if Shantz Hill was chosen. It would be expensive, that's for sure, but again not impossible.
(11-03-2016, 06:51 AM)Canard Wrote:
(11-02-2016, 10:57 PM)DHLawrence Wrote: I can't believe Shantz Hill is on the books again. It is physically impossible for a rail vehicle of any kind to make that incline without a rack.

Is it steeper than 6%?

Looking at an elevation map looks close to 6% overall, so starting the drop a 100-200m earlier and smoothing out perfectly over the entire stretch would suffice.
Yep. Our stock trains already will do 6% on King between Victoria and Wellington.

TTC's Outlook can handle even steeper grades with minor modifications (additional powered bogie, and a different gear ratio in the reducer). So nothing outside the realm of possibility here.
It would be more expensive but part of the LRT could be put underground.
/\ I was thinking this too. I have no idea if it's feasible. People like Canard and others who clearly know this stuff well would know, but it would seem doable to me. Would be pretty pricey though I suspect.

Put the LRT in the median, which would drop sooner, leaving the road at its current grade. One big issue is having to rip up the intersection of Shantz Hill and Fountain so soon after the rework that's happening over the next few years.

Not sure if that would bring much favour from the local residents.
(11-01-2016, 08:49 PM)Canard Wrote: OMSF.

Every time this comes up, I parse it as a profanity-laden acronym of disbelief along the lines of WTF. So [[picture of catenary maze]] OMSF, would you look at all of those wires!
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »