Welcome Guest!
In order to take advantage of all the great features that Waterloo Region Connected has to offer, including participating in the lively discussions below, you're going to have to register. The good news is that it'll take less than a minute and you can get started enjoying Waterloo Region's best online community right away.
or Create an Account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Financing of Waterloo Region Connected
How will this new board be financed. Through donations or ads or a combination of the two?

As of right now, neither.

I'm funding things myself because I believe in this project.

That being said, I'm not sure how long that will happen. Im giving thought to both ideas, donations or advertisements. You likely won't see both though. I want to make this site and community as successful as possible, and that does mean there are some financial obligations in terms of the server, the software, etc. How long I can keep funding this myself will soon be seen.
If funding is needed, I will assist to the best of my abilities.
DHLawrence Wrote:If funding is needed, I will assist to the best of my abilities.

I like the idea of giving gold (not unlike reddit) to help pay for site maintenance (not unlike reddit) Those who can contribute can. Those who can't would still have the option of giving karma/kudos/thanks/upgoose on any post they'd like.

I also wouldn't mind the occasional sponsored post if someone has an event they want to promote. We should be careful about opening that up too much though, since I'd hate for the forum to become a soapbox for developers.
On the other hand, if their plans don't pass the forumite acid test, it won't take long for them to find out.
Other options:
  • Small sign-up fee. (Idea from MetaFilter.)
  • Voluntary recurring donations. (Same.)
  • Swag (once the dust settles).
mpd618 Wrote:

I've seen these two do very well for similar support campaigns (see: Subbable, Patreon).

mpd618 Wrote:Other options:
  • Small sign-up fee. (Idea from MetaFilter.)

Did you have something particular in mind?
I've seen in some other "Free" service websites - a couple days each month - when you log on it displays a "Please Donate" page (which a short description of what your money will be used for) asking users make a small donation - $3, $5 or $10 and a link to PayPal.

I've donated a couple times when presented with this.

It's only used 1 or 2 days per month - that way you get the "regulars" who use the site the most and it's not intrusive enough to be annoying. Simply click the "Not this time" button and continue on to the Website.

Not sure how easy it would be to implement using phpBB platform.
We discussed this a little bit but you'll notice there is now an option to donate to WRC at the top of the page.  Or click here.
« Next Oldest | Next Newest »